Does this level exist?

• 29 Replies
Re: Does this level exist?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 00:40:34 »
How about using items that serve no real purpose. Like the keys or detector or eye.
Lurk more.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 00:53:44 »
Prolly a nice idea.  Should it be a winnable level though?  If so, how?

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 01:36:00 »
You take all the items back to the spaceship, same as in Knytt. :P
Lurk more.

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 02:07:58 »
Hmmm.  Sounds like a plan.  Maybe I should add a secret warp to the tutorial zone.  o.O

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 17:27:05 »
Hmmm.  Sounds like a plan.  Maybe I should add a secret warp to the tutorial zone.  o.O

Or begin the level with it, but a secret is a nice idea too :)

EDIT: btw, are you aware of all the secret area's? It would be nice to have all of them too.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 01:45:18 »
Lurk more.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 05:51:15 »
Yeah, I actually had that downloaded for a reference to work with.  Although I pretty much know the Knytt map inside and out.  I think I beat it something like 4 times, and explored for hours on end.  Haha.

Any more tips are welcome here until I get around to putting up a preview thread for this level.  I'm currently trying to buzz through making a "first level," in order to acquaint myself with the level editor and all of its functions(I'm new to the editing scene).

Because of that, I don't know when I'll start physically working on this conversion.  But yeah, I downloaded the tiles/ambient/music pack from that link.  It's really nice.  I'm not sure if it has all of the tiles or not, because I didn't take a good long look at it.  If not, that's okay, because it does contain a big chunk of them.  I can get the strays myself if need be.

That's about it for now.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 14:10:18 »
If so I have a tip for you:

The game has teleporters in it (mostly for secret areas). If you place a shift, you can give it the appearance of a Knytt Teleporter. (pulsing star)
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 17:20:47 »
The game has teleporters in it (mostly for secret areas). If you place a shift, you can give it the appearance of a Knytt Teleporter. (pulsing star)
For Silhouette's benefit, the way you do that is by setting the shift Type to Circle, the Invisible flag to off, and the Activate On Touch flag to True.

Another thing you'll need to take into consideration is that many of the secret passages are in front of the player.  IIRC, Knytt goes behind the wall and a shining light indicates where he is.
Tiles cannot be in front of the player (only object layers 6 and 7 are in front of the player), so the way you can simulate that is by using a Custom Objects that look like walls, placing them on layer 6 or 7, and then placing bright green Detect Targets on the same tiles (so if the player has the Detector, they'll glow from behind the wall).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 17:23:24 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 21:50:29 »
I appreciate your good intentions, but I agree with minmay - conversion like this would be pointless. Why?

Because Knytt's physics are different from Knytt Stories' physics. Notice that Knytt's movement speed is quicker than Juni's walking speed and quicker than Juni's running speed. Whichever choice you make it would ruin gameplay

• No running power - it will be irritating to explore big map while moving like snail. Also lots of jumps would be impossible
  • Running power - All of challenges would be very easy. Also secrets would be too easy to find them out.

Anyway if you still want to make it here are some ideas:

• If you want to keep Knytt's atmosphere you really should animate all of the things, which were animated in Knytt. With enough patience with catching screens it's donable but really, really annoying.
  • Remember LG and Super Speed (don't remember the shortcut ;)) cheats? It would be nice to use some shifts and give player High Jump (maybe Double Jump too) on LG and Running (if you took scenario #1) on Super Speed
  • Make tutorial as beggining of the map, not secret please  :^^:

I hope you've got my point. Copy of Knytt wouldn't be very creative, but how about creating a new map, based on same idea (collecting parts) with same tilesets? It would be a challenge for newb levelmaker, but I would appreciate this kind of work much more than making a copy.

Good luck!

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 03:30:29 »
Because Knytt's physics are different from Knytt Stories' physics. Notice that Knytt's movement speed is quicker than Juni's walking speed and quicker than Juni's running speed. Whichever choice you make it would ruin gameplay
Yeah. You go tell that to the guys making WaDF for KS.
Lurk more.

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 06:03:28 »
I appreciate your good intentions, but I agree with minmay - conversion like this would be pointless. Why?

• No running power - it will be irritating to explore big map while moving like snail. Also lots of jumps would be impossible
  • Running power - All of challenges would be very easy. Also secrets would be too easy to find them out.

First off, regardless of how many times you tell me it's pointless, it won't make a difference.  I am quite fond of the idea.  Secondly, since when was the name of this post "come on in and bash my ideas... go ahead, the purpose of this thread is to figure out who disagrees with my intentions and who thinks I'm wasting my time."  When? Never.  Honestly, I don't need your opinion at all.

