I do not think that tag means what you think it means...

• 53 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: I do not think that tag means what you think it means...
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 20:18:30 »
again, in my personal view there are levels I consider Scenic which don't exactly qualify as pretty.

Uhm, yeah. I was using 'pretty' as shorthand for 'visually interesting/attractive', not necessarily 'beautiful'. And I have a really broad definition of 'visually interesting/attractive' - so levels like Organac and Pestilence definitely qualify for that label in my book. (ETA: Actually, I think Organac is beautiful even according to a narrower definition of beauty. Maybe not *pretty*, but beautiful - yes.)

Hmpf wins at succinctly stating what I've been trying to say.

Being rather pressed for time helps. ;-)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 20:26:33 by Hmpf »

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 12:45:54 »
Maybe someone has already said this, but to me this is kind of a simple issue.  Knytt stories lets you identify a level using 2 different tags.  Since many of the tags are, in the views of many here, incompatible, it seems obvious that the tag that comes first is the primary tag of the level, and whatever tag comes second is a modifier of that tag. 

So, if you are JUST doing an environmental level, you wouldn't even use the 2nd tag.  If it was an environmental with a spot or two that could be considered maze or puzzle like, you don't just drop the environmental tag altogether, you modify it with the second tag.  Likewise, if you have a challenge level with a lot of scenery, it makes a ton of since to have the modifying tag (the 2nd tag) be environmental.  Even if this changes the meaning of the tags, it is the closest we can get in the system that currently exists and it seems very straight forward.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 15:16:42 »
^ It's not that simple. To quote myself:

Quote from: AA
[...]I don't think it wouldn't be a good idea to 'legalize' the Environmental/Challenge tag, because players searching for purely Environmental levels would find Challenge levels along with them; being able to search Environmental but not Challenge or Puzzle levels would need negative filters, and would make the filtering options too complicated.

Besides, the filters in the game don't distinguish between primary and secondary tags, and even if the new archive implemented these additional tag semantics, there would still be the issue of older levels.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline LA2019

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2010, 19:14:30 »
As far as I can tell, the whole debate here is pointless.  You have LPChip, who doesn't want to officially honor the "Scenic" tag, and the Jack, who wants it to be an unofficial custom tag that everybody uses as a de facto standard with an agreed-upon meaning.  Where's the conflict?  Unless LPChip is against the idea of people using the "Scenic" tag at all (and, really, I can't imagine that that's his position), why does this "argument" even exist?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 00:27:20 by LA2019 »

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 20:24:18 »
Because LPChip would have to code a system that allows custom tags? :huh:
I have no idea, as I haven't read the topic.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline LA2019

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 21:23:32 »
Because LPChip would have to code a system that allows custom tags? :huh:
I have no idea, as I haven't read the topic.
Obviously.  One of the Jack's major points is that such a thing would be unnecessary.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 22:46:16 »
It seems that this topic started as a suggestion, and turned into a discussion because people misunderstoot eachother. At a certain point that faded away so went the discussion X)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2010, 00:48:31 »

[...]I don't think it wouldn't be a good idea to 'legalize' the Environmental/Challenge tag, because players searching for purely Environmental levels would find Challenge levels along with them; being able to search Environmental but not Challenge or Puzzle levels would need negative filters, and would make the filtering options too complicated.

Besides, the filters in the game don't distinguish between primary and secondary tags, and even if the new archive implemented these additional tag semantics, there would still be the issue of older levels.
I suggested to implement a way of searching for levels that are environmental and not challenge but I don't think that will happen.
o__  o

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2010, 11:13:48 »

I suggested to implement a way of searching for levels that are environmental and not challenge but I don't think that will happen.

Actually, if you currently select environmental levels and difficulty easy, I think you have just that.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex