[Flash/Platformer] Redder (by Dessgeega/Auntie Pixelante/Anna Anthropy)

• 5 Replies

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
Hey, what do you know, there's a character limit for topic subject lines.  :P2

I'm surprised nobody has posted about this game yet! The designer, who goes variously by Anna Anthropy, Auntie Pixelante, and Dessgeega, is responsible for several well-regarded Knytt Stories levels, including Fossil, The Oubliette, and Under the Crack. And her latest game is an exploration-heavy, non-linear platformer firmly in the tradition of Nifflas games like Knytt and Knytt Stories, and their old-school platformer forerunners including Metroid.

Redder casts you as a tiny, pixel-art astronaut who's forced to make a landing on Mars (or some other red planet? But I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a reference to it being meant as Mars on the designer's blog... if, perhaps, an old-old-school, pulp-SF sort of Mars) when your spaceship runs out of fuel.

Screenshot links (they're links instead of emedded so as not to steal her bandwidth; Dessgeega's been posting choice screenshots from Redder throughout its development, and only stopped once the game was released):

one left
four left, two down (outside)
four right, one down (inside)
five right, four down (not every screen is dominated by red!)
four left, seven down (green seems to be the secondary colour after red)
one right, five down (there's also some soothing, earthy brown)
five right, eight down (try and tell me that falling animation isn't adorable)
two left, nine down (classy)
six left, nine down (busy)

All the screenshots are described by their position in relation to the starting screen -- that's Anna Anthropy's choice, not mine, so if you feel that would be too spoilery for you, don't follow the links

The controls are your basic, simple-platformer left, right, jump. Holding the jump button (I was using the arrow keys; I neglected to check for wasd or any other control scheme, but up-arrow definitely works) prolongs your jump in a way that feels right for a comparatively low-gravity planet. You don't get as much horizontal jump distance as you do vertical, but the controls are simple enough that you'll get the hang of what you can and can't do quickly.

Savepoints are generously scattered through the game -- at least, they are while you're still fairly close to the starting point; I haven't beaten the game yet -- and triggered when you go past one with the astronaut touching it, though they're usually (?) easily jumped over should you prefer not to save your game there.

You'll need those savepoints, as there are a variety of things that will kill your astronaut and send you back to the last savepoint used. In addition to at least two kinds of switches which change the game state in ways you'll easily figure out so that you can get past switchable obstacles, there are at least one kind of passive-death danger, one kind of moving enemy and one kind of automated-intermittently-firing weapon that can each warp you back to that last savepoint if you should come in contact with them.

The intro sequence shows your spaceship's "fuel gauge" as a slowly emptying grid of glowing, diamond-ish energy crystals. The goal of the game, beyond exploration for exploration's sake and not-dying, seems to be collecting replacement crystals so that you can presumably take off again. (The "green" screenshot linked above contains one of the crystals.) Despite the lack of text instructions, everything in the game seems to be either immediately straightforward, or something quickly learned after you get warped back to your last save point.

By all indications it's a good-sized game, with plenty to explore -- the designer says it's her largest game ever -- though not huge on the scale of Knytt. Jaded platformer players may find it too easy; LoCP members like me will find it challenging, but not necessarily unplayably so. Whatever your skill level, though, Redder is old-school fun.

Play Redder here (at Newgrounds)

edited to shorten subject line as suggested
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 18:42:39 by the Jack »

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
Re: [Flash/Platformer] Redder
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:22:46 »
I'm surprised nobody has posted about this game yet!

It's a fairly new game after all, nothing too surprising.

I enjoyed the game a lot: it has simple rules, a complex layout, well-placed checkpoints, and it's indeed quite large. You don't want to play it as your typical mindless Flash game, though, as finding your way through mazey passages to get to some crystals requires some effort and path memorization. I started playing it 'wrong', and quit soon; luckily the game automatically saves your progress, so when I came back to it I could finish it no problem.

My main complaint:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

P.S: Great, now the Forum complains that MY post title is too long (because it has an extra 'Re: '). You should think twice before filling the title to the brim XD
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:24:32 by AA »
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
Re: [Flash/Platformer] Redder
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 21:43:32 »
Spoiler: At the start (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After 3 or 4 gems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After some gems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After 22 gems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After 23 gems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: With 24 gems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EDIT:With 25-26 gems (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EDIT:With 27 gems (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:18:55 by Firecat »
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
Also one of my favorite level-makers. Really great game, but hard!  X-P

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

I love!