[Normal][Chalenge][Enviromental?] Blue House

• 11 Replies

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
[Normal][Chalenge][Enviromental?] Blue House
« on: April 21, 2010, 23:30:36 »
I forgot to make this topic for released levels.  This is the Blue House for the Competition and WooT, I won. X)

In this level, Juni is asked to retrieve a random red flag.  And so she enters a haunted house.

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Grimwit%20-%20Blue%20House.knytt.bin

1.  Er...There is one, count them, ONE save point in the entire level and despite the complaints I've gotten, I still think it was a good move being that it is set in the exact center of the level and having to repeat the same challenge over and over is still on the low.  I stand by my design choice, even though I'm probably not going to do it again.

2.  There is a secret "challenge" in this level that no one seems to have found, yet, which makes me a sad panda.  If you find it, could you post what you thought of it?  I will warn you that it does sort of exacerbate the issue with the single save spot and you will pull your hair out.  I laugh at your pain.

3.  I know this was discused in the Designer's Trap thread in this forum, but Blue House suffers from IWS (Invisable Wall Syndrome).  I promise, you will not notice it.

4.  Finally, please enjoy the level.  If you don't, then it's sort of pointless to upload it, but I think you will.  If for no other reason than the music I found from Newgrounds by Shadow6Nothing9.

V.1.0

Bugs:
Oh god help me, if you find bugs, because this level is very hard to alter given how each screen was made.  That said, please don't be discouraged from looking for voids and wall swims (except the obvious one in the secret area.
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

Offline ElMirador

• TuT
    • View Profile
Re: [Normal][Chalenge][Enviromental?] Blue House
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:18:33 »
Meaningless gibber:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Playing XD
mmm...I love the piano solo.

but..seems I'm stuck.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:52:05 by ElMirador »
[achvmnt]VkVSMDIAAACBwgAAgYEAAAAAAAAA[/achvmnt]WaDF is the one of the best plaformer games I've ever played XD

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:46:12 »
This is the Blue House for the Competition and WooT, I won. X)
Of course you won! This level is flawless.

Single savepoint..
Lurk more.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:05:09 »
Yay! you finally made a topic for this so I can tell the world how much I love this level C)p

Honestly, it's amazing. I really liked the idea of using gradients for the rooms instead of a tileset. I'm thinking about copying that style for some future level of mine :shifty:

Congratulations again on winning!
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:18:46 »
I played this level a few days ago. I LOL'ed at the Bad Dudes reference X)  I liked the haunted house theme, even though this story has a humorous setting. As for the level design, it was good, but... yes, I was gonna suggest to include at least one more save point :P It's not that the challenges are too hard (there were spots that I found a little hard, but nothing aggravating)... but it's a little annoying having to climb (or descend) many screens after dying twice or three times at the same spot. However, seeing that I caused you quite a lot of grief with my own level, I don't think I get to complain much  :oops: Also, the level is pretty short, so this is not really an issue. I'm just lazy.

I didn't even know there was a secret ending... I'll check again. If I manage to find it, I'll come back to this thread to comment on it.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline grimwit

• View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 19:35:16 »
Thanks, guys.  You'll be happy to know that instead of drawing commissions and trying to earn money, I did those backgrounds.  ^_^

Yay!  I'm obsessive!

Meanwhile...

@ElMirador

Offline ElMirador

• TuT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 03:07:31 »
Meanwhile...

@ElMirador

Thanks for hinting. finally i beated the level XD.That's great.
all the designs are very very impressive.
the one and only save spot makes me a little bit crazy :oops::

oh another thing.
[achvmnt]VkVSMDIAAACBwgAAgYEAAAAAAAAA[/achvmnt]WaDF is the one of the best plaformer games I've ever played XD

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:21:43 »
see attatchment
Lurk more.

Offline ElMirador

• TuT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 15:57:20 »
6 means lucky XD
but the triple-7 is better  8)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 09:57:50 »
Another great level grimwit. Loved the cutscenes. Found the secret area on my first play through.
I didn't get all the references in the game, but thanks for the nod to A Knytt in Time. What level is the red cat from?

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 13:26:52 »
Great level. Really nice atmosphere, the music was spot on. It was hard but still very pleasant throught the entire level. The graphics are very nice and I love how you draw Juni in your cutscenes. This is a high quality level.

Loved the ending.

Offline grimwit

• View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 16:42:36 »
heh.  The secret challenge, alas doesn't give you anything new, it was just an after thought, then I had to upload the level due to time constraints.