Status update new knyttlevels.com website

• 43 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Status update new knyttlevels.com website
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 02:06:03 »
No, I don't have to argue about it. I'm not going to remove it. Period.
I know I'm just beating a dead horse that could potentially blow up in my face (horsedynomite ftw), but why? I know little code, but I could still see how easy this could be:
if: nopreview==true
 (do not display img(insertimageurlhere))
 (else: do nothing)

Something like that. :P

EDIT: Ninja'd by The Stickman.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 03:01:58 »
I believe a much bigger issue would be the many levels that would actually be harmed by this "feature" because their first screens are extremely nonindicative of the level itself.  And an even bigger one would be the people that would deliberately abuse it by making first screens with no relation to the rest of the level.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 08:03:16 »
Not that this is a status update. He never asked for anyone's opinion. And he have already said two times that he is not going to change it.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 03:44:02 »
Awesome.  :O

Then we can get someone to make knytt stories on flash and you browse on the level archive, then press "play" and it opens a window of knytt stories!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 03:56:12 »
I believe a much bigger issue would be the many levels that would actually be harmed by this "feature" because their first screens are extremely nonindicative of the level itself.  And an even bigger one would be the people that would deliberately abuse it by making first screens with no relation to the rest of the level.
As LPChip pointed out, you can make a level where you spawn on a shift to the REAL first screen of the level, but that would first ruin the older games, or old gems that don't have a particularly exciting first screen (DEtM, anyone?) Besides the fact that it could potentially ruin a level, as stated multiple times before (which should put up a red flag that it's a problem!), it's kinda a pain to do.

However, I'm kinda on the fence on this matter. True, it could ruin a lot of levels, but, then again, we may be exaggerating it a bit. But, LPChip, can it, instead, show the preview screen? That'd be better. It wouldn't ruin some levels and how much harder would it be?

Yeah, that's another thing. Whenever something's done that you're in charge of, you never take any suggestions, and, if it's nearly unanimous that something should be changed, you still stick to it and say it'll be as is. Why are you so adamant about these things?
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 04:06:02 »
Yeah, that's another thing. Whenever something's done that you're in charge of, you never take any suggestions, and, if it's nearly unanimous that something should be changed, you still stick to it and say it'll be as is. Why are you so adamant about these things?

One of the advantages of doing something unsolicited is that you have the ability to completely ignore other people.

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 09:13:46 »
Yeah, but if you're making something for the community and the community loves it but speaks loudly about a specific feature which they consider a problem, I don't see why you wouldn't consider changing it. I have limited PHP knowledge, but since the info screen is a ready png in the .knytt.bin, it seems to me that it'd be significantly easier to code that reconstructing the first screen would be. And again,
Code: [Select]
if (show_first_screen == true)
{
// show first screen
}
else
{
// show info screen
}

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 16:10:19 »
I wonder, is there a way to make it so we can choose which screen to show?
:hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 16:31:25 »
I knew making this topic was a big mistake.

Remember what I kept saying? I do not want suggestions unless I have something you can use. I'm not finished by a long shot, and I will not change anything to what we currently have unless I have to.

This topic was only ment to show you that we're still working on it, not for feedback of any kind, although a compliment is always nice to get.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 18:20:52 »
You could always make it and lock it. Or link to an update page elsewhere on lpchip.nl via the news bar on the homepage.
Lurk more.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 02:22:37 »
No LP, we are very grateful for this! It's just that... no, I have no idea what's wrong with those people.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 10:11:38 »
or change your level to support it properly. (a shift on the first screen to move you to the next screen)

...Glad I read through to the end of the thread before replying, because it occurred to me to suggest exactly this solution for people who didn't want the start screen to be the level archive preview screen for whatever reason.

It bears repeating, though: Simple solution exists. (And as LPChip points out, anyone is welcome to put their levels elsewhere... though I for one would rather get most -- or all -- of mine from one central location.) I actually expect this new feature to lead to more-interesting first screens in levels being developed, which can only be a good thing.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 10:36:08 »
or change your level to support it properly. (a shift on the first screen to move you to the next screen)

...Glad I read through to the end of the thread before replying, because it occurred to me to suggest exactly this solution for people who didn't want the start screen to be the level archive preview screen for whatever reason.

It bears repeating, though: Simple solution exists. (And as LPChip points out, anyone is welcome to put their levels elsewhere... though I for one would rather get most -- or all -- of mine from one central location.) I actually expect this new feature to lead to more-interesting first screens in levels being developed, which can only be a good thing.

No LP, we are very grateful for this! It's just that... no, I have no idea what's wrong with those people.

Finally some people who understands :)

One other preview thingy I want to share with you (and don't want feedback or questions about it, because I won't answer them anyway) is: There will be a unique way of rating a level, ensuring that the ratings are well thought, not just friend voting. It is also this voting that can get levels removed from the archive if it seems that its a crappy level though I'm still playing with the idea: should it be a mod action or automatic action. It will probably be a mod action first, but I'll look into how much it happens and if it hurts when its being automated.

I have already in my head how to accomplish this, but I want to keep it for myself for now. Maybe in a next update ;)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 10:44:42 »
One other preview thingy I want to share with you (and don't want feedback or questions about it, because I won't answer them anyway) is: There will be a unique way of rating a level, ensuring that the ratings are well thought, not just friend voting. It is also this voting that can get levels removed from the archive if it seems that its a crappy level though I'm still playing with the idea: should it be a mod action or automatic action.

No questions. If "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!" counts as feedback, please accept my sincere apologies.  ;)

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline oebchen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 11:35:08 »
I just wanted to jump in to say how excited I am about this - now I can really see that it was/is worth the wait! :) (Not that I didn't already think so before.) Please don't let anyone make you lose your faith in this project - we believe in you, LPChip! *cheering you on* :D