[challenge/normal/long] A Knytt in Time

• 54 Replies

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
Re: [challenge/normal/long] A Knytt in Time
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 18:31:58 »
Okay, the girl you show the umbrella is now hungry. I saw an obvious-looking bunch of berries in the forest area, but even after I grab them, I can't give them to the kid. Help...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:50:59 by egomassive »

Offline drwright

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 22:59:32 »
this is simply a marvelously well thought out and crafted level... I absolutely loved it and I thank you for all the time and energy you and others put into this. All I can say now is: More please.....

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 00:59:16 »
@ Hmpf: I don't see anything. Can you be more specific?

Something about the background - there's a corner there that looks unintentional, as if a tile is missing. But maybe it's intentional after all.

I played some more today... and I am actually kind of... really annoyed, right now, with one of the challenges. Well, actually not so much with one of them, but with the fact that there's a whole row of them, some of which require quite a lot of patience because you have to wait for a robot to finish its pattern several times over - and that whole sequence is without a single savepoint. I'm talking about the room with the time machine and the flying robot and the two buttons. There's a savepoint outside the cave, and that's it. So, you jump past the first fire-spitting critter, and the second and third, and that's easy enough, but then you get to the room with the flying robot, where you almost inevitably get killed plenty of times - and get sent back, every time, to before the fire-spitting wall critters. Which would be annoying, but not *truly* catastrophic. No, what sends this into ragequitting territory for me is the fact that once you've finally solved the bloody flying-robot-and-buttons conundrum, and used the time machine, you'd expect there to be a savepoint, wouldn't you? But instead, there's just another robot that is difficult to get past without getting killed another couple of times or so - and, since there is no savepoint, every time you die there, you go back again to before the fire-spitting wall critters and the flying robot and buttons purgatory. And that is just..... ARRRGH!

Seriously. That feels just a tad sadistic. Why not put a savepoint in with the time machine? Does anybody really *enjoy* having to repeat something fairly time-consuming that they'd just *finally* managed to do?

ETA: None of this changes my love for the look and concept of the level, of course.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:45:03 by Hmpf »

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 04:21:04 »
That pissed me off too. When I run into dumb stuff like that, I try about 3-7 times, then bust out the Explore Challenge Cheat. I can beat Lunatic levels (with some patience), but when the stupid deaths start piling up, I WILL simply say "screw it" and teleport past an excessively annoying hazard.

That said, this was an awesome level and I loved it. I'm planning on starting LPing soon, and this level is definitely one I will do.

Also, where are all the toasts and Present-Anna? That's really all that's left on my plate now.

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 06:01:01 »
Originally there were 2 water robots and the first save point came after the first 4 lasers. That was sadistic. I get through the point in question without incident usually, and none of my testers complained. But, you're completely right there are 7 obstacles between the save points and 6 of them are deadly. None of them are difficult individually, but once you add them all together it is a bit much.

I'm going to re-evaluate save point spreads throughout.

I want to warn cheaters to be sure they're not going somewhere they shouldn't be able to. The game is very complex logically. You could trap yourself, run into voids, or miss story elements by cheating.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 06:34:07 »
Damminals dude this has to be the greatest level I have ever played!! Major props!
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:01:38 »
Originally there were 2 water robots and the first save point came after the first 4 lasers. That was sadistic. I get through the point in question without incident usually, and none of my testers complained. But, you're completely right there are 7 obstacles between the save points and 6 of them are deadly. None of them are difficult individually, but once you add them all together it is a bit much.

I'm going to re-evaluate save point spreads throughout.

I want to warn cheaters to be sure they're not going somewhere they shouldn't be able to. The game is very complex logically. You could trap yourself, run into voids, or miss story elements by cheating.
I tend to avoid using the cheat much on maps bigger than 1KB, since they tend to be that size due to shifts switching you between many maps. It's hard to follow Juni through the map editor, as well, meaning it's not a good idea to try and drop items into the map, since you're likely to drop them on the wrong section. Very not worth the trouble, if you ask me.

