Do I need to purchase Saira Twice?

• 7 Replies
Do I need to purchase Saira Twice?
« on: February 08, 2010, 14:11:51 »
Hi,

I want to buy Saira today for my PC, but I also want to transfer the copy to my new laptop when it arrives.

Will I need to purchase another copy for the new laptop? If yes, is it best to wait for the laptop and then purchase?

Awaiting reply,  :nuts:

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need to purchase Saira Twice?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 14:53:39 »
an answer that you probably would have been able to find with using the [search] would be Nifflas' quote that he's happy enough about people who even bother to buy a license, and that one license per household seems fair to him. (quoted rather liberally).
So briefly said: no, it's fine when you buy one license.

oh, I actually went on the big task and perform the search, these are the results.
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2641.msg30214#msg30214
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2258.msg25583#msg25583

woo.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 14:55:05 »
You can purchase it now and use the same serial code on both. Saira doesn't use online activation and can be installed in as many PC's as you want. The guideline is "one license per household", but install it at as many family members' computer as you want in the household, and it's also ok if you install it on your personal computer at e.g. your work.

I appreciate that you wish to support me and buy the game, so I want to show the appreciation by not restraining on which computers you can install the game on.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 15:09:00 »
Hi guys, that's awesome. very much appreciate your responses. thanks :)

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 20:37:09 »
[gush] Nifflas is a really positive, understanding and accepting individual, in my experience. It's worth noting he's not laced Saira with DRM and has no means to limit you from installing it on, even, your friends' PC's. He also seems to share my view of Steam (being that it makes the life of honest users a nightmare, while pirates can still find ways)
Saira is run as a (pretty much) purely honour-system, rather than a more typical piece of sold software. Nifflas is a very decent person, and I think that promotes (at least in his core fans) a feeling that he deserves to be treated with equal respect. One of the most common responses I've seen to Saira is, "It's not long enough that I feel it's worth the price, but considering how many games of his I've played and loved for free, it's a small price to pay..."

This is likely grossly misquoted, but I hope the underlying implication comes across. Nifflas has released (in my opinion) some of the most enduring indie games that have ever been coded (especially once you add in the fan-made elements) and asked nothing for them for that entire time. Heck, didn't even allow the possibility of reimbursing him for the (months..) of joy I, for example, had from KS.

There are, IIRC, two developers I respect as much as Nifflas' for their selflessness. It's a rare quality in any person, and in a person who provides you with enjoyment it's a blessing. [/gush]

I'm sorry... this is very emotive and I'm sure Nifflas himself will find it pretty uncomfortable, but I believe him to be a special sort of person, and would believe the same had I no more input from him than forum posts.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 22:42:08 »
..., and it's also ok if you install it on your personal computer at e.g. your work.

Its not okay if I install this at work. But that's more because my boss doesn't want me to play games... :nuts:
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 23:14:41 »
I don't have the same opinion about Steam today though. Sure, it comes with these optional features for copy protection but it's not required to use them. If having a build on Steam can increase the sales I will do my best to get it out on that too.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:13:02 »
That's alright Widget, kind developers are a treasure to the games industry. I bet Nifflas has a voice like Peter Molyneux, all kind and sweet sounding ^_^

I purchased the game. I cant wait to start playing more later