Re: Jungle vines tileset
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 20:24:36 »

?

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 22:32:42 »
Hmm... I'm not sure I like a pattern on the background tiles that seems larger than the one that's on the foreground tiles.

Colour-wise, though, both this and the version in the previous post are an improvement, I think.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 23:30:59 »
Color has been slightly improved, but I still think it needs to be much less saturated and probably darkened.  I don't like the new pattern at all.

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 23:52:25 »
If the background pattern needs to be smaller than the foreground pattern, that really narrows it down; unless I have a stroke of brilliance, I think we're down to some color-variant of this, or a flat green:

The third one is definitely less friendly-looking than I'm aiming for with this set, but looking at all three, I think the second would probably look better through several screens than the first.

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 00:31:06 »
Oh, right, the actual tileset would be useful...

Time for bed now, obviously.  X-P

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 01:21:08 »
Background patterns do not need to be smaller than foreground patterns.  It does need to "blend in," though.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 13:28:31 »
There are techniques beyond color, contrast, and detail to make thing appear distant. In the example below, from The Machine by Nifflas, there are at least 4 tricks.
  • Layers: The small trees appear distant because they are behind foreground objects.
  • Size: The small trees appear distant because they are smaller than the middle tree.
  • Fog: The small trees appear distant because a subtle fog fades them out at the bottom.
  • Semi-Transparency: The dark hills appear distant because the gradient shows through them.

I think making your background tiles semi-transparent might help. Try opacity around 50 to 80%, then try it out with different gradients. This method also helps make tilesets more versatile. Your bright backgrounds wouldn't work very well for a night scene. But, if a dark gradient shows through then they will look darker.

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 21:18:57 »

I don't think I'm capable of much better than this, at this point. At any rate, I give up on the background; I'm releasing the tileset as completed, with the note that while I'd prefer that the rest of the tileset not be modified without asking me, the background tiles may be freely modified.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 12:07:53 »
i like that look :P2
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 17:32:50 »
Very clean and geometric. It needs imperfections to make it look natural. Beware of it looking too repetitive though, cos that ruins the effect.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu