Within a Complex System (WaDF Fangame) - Added Level 1 storyline

• 18 Replies

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
Within a Complex System
A WaDF Fangame

Hey guys, I have had this idea of using the WaDF ball engine created by Niff for a long time. This project I am presenting you all is not to undermine the hard efforts of Pick Yer Poison and all who worked on the WaDF 2 project. The coding and engine of WaCS will be created by me (except the ball engine of course). All I am asking of you guys is to supply my poor drawing skills with some tilesets and computer/system music. I am not asking your full participation in this as I will be putting it all together myself.

I sent Nifflas a PM about this but have not had a response thus far so I will continue until he tells me to stop.

Premises: During his work on a massive bomb to freeze the world, Dr. Cliché had failed and created a ball. Though unknown by all except Dr. Cliché himself, his younger cousin, Fredrik Commonplace, who had not yet received his PhD was also working on a project of his own. His project, though not as devious as Dr. Cliché's was to create the ultimate ball for children to place with. After assembling his ball to perfection, Dr. Cliché entered his lab and pushed Fredrik into the portal his was developing so he could enter through his computer into the internet. After seeing his master disappear into oblivion, the ball bounced into Dr. Cliché's head, giving him amnesia. Dr. Cliché waddled out of the lab and back into his own to work on the project. Since Dr. Cliché could not remember the correct formula for his devastating bomb, it malfunctioned and created a ball. So Fredrik Commonplace's ball saved humanity for only a short time. After kicking Dr. Cliché out of Fredrik's lab he then proceeds to enter the portal to save his creator.

The game will be filled with humorous references to Nifflas' games as well as the community and the internet in general (though the game will not be complete laugh-fest). I hope you guys like the idea and would like to contribute.

~ Wanderer

Updates & Other:

Secrets/easter egg thread: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=3060.0
First beta and video thread: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=3062.msg35698#new

UPDATE 1: Looking for level designers, post in thread and I'll send you a PM for specifications.

Level 1 Plot v1.0:

Fredrik Commonplace's ball entered the portal to the Internet and he has arrived in a strange city. He explores terminal messages from the High Authority.

These messages tell citizens of ordinances and announcements.

The ball will encounter traps and strange black liquid water. It will explore the city finding terminals hacked by the resistance members giving encouraging messages to the people. The ball must make his way to a portal leading out of the city.

The portal will lead to a strange natural place. This "forest outside the city” will still have terminals though these terminals will be malfunctioning. The strange black liquid will be more prevalent here.

You will now be seeing people here who will tell you the origin of the liquid. That it is spreading into the city at an uncontrollable rate.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:53:46 by Wanderer »
"I wander to many places, but I quest to few."

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreepyThumb

I leave and come back, kinda like a ghost. Hmm...

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Within a Complex System (WaDF Fangame)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:34:04 »
This project I am presenting you all is not to undermine the hard efforts of Pick Yer Poison and all who worked on the WaDF 2 project.
Oh, I don't mind in the slightest. I can give you what we had so far if you want it, as long as you credit everyone who helped make it.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 19:58:54 »
(Sorry for the extremely late answer, I was enjoying Santa Fe :D)

I appreciate the offer for help PYP :), but since I'm making the game in MMF I can't use your engine. But if the graphics and music you received could be used that would be extremely helpful.

I'm working on finishing the tutorial level and will put it up on here for you guys to see, and maybe change your minds for helping out. (Though it won't have spiffy graphics as I'm not the best pixel artist.)

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 22:47:44 »
I appreciate the offer for help PYP :), but since I'm making the game in MMF I can't use your engine. But if the graphics and music you received could be used that would be extremely helpful.
Can do, although if anyone who made them objects you'll have to take them down (not that I think that's a real problem). I'll upload a pack with all the stuff in it ASAP.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 23:24:17 »
although if anyone who made them objects you'll have to take them down

I don't quite understand what you mean here, do you mean I can't use the objects (characters, etc.)?

Thanks for uploading a pack of the gfx, I'll be sure to credit them all as necessary! :)

EDIT: Just noticed that I screwed up the quote. But it's fixed now. C)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 00:47:30 by Wanderer »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:05:26 »
I don't quite understand what you mean here, do you mean I can't use the objects (characters, etc.)?

All I meant was that I didn't make all of the stuff (Razzorman made the music and Sabata and A Clockwork Lemon made some tilesets). But I don't really see any of them having a problem with you using it; I was just covering all my bases. ;)

Now for the resource dump; what I've done here is basically just compress all the folders that I had for resources into a .rar file. The only things from the project that aren't in here are the source code files, which you already said wouldn't help you that much.

Anyway, here you go.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 20:56:37 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:58 »
Thanks PYP this will surely come into use! :D

+ :hiddenstar: Goes to you for being so accepting of this.

P.S. I've never given out a star before...  8)

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 02:38:18 »
Now for the resource dump; what I've done here is basically just compress all the folders that I had for resources into a .rar file. The only things from the project that aren't in here are the source code files, which you already said wouldn't help you that much.

dont 'spose you could upload the source as well? i'm interested
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 04:10:56 »
dont 'spose you could upload the source as well? i'm interested
http://www.mediafire.com/?5mdnzeky5nc

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:50:15 »
Ah! thank 'ee very much. I'm working on Knytt Experiment at the moment, but i'll have a look at this later!

Edit: not to take this topic too off-topic, but that is a eally nice engine! a couple of tweaks and it would be perfecto! If you want, i can have a go at it in a couple of weeks
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:33:55 by AClockworkLemon »
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:07:24 »
Edit: not to take this topic too off-topic, but that is a eally nice engine! a couple of tweaks and it would be perfecto! If you want, i can have a go at it in a couple of weeks
Knock yourself out, it's fine by me.

Incidentally, why is this is the Collaborations subforum? Since you seem to the only person working on it. X)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:20:23 by Pick Yer Poison »

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 13:21:24 »
Since I' m execting help from the forum for the tilesets and music/sounds. :P

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 22:03:28 »
Since I' m execting help from the forum for the tilesets and music/sounds. :P
If you need music, I might be able to make some with Korg DS-10 and turn it into a .wav with DeSmuME. :) Just tell me how long, loop, what type of music, etc. via PM. :)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 01:51:08 »
I have Korg for the DS too! :O But I haven't been able to convert it to something though. :P

K I'll send you a PM.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
Re: Within a Complex System (WaDF Fangame) - Added Level 1 storyline
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 17:28:22 »
Anyone want to help with level design? You don't have to devote yourself to it, just doodle some things on graph paper or use a different method.

I would really like the community to help me with this one.