Are you good with creating level editors?

• 20 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Are you good with creating level editors?
« on: February 05, 2010, 18:02:04 »
If you are, then AWESOME! Okey, to explain the story, I've been working with pretty huge projects lately. I need a break from that, and have decided to do this small project that's only going to take a handful of months. In one way it's not a serious project (it doesn't try to be deep or mean anything) but in another way it is (It's going to be polished and have some very neat gameplay mechanics). I actually got approximately half of it done already but I'm not going to estimate a release date before I'm sure.

The game won't be free, but it will be available on PC very cheap, possibly sold as a "pay whatever you want" thing. The level format is very basic and simple, even a lot less complicated than Knytt Stories. I was planning to just release the game as it is since I want it to be simple, but then I thought, perhaps I should ask here if anyone's interested in creating a level editor for it? The level format only consists of .ini files (png and ogg files are used in the levels, but don't actually have to be displayed in the editor - I actually recommend against a graphical editor that displays the level content since that would take so much extra time, just one that displays the game scenery in form of rectangles would work just as well).

It's actually a pretty cool game that opens up for a lot of challenges that would never be possible in e.g. KS. If you're interested, I can give you access to what the game is currently like, and help you out explaining stuff if there's something that doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 18:18:13 by Nifflas »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Are you good with creating level editors?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 18:42:41 »
What language(s) or program(s) should we have if we're interested in this? I'm considering it. :3

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 18:52:50 »
Any that compiles to Windows is ok.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 19:46:12 »
How hard would you imagine the editor would be to create? I ask because I'm interested - but I can't make a level editor as complex as even the KS editor, (although you mentioned that it doesn't need to be that complex, so...) In other words, if it's pretty simple then I may be able to do it if given the opportunity, and I don't have a lot of projects going on at the moment (other than a fairly big Saira episode which I could put on hold; no big deal there). I have MMF2 (which you also state doesn't really matter, but if you needed help (or if I needed help) there wouldn't be many boundaries there). Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I'd love to be able to try. :)

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 19:53:17 »
Hm. Never made a level editor before, but this would be a great way to contribute to one of your games, while also getting C# experience. But obviously someone with experience in level editor creation would be better...

In any case, would it be okay if it required .NET?

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 23:29:10 »
I actually recommend against a graphical editor that displays the level content since that would take so much extra time, just one that displays the game scenery in form of rectangles would work just as well

From this, it sounds like making a level format that can be human-read and manually typed would be easier than coding an actual editor. 
The vaults in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup are an example of what I'm talking about, here's what one looks like:
Code: [Select]
NAME:   min_metal_thing
DEPTH:  D:12-20
MONS:   iron golem
NSUBST: ? = 1:= / *:v
MAP
xxxlllllllllllllllllxxx
xxxlvvvlvlvvvlvlvvvlxxx
xxxlv1vlvlv1vlvlv1vlxxx
llllv.vlvlv.vlvlv.vllll
lvvvv.v?v?v.v?v?v.vvvvl
lv1..*.....*.....*..1vl
lvvvv.v?v?v.v?v?v.vvvvl
llllv.vlvlv.vlvlv.vllll
xxxlv1vlvlv1vlvlv1vlxxx
xxxlvvvlvlvvvlvlvvvlxxx
xxxlllllllllllllllllxxx
ENDMAP

And in the tiles version of the game:

I hope this post made sense...

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 01:07:47 »
I can try giving it a shot, for sure.  Do you want me to send any past experience, or other such info?

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 01:41:42 »
I'm proficient with the ini object of MMF, sorry to say I don't know any languages besides HTML. If there's one thing I'm not very good at, though, it's designing interfaces. Do you already have an idea of what the editor would be like, or is it up in the air?
Lurk more.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 03:00:14 »
From this, it sounds like making a level format that can be human-read and manually typed would be easier than coding an actual editor.  
That's actually not true for this game. You still work in a few layers, objects have widths and heights specified in the editor, and strings can be assigned to object instances. It needs to be graphical in the sense that it needs to display rectangles and let you select an object to edit it's control string. It's not a very suitable level format for text file based editing.

Anyway, I still got to decide what I should do. It's not 100% certain I'll need help yet, I just wanted to check if anyone was up to it, which people obviously are. I'll let you know when I know! :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:02:02 by Nifflas »

Offline SingingSurger

• Dang, I get my shirt stretched out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 04:55:55 »
I wish I could make an editor. I'm okay with making custom sprites, but I can play a game, find a glitch, and tell you. I can then explain HOW to fix it. It's not hard. I've tested things for other people who make games. I tested An Untitled Story. Lol, no. I have tested some fun games these days though. I guess when it needs debugging, I can help.
Ah, look at all the lonely people.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 23:26:17 »
I'm no good at making level editors, but I'll just sit back and watch. :)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 12:48:04 »
Just a thought Nifflas,

If people can make this editor in MMF2 (which no doubt is possible) and they hand you the source, you can then refine it where necessary. Isn't that better?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 14:57:02 »
I'm not sure of anything yet. Right now I'm actually starting to leaning toward that perhaps I should do the editor too after all.

Anyway, at least you found out there's a new game comming ;)

Offline Saml

• now I've got a pie turtle too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 03:44:04 »
Hey! Hey! Pick me, teacher, pick me!

No, no, really. I could use some sort of "Objective" or other once in a while.

And I'm a-little-above-averagely-good with MMF2.
Not to mention I'm astoundingly humble, too. ;)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Now that stars are official, I can go wild down here! :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar: :hiddenstar:
Quote from: Nifflas
There are many things you can explode. Cats, paintings of fruit, Kaknästornet, factories...

Offline FlyingPigBoy

• Lord of the Swine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 07:22:01 »
Hey! Hey! Pick me, teacher, pick me!

No, no, really. I could use some sort of "Objective" or other once in a while.

And I'm a-little-above-averagely-good with MMF2.
Not to mention I'm astoundingly humble, too. ;)
Saml, don't be hasty... you have OTHER THINGS TO WORK ON...
only Saml knows what that means.

Spoiler: Thanks Saml! (click to show/hide)
My stars:
(embarrassingly empty)