Having some unzip issues

• 8 Replies
Having some unzip issues
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:46:10 »
Hello,

Having a little trouble here. It's downloading ok, but the main .exe file will not unzip no matter what method I try.

I tried to get it to work on two separate computers with no luck. I was hoping that it could be on the websites end but from the looks of it no one else seems to be reporting it.

I don't have any trouble with any of the other games, just this one.

Any ideas?

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Re: Having some unzip issues
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:07:43 »
Just checked, and the download on this page is working and can be played.

Let's check a few things:

1. You did extract the whole zip file to a folder, right? You're not just trying to run the program from inside the zip?  Just making sure...
2. To make sure you have the right file, the zip file name should be Within a Deep Forest 114.zip.
3. To make sure it downloaded correctly, the file size in the Properties of the .zip file should be 21,179,369 bytes (about 20.1 MB).
4. It shouldn't be a problem now if it wasn't a problem before, but if you're running Vista/Win7 and are trying to extract to a folder in Program Files, you'll inevitably run into problems.  Make a folder for it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:10:32 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:55:37 »
Still not working for me.

1. Nope, the problem is that the .exe isn't unzipping at all. It's only the .exe file too, everything extracts without any issue.
2. Yah I tried re-downloading it from there and tried extracting in all into a folder on my desktop, then to a folder on an external hardrive.
3. According to google chrome the entire file size of 20.1 MB was downloaded. I tired in firefox too. No luck
4. I am running vista but I've been either trying to extract it in a file on my desktop or on an external hardrive. I really have no idea what the problem can be.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:59:25 »
Have you tried using something else than the cruddy windows extraction guide thing, like 7zip?
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 17:43:12 »
When you try to extract it does it give any error messages, or does the .exe just not appear? If it just doesn't appear, your virus protection might be to blame.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 21:13:18 »
I'm using winrar to unzip.

However, when I turned off my antivirus i was able to copy the .exe just fine. When I turned it back on though it deleted it. Funny how this is the only file that made it do this. At least the problem is identified now.

I use Trend btw. I hear around that Trend isn't to good to use anymore. Just renewed it not too long ago. Sad.

Thanks for all you helps guys.

Offline Gorfinhofin

• Totally Sane Storyteller
  • Bugbears are cool.
    • View Profile
    • My World Famous Grilled Let's Plays
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 14:16:45 »
Trend Micro? That is the same virus protection I used to have and I had this exact same problem! XD
It doesn't actually delete the .exe, it "quarantines" it. I honestly have no idea why it does that, because there's no way to tell it to stop, so the file is as useless as it would be if it were deleted, only it still takes up hard drive space.
I switched to avast!.

When something smells, it's usually my monitor.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 21:48:32 »
Wow, I never thought this day would come.  I've finally seen an AV with a more frustrating Quarantine than CA.

I did a little research, and it is possible to release a file from Trend's quarantine. It's just that there's no nice GUI that can do it for you.  The files are encrypted and located in the folder C:\TMQuarantine.  You can move files out, but first you'll need a tool that decrypts them.  Here's a page that tells what to do:

http://oit.ncsu.edu/antivirus/officescan-quarantined-files

Edit: I just realized that's for the network server version.  But hopefully it'll still work all the same, since I can't find any relevant articles for the home version.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 22:01:23 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 13:11:28 »
The difference between quarantine and deleting it, is that you can take it out of quarantine (somehow)

See if you can put your games folder to an exclusion list, then move the zip to that directory, and unpack there.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex