Saira Camera problem (Steam version)

• 12 Replies
Saira Camera problem (Steam version)
« on: March 17, 2010, 22:39:33 »
Hi,

Whenever I take a picture, it does not show up in the PDA. All I see is a white picture. Specs:

Vista64
Radeon 4870x2

I will download the non-steam version and input my code to see if this bug only manifests itself in the steam version.

Edit: Problem present in both versions, occurs only when taking photos in full screen mode, no problem when in windowed mode... I'd really like to play in full screen though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 22:49:14 by loganclaws »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Saira Camera problem (Steam version)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 23:18:33 »
This have actually not been reported since a similar problem was fixed during the beta testing phase. It is probably an incompability issue between the game and the graphics card. I'll have to forward the information to Clickteam and see if they can fix it.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 23:43:18 »
Ok, please keep me updated. Great game so far by the way.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 20:47:53 »
hi Nifflas, any update on this issue? The drivers I'm using are catalyst 10.2.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:37:32 »
Sorry, not yet. Problems that only happens on a very few systems are the hardest ones to figure out.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 21:01:52 »
The game works perfectly me on a 5850, Catalyst 10.2 as well. Just saying.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 00:07:49 »
Yeah, I'm on an ATI card too, the Mobility X1350, and had to use the Mobility Modder to get the graphics card to work in XP at all. I've had bad experiences with ATI cards, OpenGL does for example not work on my PC with dual screen enabled so I got to disable my secondary monitor before I launch an OpenGL application.

However, Saira's capture part obviously work nicely. I'm hoping to receive more reports about this problem with graphics card / driver details to try to figure out what the cause of the problem may be, because I'm somewhat blind trying to figure out something I can not reproduce, so there are no tests I can make.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:07:32 »
Longclaws, have you tried using the non steam version? The code that you get from steam will work with that one too, and I'm fairly sure that the save files are transferable.

(You might want to eliminate software issues before you move on to hardware.)
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:29:47 »
It's already concluded he had the same problem in both builds.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 14:21:20 »
Ok. I thought he had only tried the steam version. :P
Sorry.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline kojak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 17:01:08 »
I'm having the same problem, any picture i take looks like a bleached negative.  I've got an Intel Mobile 4 series.  the game works fine otherwise.
good luck working it out

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 05:01:03 »
I have a tidbit that may help solve the problem.

Win7 x64, Catalyst 10.2, 2x 4890s.

When crossfire is enabled, taking pictures produces white pictures - when crossfire is disabled, taking pictures work. Viewing pictures existing pictures doesn't seem to be affected.

Because you're seeing this on a 4870x2, it makes me think that there's a same root cause to both issues.

Edit: Catalyst 10.3 with crossfire application profiles lets capturing pictures work with crossfire enabled and D3DOverrider running. When taking off and then landing, I heard another 'chime' from D3DOverrider changing it's mind over what I was running and the game slowed to a crawl.

Launch game. Chime.
Load game where I was at a planet. Chime.
Go to ship, take off.
Land somewhere. Title of planet. Chime and see planet. Game slow.
Taking off, it's fast. Landing again. Chimes and still slow. PDA is fast while rest of game is slow. Holding esc to go to the main menu is slow.

This also happens when you load a game when you're landed, exiting to menu, and then loading the game again.

Methinks there's something about crossfire and triple buffering override settings. Will do some more poking.

edit2: More poking and results:
Catalyst for all modes: OpenGL triple buffering checked, vertical refresh set to always on, AA and AF at application settings, mipmap at highest, AAA off.
D3DOverrider off, Crossfire disabled, Catalyst AI advanced - doesn't slow down, pictures work
D3DOverrider on, Crossfire enabled, Catalyst AI advanced - slows down, pictures work
D3DOverrider off, Crossfire enabled, Catalyst AI advanced - doesn't slow down, pictures don't work
D3DOverrider off, Crossfire enabled, Catalyst AI standard - doesn't slow down, pictures don't work
D3DOverrider off, Crossfire enabled, Catalyst AI disabled - doesn't slow down, pictures work
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:29:10 by jjandrah »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 19:21:19 »
This is some great information! Thank you a lot for sharing.