« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 05:58:01 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Oh, and very nice level! :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:39:58 by GrayFace »

Re: [Challenge/Maze, Hard] The Coming of the Dark
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 21:54:10 »
Thanks for the great level!
I'm stuck((
I get blue key...and now i can't get back...What should I do now?

Offline Talps

• ...especially in a life-or-death situation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 03:52:30 »
Wow; I'd kind of given this up for dead and I'm really pleased that people are playing and enjoying it! I have made a few changes and might one day release an edited version. At the moment I'm very slowly working on a new level, so... (Kind of out of ideas right now, though).

Corpse, if you climb down the wall on the left a bit, you should be able to make the jump to the right I think, and climb up.

Grayface, I really appreciate your input and will look into it. I never really thoguht about the background, though I probably should've, because my old laptop was pretty bright and if anything was too dark, I only had to tilt the screen further back. I didn't really think about how it might appear on other computers. I'll look into your other suggestions.

Mephist, you have to backtrack over the rooftops to get back to the entrance of that area.

Also, Hooray! Someone got to the end!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:05:30 by Talps »

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 13:57:56 »
Hey, I finished this yesterday. It was a fun level with lots of nice challenges.

I liked the hub, although at times trekking to and from it was something of a chore. Maybe put in a series of teleporters that open up gradually as the game progresses?

Also, I think a few sections seemed somewhat unfair and luck-based, like the

Oh, and, I found a wallswim.

Still, I really enjoyed playing it, and hope to play more of your levels soon :)

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 00:09:34 »
OK, look, I have no idea what to do. I'm at the hub. I've got run climb high jump double jump detector and the purple key. Where do I go?!

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 17:55:22 »
Go to the desert; there are some ghosts in there that'll give you some clues.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 22:02:11 »
I know, they said if they could only climb higher, but there's nothing to climb higher on.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 22:05:01 »
Never mind, I'm stupid.

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
Re: [Challenge/Maze, Lunatic] The Coming of the Dark
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 18:06:10 »
Quarantine with two toddlers has driven me to insane lengths. Deep enough to delve into Talps' very first level............ resurrected here over 10 years later. This is probably the second or third time I've played it, other times were many years ago. Apparently the author disowned it, since it no longer appears in Talps' signature. Rightfully so, as this lunatic-level challenge is completely unfair at its best.  C)p

I found myself cursing that name several times, which I'll mention here specifically in case the author or anyone else is masochistic enough to relive this challenge.
Spoiler: Hardest Parts (click to show/hide)
Having said ALL of that, I really enjoyed playing through the level for a few reasons:
Spoiler: Good Things (click to show/hide)

I honestly feel a sense of accomplishment having beaten this BEAST without cheating. It's probably the 2nd or 3rd hardest level I've played. (Deep Sea 2 being #1)

Hope to see more from this promising upstart of a KS level designer!  C)p

Offline oriane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 02:59:26 »

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 11:20:35 »
Quarantine with two toddlers has driven me to insane lengths. Deep enough to delve into Talps' very first level............ resurrected here over 10 years later. This is probably the second or third time I've played it, other times were many years ago. Apparently the author disowned it, since it no longer appears in Talps' signature. Rightfully so, as this lunatic-level challenge is completely unfair at its best.  C)p
Thanks for softening the blow there, friend. I didn't ask you to play my disowned, orphaned, unloved, out-in-the-cold-where-there-is-groaning-and-gnashing-of-teeth firstborn level, you know.

Fun fact: those first few screens where you're hopping around on pillars and collecting all of the jump upgrades were literally the first screens I ever made as I taught myself to use the editor.
Talps top tip: Using the first screens you ever made when teaching yourself to use the editor as the opening as an epic-length super level is a great way of setting the tone for your players! Anyone who plays past that point either has Half-Life-series-protagonist-level stubbornness issues, or is a masochist!

:P2

Spoiler: Pfrangip's Good Things (click to show/hide)

Yup, definitely a masochist.
Thanks. :)

Oriane, glad you had fun, too! (And nice username!)

*Kidding!

EDIT:
x993y991-x991y990: The spike masher room is just... I mean look at it. There's no "safe zone" and I found myself believing it to be legitimately impossible the first two dozen times I did it. Plus I kept dying to the ninja-monkeys or the waterfall jump every other respawn which just made it extra frustrating, having no save right before the nigh-impossible sceen. Then you get through all that, only to die to some random erratic red guys just before you can save.
I just tried it and did it on my first attempt.

:D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:44:14 by Talps »

Offline pfrangip

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 17:05:40 »
x993y991-x991y990: The spike masher room is just... I mean look at it. There's no "safe zone" and I found myself believing it to be legitimately impossible the first two dozen times I did it. Plus I kept dying to the ninja-monkeys or the waterfall jump every other respawn which just made it extra frustrating, having no save right before the nigh-impossible sceen. Then you get through all that, only to die to some random erratic red guys just before you can save.
I just tried it and did it on my first attempt.

:D

Really? What is the appropriate strategy here? Can you upload a video of how you approach it? I think I just fumbled through it and eventually got lucky. I feel like there has to be some secret, because I just played through Dark Sea (a comparative walk in the park, really), and now I'm playing through Peppyhare4000's Salvation, which, while difficult, I don't think there's any single room I've encountered yet that I consider to be as difficult as that masher room.

If I ever finish my latest project, you might appreciate my eye-section.

Intriguing! Is that Liangzhu, or something else?

DonDoli did not find the secret ending on his playthrough. But he did find the secret that signposts the secrets that lead to the secret ending!

I may go back and try and find them, then. If my toddlers decide to have another screaming match, that is.

What if there was an area in my amazing first level where Juni inexplicably shrinks and goes inside a beehive?

You know what? I've come up with a sort of headcanon for why the keys are where they are.

Spoiler: the BEAST: ORIGINS (click to show/hide)

Well that ballooned into more than the two sentences I originally thought it would be. Maybe someday it will published in "The Coming of the Dark: Secret Origins!" graphic novel.  XD

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 17:16:16 by pfrangip »

Offline oriane

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 20:05:48 »
Oh gods I think I missed this secret before venturing into the quest... Surely that would have helped. :crazy:

Oriane, glad you had fun, too! (And nice username!)
Thanks again for your level! (And that's actually my first name! C))

Offline Talps

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 16:38:42 »
Very belated reply:

Pfrangip, it is a remake of Petals of a Dying Flower, in colour! I'm planning to post a preview soon.

I have never actually recorded myself playing a game. I should look into it. Any software recommendations? (Actually I have a vague feeling something might have come with my graphics card...) As it happens, re-reading your message after so long, I thought 'Huh, you know it was probably fluke'. So I just went and did it on my first attempt again.

I really love your backstory idea, so much so that now a tiny part of me wants to remake this level so that I can make it the plot! XD The only contradiction with my ideas for this was that I always considered the four worlds to be simulated environments created by the machine.

Looking forward to the graphic novel. :P

Oriane, in that case, nice first name! :D