Possible to transfer non-Steam version to Steam?

• 9 Replies

Offline Garcin

• View Profile
Possible to transfer non-Steam version to Steam?
« on: March 25, 2010, 22:02:18 »
I bought the game before it was available on Steam, but prefer to have as many games available to me on Steam as I can to prevent losing access to them. Is there a way to use my non-Steam registration to get access to the Steam version?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Possible to transfer non-Steam version to Steam?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 00:29:09 »
I'm sorry, I wish I could but I don't think it is possible. At least I have no idea how to do it.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 01:53:01 »
Probably not how your wanting. You can click "Add non-steam game" but all this will do is load a shortcut to you list of Steam Games. Other than that, no.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 15:36:29 »
"losing access" to saira seems difficult to do in the first place anyhow...or am I missing something fundamental? :huh:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 15:53:23 »
Well, it could be done if the demo was available on steam, but since it isn't... :/
On the other hand, as long as you keep your activation code, it shouldn't matter if you happen to loose your game files.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Klaymen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 04:23:42 »
I'm pretty sure it was possible to transfer retail-bought Unreal Tournament 3 into Steam by supplying the CD-Key - Epic must have given Valve access to it's CD-Key database.

Could be worth getting in contact with Valve to see what options they have available for this.

Offline Klaymen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:40:29 »
If Nifflas releases a back-catalogue including KS and Saira on Steam then I will happily purchase Saira again as part of that =)

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 14:39:08 »
If Nifflas releases a back-catalogue including KS and Saira on Steam then I will happily purchase Saira again as part of that =)
I'm not sure if steam does free distribution. Probably not, since I've never seen anything free on steam that wasn't a demo or a mod.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 15:09:31 »
Well, Time Gentlemen, Please! includes the freeware Ben There, Dan That!.

Offline Klaymen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 13:28:13 »
I'm not sure if steam does free distribution. Probably not, since I've never seen anything free on steam that wasn't a demo or a mod.

I wasn't suggesting a free release, I was suggesting a package/bundle that included Nifflas's back catalogue as well as Saira. I would be happy to purchase Saira again on steam if it also came with KS attached to Steam. There are plenty of package-deals on steam that include vast back catalogues (e.g. id software back catalogue: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/440/)