[Environmental/Playground, small] Remembering the City

• 61 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Playground, small] Remembering the City
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2010, 16:02:14 »
Thanks, Headgrinder, grimwit & Vegetal Gibber. What a nice surprise to come to the forum after a period of absence to find someone new has enjoyed one of my levels! :-)

As for Headgrinder's frustration: It's supposed to be a *mystery*! ;-) Seriously - I do not intend to explain it, partly because I don't *have* an explanation, and partly because I really think the level works better with the mystery intact.

I'm not even sure if the 'egg' thing really exists, except at night.

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 16:33:06 »
The egg stands for a mystery in the context of the city.  This happens because it's such a nonsequitor as to pull you away from the original question of the city's absence during the day.

Where as the city is a ghost, the egg is reality and more solid, yet even more mysterious due to it not belonging with the rest of the context.  To make matters worse, we are given a point of view that has not seen all there is to see.

After all, Juni has never been there during the day.

A Good ending to this would be the egg opening revealing a key with no lock in the level, leading us to question the dream like atmosphere.  Is Juni, in fact, asleep.  >_>  But that's my own add on, and has nothing to do with the actual story.

O_O  Never answer questions.  It would pull away from the feel of the level.

<3
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 19:36:24 »
(ha!  The spell check didn't know non-sequiter)
Well, for starters, it's spelled "non-sequitur." :P

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 13:43:16 »
Then it should have caught it, right?  Apparently I can't trust google search for correct spelling either  :)  (OFF TOPIC!  OOOOOHHHH!)

So, to get on topic, I of course realize the egg is a mystery, but mysteries usually need a context.  The context for the egg is just a little to random for my brain to be comfortable with.  I DID enjoy it, but it is just very random.  It is like having a level dedicated to the apocalypse with a giraffe at the very last screen.  HUUUGGHH?   O_o O_o O_o

So, I guess I would love to see it make a little more since, like if someone in the village mentions some random tidbit about an egg.  Wouldn't have to be direct, "I saw a big egg."  Could just be "I had a dream about an egg" or "My chicken's eggs are strangely small this season."  Any of that would create (du du du dummmmmm) foreshadowing, and thus create a category for the egg at the end.

And I would love to see a version of this where you can run around during the day.  :)

Offline munchybot

• HUZZAH!
    • View Profile
    • my music on Bandcamp!
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2010, 09:28:19 »
This level is absolutely beautiful. Very tranquil at first, but as you progress into the city and the music becomes more discordant it gets creepy and unnerving, while still beautiful and calming at the same time. I didn't find any
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
though :(

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:31:52 by munchybot »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2010, 21:46:35 »
This level is absolutely beautiful. Very tranquil at first, but as you progress into the city and the music becomes more discordant it gets creepy and unnerving, while still beautiful and calming at the same time.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

I didn't find any
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
though :(

Hint: it's near the right end of the city.

I agree. May be something I can implement once I start doing my own audio editing. I have plans to do that for Falling Water anyway.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2010, 02:03:00 »
I was unsure if it was really a city or something that just looked like one. City sounds would confirm that it's definitely a city, but then it would be alive instead silent and monolithic. However, if you only hear the life but never meet it, I guess it would trade one mystery for another.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2010, 04:24:29 »
I don't know, I think I like it as it is. It seems fairly obvious to me that it's a city (how many things look the same as a city, with all its skyscrapers and lights?), and it also seemed like a memory, because it was insubstantial. If sound was added, it would seem more concrete, as if there was actually a city out there that was just in the distance, instead of being a memory that kept on living long after what it was a memory of was gone.

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 05:29:07 »
Seems interesting *downloading*
I thought ive played this before... guess not
loved your other levels so lets see this one!  :D

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 13:22:56 »
If the sounds themselves where insubstantial I think it would only add depth to what is there.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2010, 05:11:11 »
Beautiful.. very ambient :D
Can't think of another way to describe it..
It's very.. left-for-interpretation like.

O_O  Never answer questions.  It would pull away from the feel of the level.

<3
:^^:

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2010, 14:29:13 »
Thank you! Heh, you'll probably be the last person to play this for a while... (see Falling Water thread for the detailed explanation).

ETA, later: Actually, I just figured out I could have used knyttlevels.com all these months... For some reason I never noticed the upload link, before, and always was under the mistaken impression that you had to get an account in some mysterious way! So I've uploaded all my levels there now. The new link is in the first post of this thread. :-)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 22:23:18 by Hmpf »

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2010, 22:28:31 »
Where am the link that is NOT 404?

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2010, 23:11:09 »
Where am the link that is NOT 404?

Uhm. It works for me? I just tried it again...

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2010, 11:28:41 »
Link am no longer 404!