With that said, I don't agree with your points either.
Yeah, physics are different; movement speed is different.  Big whoop.  No one ever declared this had to be a 100% true to form remake of Knytt.  In fact, if I wanted to do a 100% true to form remake, I'd just load Knytt in MMF, and save it as "Knytt Remake."  By recreating the level in Knytt Stories, the purpose is to put a new spin on an old environment.

Furthermore: "whichever choice you make it would ruin gameplay."
Lolk.  Whatever you say.  I highly disagree, and again, this opinion is worthless to me.

As for the two supporting details:
No running power - First of all, I do realize some people have a problem with moving like a "snail."  And yeah, some jumps would be impossible.  So no running power is out of the question.  HOWEVER, in regards to the second detail:
Running power - "All of the challenges would be very easy?"  What challenges?  The original Knytt didn't sport too many challenges, save for maybe the last legs of the journey.  Why?  That wasn't the point.  Knytt was at heart an exploratory platformer.  More like a work of art then a game if you ask me.  Who really cares if the so called challenges are easy?  If you're looking for a gut-busting face-palming challenge, you most likely wouldn't want to play the original Knytt in the first place.
And: "Secrets would be too easy to find them out."  One, that sentence isn't even grammatically correct.  Two, if you're playing the original Knytt adventure on KS then it's pretty safe to say you've already played through Knytt.  Most people already know the locations of secrets.  It's going to be easy to find them regardless of the movement speed.

Therefore, I see running power as a perfectly acceptable form of movement, seeing as you can slow yourself down or stop altogether if you want to enjoy a beautiful screen.  Like I said, this isn't suppose to be a 100% perfect remake.  It's a new spin.

Now that that's out of the way...
I do plan to animate many of the things from Knytt.  It's the only way to recapture all of the wondrous charm.
The "cheat" powerup idea may be useful.
I haven't decided between a beginning or a secret for the tutorial area yet.  It could be both.

I hope you've got my point. Copy of Knytt wouldn't be very creative, but how about creating a new map, based on same idea (collecting parts) with same tilesets? It would be a challenge for newb levelmaker, but I would appreciate this kind of work much more than making a copy.

Okay...
So knowing full well that my intentions are to recreate the original story, you start by insulting my creativity.  Then, you tell me to carry out a different task that would be more pleasing to you.  THEN, you say "newb levelmaker," using the term as what could be interpreted as an insult, rather than simply saying "beginner."  Finally, you cap it off with telling me what YOU would appreciate.  o.o

Get this into your head: I'm recreating the original Knytt as a Knytt Story.  It won't be a perfect clone, but rather a quite similar variant geared for KS.  I don't care if it isn't creative by your standards.

"Good luck!"
What the heck is that?  A slap in the face after an attack on my ideals, creativity, and skills.  Classy.

Okay.  Thanks for you're viable advice, and your input.  Have a good day.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 13:41:50 by Silhouette »

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 08:14:56 »
Take it easy, guys!

Silhouette, I've sent you a PM, please read it.

Regarding the project, bringing the Knytt universe into KS might seem like a daunting task, but I think it is certainly worth trying. Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:02:53 by SiamJai »

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 13:10:54 »
Okay.  My apologies to you RunMan.

Last night was a rough night full of busy work and deep studies, both of which can be quite frustrating.  I think by the time I finally got around to checking the forums I was, for the most, part both groggy and cranky.  I had a lot of steam to blow off.  However, it was wrong to blow it off on you.

After reading over the post, I would agree that it is unnecessarily quarrelsome.

Please disregard all of my comments about not needing your opinion.  In fact, I actually respect your opinion, hence the reason I flipped out. =P

Also disregard anything and everything that may have came off as insulting to you, or just uncalled for in general.  I asure you I didn't mean it to be as harsh as it reads.

So yeah, pretty much disregard the whole post, as it was quite idiotic.

In my defense, I did, at the time, feel like I was under attack(partly do to my mood).  So, naturally, I defended my self(in the wrong ways obviously).

There are a few bits and pieces of "real" information spewed about my post that are worth reading, and I do think I made some viable arguments worth seeing.  Nevertheless, the majority of the post was useless.

Sorry for my outrage.  There is no real excuse for it.  I have now read everything you had posted again, but with a clear head, and I have taken it all into heavy consideration.

Thank you sincerely for your opinion/advice.

EDIT: I would also like to apologize to everyone else that had to witness my nonsense.  Hopefully your opinions of me haven't fallen too far into the abyss.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 13:47:11 by Silhouette »

Offline TrogdorRunner

• Purpose: Cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 20:39:55 »
Copy of Knytt wouldn't be very creative, but how about creating a new map, based on same idea (collecting parts) with same tilesets? It would be a challenge for newb levelmaker, but I would appreciate this kind of work much more than making a copy.

I had the exact same idea, so I started a level myself! You could maybe class me as a "newb levelmaker", I'm not sure.
I have no sig. Oh wait. Never mind.