Apply for beta testing here!

• 28 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Apply for beta testing here!
« on: March 31, 2010, 17:27:57 »
Hi!

In this game, beta testing will work a bit differently from how it normally works. To explain the game itself, it's a platform game very inspired by Super Mario Bros 2 and Lyle in Cube Sector. You can apply for beta testing this game, and if you're accepted you get a copy for free.

There's one catch though, to apply you must be interested in the level editing aspect of the game. You basically apply by responding in this thread linking to a knytt stories level that you have created. I do this to pick testers who are familear with my earlier games and are capable of creating nice levels.

As soon as the beta testing begins, a level design competition will also begin (I'll announce the exact rules by then). After that, there'll be voting (every beta tester gets to vote in a poll) and the two authors of the levels with most votes get a T-Shirt! I also require your permission to put together a third party level pack which may include your level, and release it on the website when the game is released.

Sure, one of the reasons is to really make sure the level editor is tested and works, but I won't lie though, this is also a strategic plan for me to use the beta testing to also have some third party levels out when the game itself is released. As it's directly after a game release it receives the most attention, it will look more attractive to register if there's third party levels available. Don't participate if you don't agree with this!

Note that the beta testing won't begin quite yet. I'm still finishing the new user friendly editor but after that everything should be pretty much ready.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 15:35:53 by Nifflas »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: Apply for beta testing here!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 17:42:52 »
I'm up for this. Definitely. :D

The fathers son is the only one of my levels which can't be found in my sig.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 18:04:39 »
Woo, would love this!
I've made quite a few levels, I think I'm most proud of Medius.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 18:37:13 »
I'm not quite done with the level itself, but I like how it's turning out... Atlantis
Hope you like it Niff! This is definitely something I'd love to do, I absolutely love KS, and I hope the editor is just as good, if not better than the one for Knytt Stories!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 18:39:32 by pumpkin »
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 18:56:12 »
Oh man I'm totally in on this.

Capitalism! is my best level.
good bye

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 20:39:03 »
I'd really like to beta-test, but my only level is crappy... Oh well, what can I lose? Maybe Nifflas likes subways too...

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Yukabacera%20-%20Subway(upd).knytt.bin There you go. Die from the lack of story.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline Well

• View Profile
    • hi im the well
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 21:46:24 »

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 22:26:51 »
Has any other level thus explored the meaning of life?
If you want something more in line with the recent version of Knytt Stories in which shifts are much faster, I can send you the beta of a level I have via private message.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 22:29:23 by KG »

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 22:29:21 »
Sounds good to me. The Storm's Coming

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 23:32:08 »
This one's a reposted old level, but I consider it one of my best:

The World Below

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 02:38:34 »
Guess that means I can't do it. My first level was a complete load of crap. My second level, I feel, had a good design, but the graphics.. weren't very good. I have since made some nice levels, but they are all incomplete or I've been waiting for the archive to release them. :(
Lurk more.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 03:53:00 »
I'm in. This is a really tough choice for me, but I suppose Dark Sea is my best, or at least most liked, or at least most Let's Played. (Maybe I'll get brownie points for the AUA connection. Or maybe Nifflas will hate me for it. Who knows?)
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 06:36:48 »
Oh wow, I can't believe I'm posting. I haven't posted in forever; I hope this doesn't change anything.

Anyway, I'm totally up for this. I created a level a while ago called the forever-rain; Now that I look back however, I see a ton of things that could have been fixed, but people liked it for some reason. Idk :/

It's interesting to hear you talk about a new editor, I thought you were done with that kinda thing. Really excited to try it out, whether I get to beta test it or not C)
knytt stories levels:
the forever rain

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 15:56:47 »
You can apply for beta testing this game, and if you're accepted you get a copy for free.

So game won't be free? oh wait, i saw the other topic.

There's one catch though, to apply you must be interested in the level editing aspect of the game. You basically apply by responding in this thread linking to a knytt stories level that you have created. I do this to pick testers who are familear with my earlier games and are capable of creating nice levels.

So the person with best level wins beta-testing position?

Here is one of my levels: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2049.0
prolly my best level. idk, otherwise there si alot more in the link in my sig.

Offline Saml

• now I've got a pie turtle too
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 20:02:20 »
I would definitely like to beta-test.

My best level that I have posted is the Nifftown, but it was on the old forum so I cannot link to it.
Likewise with my other levels.  :sad:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Now that stars are official, I can go wild down here! :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar:
Quote from: Nifflas
There are many things you can explode. Cats, paintings of fruit, Kaknästornet, factories...