Site Glitch?

• 11 Replies

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Site Glitch?
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:56:03 »
This isn't really that big of a deal, but I noticed my profile says that I have only 45 posts (46 with this post). But when I click the "Show the last posts of this person" button and go to the last page, it says I have 333 posts (334 with this post). What happened?
:hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:

Re: Site Glitch?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:03:16 »
Yeah. The post count things are messed up. Like, for example I was trying to get a screen shot of my something or other special number of post counts. I posted three times and it stayed the same. I posted a fourth time and it jumped past the number. :(
Lurk more.

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 04:08:10 »
A majority of the posts (according to your statistics page) that you have made are in the forum games section, and it would make sense that those posts would not go towards your post count.  Or perhaps it could be from the SMF mod that hides the post counts of users from view in posts, which could also mess up the post count somewhat. In either case, yeah, it doesn't really matter at all.

That's at least what I remember from discussions that took place a while ago, but you will be able to get a more concise answer from a staff member. :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 04:12:01 by chipset »
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:15:18 »
The answer is very simple: We didn't set postcount checks for the boards that are not Nifflas related. All the games will count to the postcount, where the forum games, etc... aren't. The posts are only for statistic measure to see how much people talk about Nifflas' games. They are inaccurate for a normal forum and it creates some kind of status which is why we hidden the entire thing.

So to say: the postcounter is broken on purpose.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 00:55:32 »
Why are people concerned about post count? :(

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 02:46:06 »
Why are people concerned about post count? :(
Best reply to this thread yet. C:
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 02:52:13 »
Wow, I was wondering what this in the Official Forum Rules was all about:
Do not mention someone's postcount. Even if it's yours or anyone else's, don't. Failing to respect this can result in your postcount being altered.
I remember hearing something to the extent of "we know they're broken, just please ignore them" by a mod somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.  But I'm sure I read it somewhere, because ever since then I've always wondered in what way they were "broken."

But I was always afraid to ask because I misread the rule to mean "don't talk about postcounts at all" rather than "don't mention a user's postcount."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:55:23 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 03:46:23 »
Do not mention someone's postcount. Even if it's yours or anyone else's, don't. Failing to respect this can result in your postcount being altered.
I remember hearing something to the extent of "we know they're broken, just please ignore them" by a mod somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.  But I'm sure I read it somewhere, because ever since then I've always wondered in what way they were "broken."

But I was always afraid to ask because I misread the rule to mean "don't talk about postcounts at all" rather than "don't mention a user's postcount."
This isn't Fight Club. :P
"Rule 1: Do not talk about postcounts.
Rule 2: Do NOT talk about postcounts!"

Offline Evil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:56:07 »

but thats what everyone in this thread is doing  :sad:

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:09 »

but thats what everyone in this thread is doing  :sad:
No, that was a reference to Fight Club, where rule 1 is "Do not talk about Fight Club" and rule 2 is "Do NOT talk about Fight Club!" :P

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:52:17 »
..from which came the derivation of the rules 1 and 2 of the internet.[/offtopic]
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 08:41:56 »
The simple reason why we disabled postcounts to be shown is because people will be encouraged by it to post. We believe that this community is strong enough to not need such encouragements (otherwise resulting in a lot of spam posts and off-topic posts so people can boost their postcount, and yes, I've seen that happen a lot before.)

We here think that every member is equal in status. We don't want a postcount to say: person 1 has more posts, so he's better than person 2 with less posts made. In the past, people have been given the status of authority due to them having much posts (this often happens on forums) but its not always justified.

Having that said, it seems this topic goes way off-topic. The purpose of the topic has been met already so I'm locking this.

Going off-topic really is a no-no!

*locked*
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex