MMF2, Puzzlers, and Lua Script (Idea)

• 3 Replies

Offline PizzaBoy

• View Profile
MMF2, Puzzlers, and Lua Script (Idea)
« on: February 04, 2010, 02:01:17 »
So I have developed an untested theory that might allow us to make puzzles/devices without MMF. There is an add on for MMF2 that allows Lua Scripts to be opened and executed. More info here and a download here.

Now, here is my idea: Someone creates a Puzzler app that gets all of its info, such as initial object set up and sprite/sound paths, from an ini file. It then loads an external Lua script (that we can edit) containing some common functions like init() and update().

So instead of us having to use MMF2 to create our puzzles, we can use this special Puzzler and set up inis and Lua Scripts instead.

This is just a theory, of course.

Re: MMF2, Puzzlers, and Lua Script (Idea)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 02:11:05 »
Sounds like a great idea. I've never even opened a lua code document, so I can't test this, though.
Lurk more.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:29:27 »
I am actually working on a lua-powered Puzzler. Progress is slow though, my main PC is broken.
You'll be able to load external graphics and all that, I still need to structure it and do some testing.
I already asked Nifflas about this and he's fine with it,
I'm just not sure if the effort is worth it since level editing is much tougher than in KS, ergo not many levels will be released (for now).

Looki said he was doing something like that.
Email him and see how its going.  Even if he's not working on it anymore, he might have some ideas.

Good luck.

Offline Looki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 22:42:37 »
If you do it, don't use that object guys. It's ancient and bad.
http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130483&page=1
Use this instead - there are 3 lua objects and this is by far the best (it's still supported and being developed as well).

EdudDiputs, thanks for quoting me! I think I stated somewhere else that I'm too busy right now.
It's a lot of work to do this, you know  :P
If someone needs help...sure, I'd love to help out.