(Tileset) Atlantis

• 66 Replies

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
(Tileset) Atlantis
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:08:04 »
This tileset was thought of in art class, but I created it just a few minutes ago, liked it and thought "Better put it in the development showcase" so i did just that. Suggestions/comments please!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 20:08:49 by pumpkin »
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Re: A random tileset I did in like five minutes.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:44:38 »
I don't remember, but I believe these usually end up in the Knytt Stories board.. I dunno.

Definitely looks like a 5-minute tileset, though.
Lurk more.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 16:31:03 »
No, tilesets go in Development Showcase.

And...this tileset really could have benefited from having more time put into it.  22 tiles isn't much of a tileset...

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:54 »
Ooh.

Please say you're going to fill up the rest of that tileset! It made me think 'Atlantis' before I even saw that's what you named it, with those stylised waves in the Greek-key style. Nice colours, too... I can see this becoming the new 'Technology of the Ancients'-type tileset that people use to set that sort of timelessly-advanced, Neveryon-ish fantasy mood.

On which note, if you do finish the tileset, I demand a crystal skull be in it!

Other suggestions:

Minoan-style dolphins (like the ones pictured here)

Mosaic-style background tiles to complement the ground tiles (GIMP & Photoshop both have filters that will make all the fiddly tiny mosaic tiles for you) and/or plaster-fresco wall tile/s (fresco filter also exists)

Greek-style braziers, amphorae, vases, etc.

Glows (gradiented)

Strange bronze gears (an astrolabe is probably too complex for KS resolution) -- bronze and/or copper will look quite good with that verdigris-ish shade of green you used)

Clouds

Bridges (it's a water city...)

Instead of a sphinx, why not a shedu?

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:22:55 »
Goodness gracious me, of course I'm filling it in! C)p It might take a long time, but it very well could become a standard for newbies! Yay thanks for all the good suggestions Jack!
-The Meat Puppets

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:26:51 »
I can see this becoming the new 'Technology of the Ancients'-type tileset that people use to set that sort of timelessly-advanced, Neveryon-ish fantasy mood.
Uh.. yeah.. sure.
Lurk more.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:18:17 »
I can see this becoming the new 'Technology of the Ancients'-type tileset that people use to set that sort of timelessly-advanced, Neveryon-ish fantasy mood.
Uh.. yeah.. sure.
Come now Purple Pineapple, I've been working on this for at most twenty minutes, could you be a BIT less judgemental? Or at least follow it up with some constructive criticism, please? I'm not being confrontational, and I hope you're not either, thanks!
-The Meat Puppets

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 03:04:02 »
Purple Pineapple can't teach you how to draw, and neither can I, but there are websites than can.  If you're genuinely interested in making better tilesets, I suggest you search for them, in addition to studying existing tilesets, in addition to practicing (obviously).

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 03:23:52 »
I'm not trying to LEARN how to draw, I'm only looking for some suggestions people might have to make this one tileset better! C)p Let's not let this turn silly, not that this whole tileset isn't ridiculous. What am I saying, I like this stupid tileset, and if anybody is generally interested in the progress I'm making on it, here you go.
-The Meat Puppets

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 03:53:50 »
Come now Purple Pineapple, I've been working on this for at most twenty minutes, could you be a BIT less judgemental? Or at least follow it up with some constructive criticism, please? I'm not being confrontational, and I hope you're not either, thanks!
I was saying that the "Technology of the Ancients" has been used countless times. A tileset made in 20 minutes simple does not have the same impact as one like that. For instance: the statues and white circle-line things. The statues are very well done, and the circle-lines have alpha channel, whereas this tileset maintains a pink background. I don't want to be overly critical, but some parts look like they were done in MS paint. The least you could do is add some shading or texture so it doesn't look so flat.
Lurk more.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 08:35:30 »
There seems to be a serious disconnect between users of this forum who believe only polished, finished work should be shared, and users who feel that feedback during the creative process (which necessarily requires sharing work which is neither finished nor polished) is both worthwhile and desirable. These two incompatible viewpoints lead, naturally, to disagreements... which wind up derailing discussions in posts intended to be about either polished, finished work, or work which is still in progress. Either way, the result is a bunch of off-topic infighting in a thread which, one way or the other, was intended by the user who posted their work to be about their work.

In this case, pumpkin specifically asked for constructive criticism. There's an old saying that applies here, it goes something like "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

PP, I obviously wasn't suggesting that the incomplete first draft of the tileset was of the same finished, polished quality as 'Technology of the Ancients.' That would be stupid. But there are many KS players who have (or claim to have) a knee-jerk reaction against any level which uses default tilesets, especially ones that have been 'done to death'... and the community can't have it both ways, i.e., both that the default tilesets are old and boring, and that no custom tileset has a hope of being as good as the default ones.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 15:05:34 »
There seems to be a serious disconnect between users of this forum who believe only polished, finished work should be shared, and users who feel that feedback during the creative process (which necessarily requires sharing work which is neither finished nor polished) is both worthwhile and desirable.

Who is the first group made up of?  I haven't actually seen anyone making any sort of statement that only finished work should be shared.  I have, however, noticed that it is possible some posts could be (most likely mis)interpreted to imply it.

that no custom tileset has a hope of being as good as the default ones.

I have never, ever seen this said.  Could you provide an example?

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 01:15:53 »
PP, I obviously wasn't suggesting that the incomplete first draft of the tileset was of the same finished, polished quality as 'Technology of the Ancients.' That would be stupid. But there are many KS players who have (or claim to have) a knee-jerk reaction against any level which uses default tilesets, especially ones that have been 'done to death'... and the community can't have it both ways, i.e., both that the default tilesets are old and boring, and that no custom tileset has a hope of being as good as the default ones.
I was implying this tileset was a 20 minute tileset. I never said I expected Nifflas-quality tilesets to be produced.
Lurk more.

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 13:58:06 »
You should make those two statues  have glowing eyes, and if juni comes close to them they shoot lasers! :D

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 20:18:53 »
I didn't intend this to get so good as to be called "high quality", I just wanted feedback so that I could improve the damned thing to where I think it looks good... Sorry if it caused a heated debate.
-The Meat Puppets