Industrial Trap Tilesets

• 8 Replies
Industrial Trap Tilesets
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:35:38 »
I won't be using them again, and they're nice tiles, so I thought maybe somebody would want them.
SG's difficult KS levels:
Very Hard: Dark Sea, Industral Trap.
Lunatic: Dark Sea 2, Going Left.
Very Lunatic: Safety 1, 2, and 3.
Misc: AdvancedAmidst the Clouds, Candy Town.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: Industrial Trap Tilesets
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:54:49 »
They are really nice! Good job. reminds me of that planet in Saira where you have to do all the speed runs ;)
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 23:29:42 »
These are really pretty, while at the same time preserving that "industrial" feel. I'd love to see someone use them in a level I can actually play through...  X-P

Maybe I'll make an industrial environmental. (I have a kind of ridiculous backlog of levels I want to make, so everyone should feel free to take that idea and run with it.) Some of the elements in these tilesets are almost art-deco-ish, and give me Thoughts about a steampunk-type level.

Are the tilesets freely modifiable, or do you want them used as-is unless someone asks for specific permission? I've found I often want to combine tiles from two matching sets so as to be able to mix and match them with tiles from another set as well, in particular, but sometimes I find myself wanting to just replace one type of tile with another (solid vs. transparent, inside corners vs. gradients, etc.) or adjust the original colours to better suit the use I have in mind.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 23:31:58 »
Hmm... maybe I'll use those to create a certain area in Falling Water that's been giving me a lot of trouble... Very nice tilesets! Sorry I didn't play the level, but I figured it wouldn't be any use. *points to sig*

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 23:35:53 »
@ Hmpf: Yeah, it's harder than Going Left, even, but worth going through via "Test Level" in the editor a couple of screens at a time -- fantastic aesthetics. Full of jumps that I found impossible even with extra power-ups, but really, really nice to look at.

Actually, it's eggplant.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 23:50:27 »
Are the tilesets freely modifiable, or do you want them used as-is unless someone asks for specific permission? I've found I often want to combine tiles from two matching sets so as to be able to mix and match them with tiles from another set as well, in particular, but sometimes I find myself wanting to just replace one type of tile with another (solid vs. transparent, inside corners vs. gradients, etc.) or adjust the original colours to better suit the use I have in mind.

You can modify them (or add to them, big huge empty space in the extra tileset). It'd be nice to be credited though.

Sorry to all the crappy players out there. Challenge is one of the biggest parts of a level to me, so I tend to make levels that are, well, challenging.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 20:23:04 »
Sorry to all the crappy players out there. Challenge is one of the biggest parts of a level to me, so I tend to make levels that are, well, challenging.

Well, it's one of the awesome features of KS that it allows for a huge variety of play styles & difficulty levels, so there's something for just about everyone. People like you and Purple Pineapple get the Very Hard to Lunatic levels you like, and LoCP members have Easy to Normal levels we can actually get through. (Plus there's always the option of skipping past too-hard levels in the editor, or using the cheat, but that's never the same IMO.)

Of course there are some levels, like Don't Eat the Mushroom, that have enough of a balance between challenge and playability -- in addition to awesome level concept and execution, in the case of DEtM -- that everyone can enjoy them.

Maybe I'll see if I can make super-hard versions of at least some of my levels, the reverse of what egomassive did with A Knytt in Time... I'd need beta assistance from hard-level fans, though, as I really can't distinguish between Hard, Very Hard, Lunatic and Wait No That's Impossible!

Actually, it's eggplant.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:15:20 »
Maybe I'll see if I can make super-hard versions of at least some of my levels, the reverse of what egomassive did with A Knytt in Time... I'd need beta assistance from hard-level fans, though, as I really can't distinguish between Hard, Very Hard, Lunatic and Wait No That's Impossible!

Interesting idea there. I'll be sure to help test if you do decide to do that.