Fastspring or Steam: Which version to get?

• 3 Replies

Offline mre

• View Profile
Fastspring or Steam: Which version to get?
« on: March 28, 2010, 22:10:57 »
Hi,

I was wondering which version of Saira I should get. Is there any difference between the Fastspring and the Steam one? Steam is nice, but it's happened before that the Steam version of an indie game has a whole lot less access to user created material and the like. If not, then Steam is probably my way to go.

Then again, I guess the Fastspring version is better for getting the entire payment for the game straight to Nifflas...?

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: Fastspring or Steam: Which version to get?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 22:24:43 »
Well, I'm not sure how payment through steam or fastspring works, but I'd still recommend fastspring, as the steam version has been a bit reluctant to work for some people.
There shouldn't be any actual difference between the two versions though.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 22:27:11 »
Fastspring indeed gets more money to Niff, but I dunno by what margin.
I think the Steam version is the installer version, whereas you need the portable version to use the editor.
Personally, I'd go with the Fastspring version, but if the convenience of Steam is worth the above then go ahead :)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 19:25:21 »
All the gameplay is identical. The steam version can be auto-downloaded and installed on any computer you have Steam on (which makes it easier for you to install all your Steam games onto a new PC). The fastspring version must be downloaded from ni2.se and either installed and unzipped (you should keep your own backups if you get this version).

If you get the Steam version, you will also receive a serial code that works in the non-Steam version, but you can at the other hand not transfer a non-Steam serial code to Steam. If you like and use Steam, you should get that version.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 19:28:10 by Nifflas »