Solar Stormwatch

• 5 Replies

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
Solar Stormwatch
« on: March 22, 2010, 19:25:29 »

http://solarstormwatch.com/

Even on a quiet day, the Sun’s a whirling ball of energy. But sometimes, huge solar explosions whizz across the solar system. Scientists call them coronal mass ejections, or CMEs for short. We call them solar storms – and as the name suggests, they’re what Solar Stormwatch is all about.

You will watch a short video from space. You must watch it properly to see the CMEs and mark, when the storm starts and when it is in the half of the picture (spot the storm) and computers will count how speed it is, if it come close to Earth etc.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 19:48:50 by Comhon »

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: Solar Stormwatch
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 00:17:52 »
Looks interesting, but I think you should add some more about the game, how you play it and so. Also, maybe explain more about how we help the scientists.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 00:53:25 »
I guess it's a kind of game, but, as you said, it's not. I'm not sure if this would be allowed here. Guess we'll have Paula and LPChip be the judge. I'd try it out, but I don't have the attention span to make an account, let alone finish this sent
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:27:27 »
Okay, I played this some. And I really liked it for some reason. I've always been this wanna-be scientist...
But, this is not a game. Not really. They make it into a game however, so I most definitely think it is allowed here.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 13:48:36 »
I've quickly looked into it, but I will do it better when I have some time for it.

For now, this is my conclusion:

Is it a game?

I guess we have to define what this board's function is when we talk about games. To me, a game is a form of entertainment that allows interaction and a ruleset which will lead to a winning state of some sort. For this forum's kind of game, the access to its functions must be free.

This game is indeed a bit odd as it doesn't have the standard game elements you'd expect. However, I can see this being somekind of big multi player game, so for me the most important thing would be to have a notice that the gameplay might be different from a traditional game. That part has also been tackled.

Other than that, if people don't like this particular kind of gameplay, they can say so by replying so others can get a feel if this is something for them or not.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 19:47:28 »
I know. But I didn't want where to post the topic.

More informations about it:
Even on a quiet day, the Sun’s a whirling ball of energy. But sometimes, huge solar explosions whizz across the solar system. Scientists call them coronal mass ejections, or CMEs for short. We call them solar storms – and as the name suggests, they’re what Solar Stormwatch is all about.

You will watch a short video from space. You must watch it properly to see the CMEs and mark, when the storm starts and when it is in the half of the picture and computers will count how speed it is, if it come close to Earth etc.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 19:50:39 by Comhon »