Idea: How about a Round Robin?

• 36 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Idea: How about a Round Robin?
« on: February 20, 2010, 21:59:31 »
In fanfic writing and science fiction fandom, a Round Robin is a story that is being written in turns by several authors, usually rather randomly - i.e., someone writes the first part, puts it somewhere where other writers can see it, and someone else decides to continue it, and then someone else continues after that, etc. Basically, whoever feels like it at a time can write a part.

Now, this technique probably wouldn't work so well for a challenge level, as those need to be somewhat more deliberately planned out. However, it could work just fine for an environmental, I think. And there is one tileset that IMO is just screaming to be turned into a proper environmental: Smashy's tundra tileset. Seriously, has anyone ever used that for anything but a very small area in a larger world? Yet it is - potentially - such a very versatile tileset, and a very beautiful one, too! The best use of it that I can remember having seen is in Shawnachu's environmental level Natural. Every time I walk through the tundra/snowy mountain area there I wish it were larger - much larger.

So, why not have an environmental Round Robin based on that tileset? Let's say everyone who participates builds about five screens, and they have to follow somewhat organically from the adjacent areas, and that's it, for rules. Well, and obviously we need to take turns rather than everyone starting at once, because otherwise the parts wouldn't integrate well...

Two more... rules, or suggestions: 1.) Other tilesets may be brought in, but use them very sparingly, and only if they fit in with the tundra tileset in terms of style etc., and 2.) try to push the tundra tileset - I'm pretty sure that's a tileset that will go a loooong way if you push it...

Y/N? Remarks, suggestions? Questions?

Edited to add a screenshot from Natural.

ETA2: see text in italics.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 22:13:12 by Hmpf »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: Idea: How about a Round Robin?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 22:24:55 »
I don't think such a constrained theme is best for a round robin, but this method does seem a lot better than the old community level.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 22:31:43 »
I don't think such a constrained theme is best for a round robin, but this method does seem a lot better than the old community level.

I admit it's mostly born of my desire to see someone - if necessary, a group - do for that tileset what Kohdi did for Fredrik Andersson's Thin Forest one. I can sort of see the makings of a wonderful environmental in that tileset, but it doesn't seem to exist yet.

Anyway, I'd be willing to try less constrained RRs, too, of course. In that case, I'd just have to make the all-tundra-all-the-time environmental myself. Or badger someone else into doing it. ;-)

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 23:48:04 »
A round robin style collabourative level sounds like fun -- especially if it leads to a nice, LoCP-safe environmental level  ;) -- and the tileset you're suggesting for it looks like a good, versatile choice, from what I can tell. And five rooms seems like a good number for giving each designer a substantial stake in the project, and sufficient room to develop their contribution, without being so daunting that contributors are likely to drop out.

Could you point me to the tileset and/or the level Natural, though? It isn't up on the archive.

I would be honoured to work on a level with you... do you want to wait until there are more participants signed up, or get started?

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 01:20:07 »
what its a LoCP?
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 03:18:32 »
what its a LoCP?

See my signature. Lobby/self-help/support group for those of us who are... challenged in the reflexes department etc. ;-)

ETA: the Jack, you're on. I'll take second, if there are no other takers.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:49:03 »
Oh, this thing is eating my head.

I'm looking at putting some non-default music, ambience, tilesets & gradients into the folder. (Okay, so I already made the gradients. Everything else is by Not Me.) Do you want to set a policy on that? Or on custom objects, as I'd really like to be able to use at least CO versions of some of the flowers from the Tundra tileset... not that I've had time to even look up how to make those yet.

You'll be happy to know one of my screens is very water-themed, with unexpected waterfalls etc. -- hopefully I'll be including at least one more with falling water <g> if I can fit it in -- and that one of the two ambience files I have picked out is of running water.  ;)

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:27:55 »
I would  <3 to help out with this! Send me a PM when it's my turn, and I'll get working. would it be OK if I use some other custom stuff?
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 21:03:17 »
I would  <3 to help out with this! Send me a PM when it's my turn, and I'll get working. would it be OK if I use some other custom stuff?

Everyone's welcome to contribute!

And I'm fine with custom stuff, as long as it doesn't turn the level into Randomosity Central. ;-)

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 22:02:13 »
Koolies, I'm in! 8D
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 22:47:32 »
Five screens? That's like, ten minutes of work. Which is almost nothing. I'm in.
As long as I don't have to work for something, I can do anything. Yay for underachieving. :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 22:36:04 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 22:38:16 »
So, is this thing still going on? It'd be nice to see something in the thread once in a while.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 22:50:00 »
So, is this thing still going on? It'd be nice to see something in the thread once in a while.

the Jack is working on it, AFAIK.

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 23:39:22 »
This sounds awesome :D A great idea!

Can I join?
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.