(Tileset) Atlantis

• 66 Replies

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
Re: A random tileset I did in like five minutes.
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 18:37:34 »
It's coming right along!

The shading on the columns looks great (I always expected you were going to touch them up to make them look like 3-dimensional structures, and the original design was essentially a draft to set the width of the fluting / number of vertical stripes) and I approve of the 4-way gradients. Plus real transparency -- my eyes thank you.

I'm not sure about making the spirals so grey, though. I think a better solution to the high-contrast issue where the white and teal meet might, instead, be to keep the colours and make the transition more gradual... more like the way the circular patterns in Technology of the Ancients (and the Underwater Ruins tileset, default #63 by Zenth) seem to glow.

I took a few minutes with GIMP (and, for anyone still clinging stubbornly to Paint, this is an excellent illustration of how something that would take 10-20 times longer to do by hand in a basic graphics program can be accomplished much more efficiently using the built-in tools in a real graphics program) to illustrate what I mean. Er, see the attachment.

The dolphins still don't really suggest Minoan/Cretan/Atlantean to me. (If you don't want them to be any closer to that style, that's fine; it's your tileset, not mine!) The purple shadowing is an interesting idea, but in execution it reminds me too much of primitive, limited-colour-palette graphics, which I don't think is the look you're going for...? Also, is the crystal skull the small object between the small dolphins and the tridents? I was thinking of something large enough that the details (eye sockets, etc) would show up -- Knytts are quite small after all -- but I do like the direction you're going in with the eerie-glow-ish colours.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 18:53:38 »
I love what you've done with the ground tiles, the glow looks nice, but do you mind if I turn it down a notch? It's a bit too bright for my tastes, but this is definitely an improvement... Nice job!
PS I can take this right? I'd like to make my own changes to yours, because mine seems a little different in a few more ways than I really looked at.

EDIT: I just started using GIMP for this version of the tileset, and I love GIMP way more than whatever it was I was using, which was at first MSPaint, and later Paint.NET. Love the simplicity of it all, and it's also much more powerful, which is very nice for the shading and texturing. YAY! I like how this is turning out!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 19:00:53 by pumpkin »
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 19:14:42 »
I disagree about the glow.  While it's a nice effect, I don't want to be seeing it all over the screen.  If only about one out of forty spirals glowed, I think it would work much better.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 19:17:18 »
Yes I agree with minmay on that one... Perhaps just my single tile spirals or the X tile should glow, or at least to that extent.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 20:13:38 »
I love what you've done with the ground tiles, the glow looks nice, but do you mind if I turn it down a notch? It's a bit too bright for my tastes, but this is definitely an improvement... Nice job!
PS I can take this right? I'd like to make my own changes to yours, because mine seems a little different in a few more ways than I really looked at.

C)p Of course you can use it -- it's your tileset! -- but I really didn't do the best job GIMP is capable of. Like I said, I just wanted to give you an idea of the kind of effect I meant. Feel free to tone it down, change the hue, whatever... but I do think you'll get better results (and along the way get a better feel for how GIMP's numerous selection tools and options, as well as gradient-fill types and effects, work) if you re-do it yourself. Plus, then you'll still be able to say it's your tileset, not mostly-yours-with-X%-help-from-me.

I think I do actually agree with you two that having all the tiles glow wouldn't be as effective as using the glow as highlights. But instead of picking one or two tiles to be the always-accent tile, what do you think of making the area that would (sometimes) glow partly transparent, so that depending on what colour tile (or gradient) was behind it, it could have different coloured spirals, glowing,  neutral or dark?

EDIT: I just started using GIMP for this version of the tileset, and I love GIMP way more than whatever it was I was using, which was at first MSPaint, and later Paint.NET. Love the simplicity of it all, and it's also much more powerful, which is very nice for the shading and texturing. YAY! I like how this is turning out!

The GIMP is a fantastic tool. I used Photoshop professionally for years, and I actually prefer GIMP. I'm still discovering new effects I can get out of it that I never thought of before (and that would've been almost as hard to accomplish with Photoshop as with Paint) every time I take the time to just "play around"...

Actually, it's eggplant.

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 00:21:38 »
The ground tiles definitely look better with a glow. The problem, as was stated by minmay, is that it might be a bit too much glow for most people's tastes. I don't know about reverting the tiles to their original look, though. IMO it wasn't very good. Perhaps if you lessened the contrast between the ground and the glow..
Lurk more.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 18:40:09 »
Here's the test of the slightly transparent spirals, haven't looked at it in the editor, but it might just work.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
Re: (Tileset) Atlantis
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 20:46:23 »
Finally!  :whoa: An update!  :shocked: Anyways, here it is. Added quite a bit, some regular ground, messy, but I like it. You get the picture.
-The Meat Puppets

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 01:30:34 »
Looks good, but the sloped ground can't really connect to anything.
Lurk more.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 14:48:53 »
If you're okay with it, I would like to try and make a remix of this.

Only two weeks until school's out 8D I'll have some time then. I think I could use the practice.
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 18:16:05 »
Definitely! Do whatever you'd like! I've been waiting for someone to do this... Yay!

Oh, and PP, that ground is mostly for going on top of crap, more background than contact, so I'll probably end up making it darker/more background like.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 18:18:28 by pumpkin »
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 05:01:38 »
I keep thinking I'll leave a comment about this tileset, but I just can't picture some of its function.  Could you make a screenshot for this?

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 07:43:07 »
I thought I had one... Must've been forever ago... I'll do it in the morning... I need to sleep.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 19:10:43 »
SCREENSHOT!!!  :D :D :D
-The Meat Puppets

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 01:13:53 »
Hmmm.. looks a lot worse in actual usage than as a raw tileset. :/
Lurk more.