[Normal][Puzzle/Scenic] Which Way Out? v1.0 by the Jack

• 5 Replies

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
[Normal][Puzzle/Scenic] Which Way Out? v1.0 by the Jack
« on: March 24, 2010, 13:32:31 »
This is far from the first level I've worked on -- I have 6 that I've started, and concepts for others that I haven't begun building yet -- but it is the first level I've managed to complete "enough" to release. It was designed for and entered into the latest KS Level Design competition, the deadline for which forced me to just 'get it done already.' (Sometimes having a deadline is a good thing.)  I suppose "first level, be gentle plz" applies.

Partly because I lost track of the competition end date :oops:, I wound up having to cut some of the elements I originally planned to include, in particular a more-complex puzzle, and a shift-scene at the beginning of the level. I will eventually be releasing a version 2.0 with the full puzzle I originally envisioned, though, along with additional areas, further tileset tweaking, more COs & custom sounds, an enemy or three that players will have to actually work to avoid (!), and other bells and whistles.

Later this week, I'll be releasing version 1.1, which will mostly just take care of bugfixes. If you find any errors other than the ones already noted, please let me know so I can correct them for the revised release. I'd rather not clutter up the level archive with five revisions when I can just save up the corrections and do one or two pre-2.0 releases.

The contest called for levels to "be about Juni being trapped somewhere and ... trying to get out" and "feature at least one puzzle element."

So, in Which Way Out?, Juni finds herself in an unfamiliar landscape, and has to figure out how to escape. I think some screenshots are in order:

Here's the level icon, also:
If you save Icon.png into your \Knytt Stories 1.21\Worlds\the Jack - Which Way Out\ folder, the icon will show up on your KS level selection screen. (The icon won't show up on the level archive for v1.0, although -- hopefully -- it will for v1.1 once I upload the revision.)

Click to download Which Way Out? from the level archive

Level Features

Audio: All sounds (other than Juni's footsteps and jumps) were recorded by members of the United States Fish & Wildlife Service as part of their official duties, meaning the recordings are in the public domain; each ambiance track was remixed by me specifically for WWO? using these FWS files and Audacity. No default ambiance or music tracks were used.

Custom Objects: All custom objects were created by me (some based on elements in Sal's tilesets).

Cutscenes: The default "Level Start" and "You Win!" text-on-white cutscenes have been replaced with full-colour, multiple-screen intro and ending sequences. (I ran out of time, so the intro is still fairly plain, but I think the ending makes up for it.)

Level Splash: The default blank title screen that's displayed when a level is selected in KS (with the angular grey spiral graphic) has been replaced with a full-colour image displaying the level name and all the level's credits info.

Savepoints: Frequent save locations -- in nearly every screen -- encourage fearless exploration.

Tilesets: Camaska high, Crystal land, Green land and Green plants; all four created by Salmoneous / Elder, with modifications by me. No default tilesets were used.

Hints
Since some of the early players had trouble figuring out what to do...
Copied from a comment I left in the competition thread, here are some hints to point players in the right direction:

Spoiler: very vague hint (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: less-vague hints (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: least-vague hint (click to show/hide)

A word of warning -- It probably is possible for at least some players to "brute-force" (or "dumb-luck") their way through the level rather than figuring out each part of the puzzle, just as a determined-enough (or lucky enough) player can get past symbol-combination locks in KS simply by entering every single possible code until the barriers open. Like "solving" a Rubik's cube by peeling off and repositioning the coloured stickers, however, doing so misses the whole point of the puzzle.

Finally, Which Way Out? also marks the inaugural use of the Scenic category tag.   C)p

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline saba

• View Profile
Re: [Normal][Puzzle/Scenic] Which Way Out? v1.0 by the Jack
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 18:27:36 »
Well, I just played it a little. First impression is that it's very beautifully done and the sounds add a lot to the overall atmosphere. However, I'm afraid this level goes way beyond my head. Also, I found a void behind the stems that Juni says you can't climb up on. Turns out you can  :^^:
I'll keep playing it and maybe I'll figure it out  :^^:

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 21:27:11 »
I love how you used my tilesets and CO's of them! The sound effects where crazy and I like them. The level was tricky to find in and it was nice and fun. Good for a first level, I hope you will do more levels because this owns.

I found a void behind the stems that Juni says you can't climb up on. Turns out you can  :^^:

Yeah. Fix that and the icon. Why the icon not in level?

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 22:06:19 »
...The top post in this thread mentions both the climbable flower stems and the missing icon (and provides a workaround for the missing icon as well as noting I don't know why the icon got kicked out of the folder during compression) along with all the other known issues. I appreciate bug reports, but what exactly is the point of posting about ones I already said I was aware of & will be releasing an imminent bugfix for?

edit:
I was in a hurry earlier when I posted the beginning of this comment, and didn't realise how brusque it sounded. I was sort of tunnel-visioned on using the few minutes I was grabbing on the forums to try to get reports of any bugs I might still need to fix... to the point that I actually completely missed the first half of Salmoneous's comment. (I did say tunnel vision!)

I love how you used my tilesets and CO's of them! The sound effects where crazy and I like them. The level was tricky to find in and it was nice and fun. Good for a first level, I hope you will do more levels because this owns.

I will be basking in this praise for the rest of the month. I know you know how much I respect your levels & other creative endeavours, Salmoneous, but not everyone has seen me gush at and/or about you. I'm not sure I'd be more chuffed if Nifflas himself had said that about Which Way Out? The fact that they're your tilesets you so approve of my use of... well, that's pure gravy.

::does a little WIN dance::

Now I just have to make sure my next level lives up to the expectations you now have...  XD
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:54:21 by the Jack »

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:26:55 »
Like I said earlier, the level feels amazing. A beautiful, well executed environment, makes me wish the level was larger. I'd love to explore the creepy tunnel, or, like someone said, just stand on an island in that little lake to the east :)

Much as I admired the concept of the puzzle, I really think the level would be better as an environmental:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
I'm sorry if this sounds rude, sort of like "I don't like this, why don't you do something else and I'd like that"; I do like the level. My point is simply that there's a lot--and I mean a lot--of potential here for a really stunning environmental, and it seems to be hindered by the limitations enforced by the competition rules.

UPD: Also, this is a minor point, but you may want to consider posting fewer screenshots in the future. I mean, the level is fairly small, and posting three screenshots for it kind of takes away the fun of exploration.. I guess. I downloaded and played without looking at screenshots  :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:30:17 by yohji »

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 13:31:05 »
Aweshum! Difficult, but aweshum. Or is it just me joinin the CP's?