I use the teleport cheat exclusively to bypass jumps/hazards that become way too annoying for my patience. I don't use it to go wallswimming or anything like that. Porting out of the machine tubes in particular can get you launched into a void on this level if you're not careful.

Oh, um, where are Present-Anna and the 10 toasts? You never did answer that. I found... 3 of them, but the rest are impossible.

Offline lamarblake

• ICU
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 14:26:17 »
I've waited to post on this level as I've been very busy and not been able to play the level in a single sitting. I'm still not done with the level but thought it was time to have my say. Here it is.  Yay!  I concur with, I believe, Klamrisk when he said he missed levels like this coming out every week.

This is right up my alley as I love puzzly maze like levels. Getting lost in this level has been so easy as I play a little bit one day, come back the next only to have forgotten where I'd been, where I was going or what I'm supposed to do next!  That's ok, because with the recent dearth of really good new levels like this I can keep busy for some time to come trying to finish!

I bow to you and offer many thanks for your hard work!

BTW First level? That in itself is impressive.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 15:35:23 »

To give you some more, potentially more useful feedback: I think in my case the annoyance is not so much due simply to the number of deadly obstacles in a row but to the fact that one of them - the flying robot in combination with the buttons - is a fairly annoying and time-consuming one. That robot in itself is basically two or three obstacles in itself, because (okay, maybe this is me being a crap player) I couldn't really switch on the buttons in one go. So it was basically, hide in the tunnel to the left while waiting for the robot to finish its low sweeps; dash over to run across the buttons a couple of times; dash back to the tunnel to wait for the robot to clear the area again; dash back to the buttons; dash back to the tunnel; dash back to the buttons... and that was the ideal version, where nothing went wrong. There was also the option: wait in the tunnel, dash over to the buttons, be a tiny bit too hasty in jumping back over to the tunnel again and fall into the shaft at the bottom, and whoops, the buttons are reset to zero, arrgh. (Not to mention the option: wait in the tunnel, dash over to the buttons, try to dash back to the tunnel and get killed.)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 00:46:53 »
Oh, um, where are Present-Anna and the 10 toasts? You never did answer that. I found... 3 of them, but the rest are impossible.

I'd rather not have that info listed here, I'll PM you. If anyone else wants this info PM me with "A Knytt in Time" or"AKiT" in the subject.

edit: I've made a walkthrough. Please check it for answers before messaging me. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:33:03 by egomassive »

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 01:54:46 »
Fair enough. Thank you.

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 01:47:41 »
Hey, I absolutely loved this level. It felt so professionally put together. At the start it had the same feel as some 'real' games, like Legend of Zelda. The whole thing went together really well. I also liked that after a certain points I could start working things out for myself and didn't have to talk to my Grandma for the latter half of the game. The hints are good, but it's good to be able to do without them.

So yeah, very fun, very clever, very well put together. :D Probably the best level I've played since 'A Strange Dream'.

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 17:35:27 »
Wow! This is a really amazing level! I'm honored that you used my tiles in it. :) I got all 3 endings, starting with a C, then a B, and finally an A+. There were some frustrating parts, but they were few and far between, so overall great job! It's definitely "Nifflas quality".

Spoiler: Bugs (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 17:18:46 »
@ Pie_Sniper: The wallswims on door entries happen when Juni is falling and enters a door. It might have something to do with the fact that I used the floor type on all door shifts. I believe it's a game engine issue.

The void is definitely a Knytt Stories engine issue. I double checked my level and everything is programmed right. I think what you did was exit through the corner. For some reason, if you exit exactly through the corner you bypass the warp controls. It has to be perfect, but in a level this complex it's bound to happen.

Offline theiza27

• 'allo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 03:10:43 »
woohooo finally finished with the ultimate ending (i'm presuming?)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
great level... i like the
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)