[Exploration/Scavenger Hunt] Yume Nikki

• 28 Replies

Offline Rixanu

• Don't turn out the lights...
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
[Exploration/Scavenger Hunt] Yume Nikki
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:34:15 »
Description: Yume Nikki is an exploration game by Japanese developer Kikiyama. In the game, you play as a girl named Madotsuki. Madotsuki is a hikikomori (shut-in) who cannot go anywhere besides her apartment and accompanying balcony. However, she can go to sleep and explore the world of her dreams.

The goal of Yume Nikki is to explore Madotsuki's dreams and find 24 "effects", which have various effects on her appearance and abilities. These effects may be found simply lying around, or you may have to interact with an NPC or other object to obtain them. Once you've gathered all the effects, you can drop them off in the Nexus (AKA the door room), which will result in a change in the real world. I'm not going to spoil it, but this change is necessary to "end" the game. There is no dialogue in Yume Nikki, and no explained story. You have nothing but a vast dream world and your own imagination.

The dream world is vast, and you're likely to do a lot of wandering, as there is only one save point. This may be off-putting, but there is a lot to explore and discover, aside from the effects, and it's always exciting to run across something new. That said, this game is not for the impatient.

Madotsuki's dreams are...odd. The areas tend to have a surreal, creepy vibe to them, but there are nice areas are well. If you don't like creepy things, this game may not be for you. Nothing pops out at you in this game (except a certain secret), but the dreams will make you think "What's up with this girl?"

I highly suggest playing this game without walkthroughs, maps, etc. I ended up doing this a few times, and I feel that it tarnished the experience for me. Note, however, if you play this blind, you will most likely be playing it for a while.

Spoiler: Controls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Download: Here.

Edit: Madotsuki's Closet is a Yume Nikki fansite with lots of helpful information for those who need a hint, or would rather use a walkthrough. There is a list of all the effects, as well as some other interesting sights, without revealing their locations. There are also maps and walkthroughs for pretty much anything.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 21:52:55 by Rixanu »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: [Exploration/Scavenger Hunt] Yume Nikki
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:47:08 »
Cool concept. *downloads*
Edit: LOLWAT
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:51:17 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:15:01 »
At first I didn't notice
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
but now I know...

I enjoyed the game about a year ago, but couldn't get to the end without a walkthrough. It certainly is a unique game, but it feels somewhat unfinished (intentionally?).
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:21 »

!!!

I don`t really get it. How to pass the darkroom area?
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 15:55:40 »

!!!

I don`t really get it. How to pass the darkroom area?

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 17:42:55 »
Bababa but I have to pass the darkroomarea to reach some of the effects, you know.
It`s a nice concept but a bit to cunfusing over all. To find the way trough the blockland was too hard for example. It`s to luck-nased at all.
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 21:34:38 »
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 21:36:22 by kaizoman666 »
:hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:

Offline Rixanu

• View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 21:48:31 »
Bababa but I have to pass the darkroomarea to reach some of the effects, you know.
It`s a nice concept but a bit to cunfusing over all. To find the way trough the blockland was too hard for example. It`s to luck-nased at all.

Yeah, it can get irritating, but it's to get you to focus on the atmosphere. It's not about rushing to the end. If you want to explore everywhere, try setting landmarks, or making a map. I'll add a link to some helpful resources in the first post-in case playing blind isn't working out. However, I still think it's better to just explore.

At first I didn't notice
but now I know...

I enjoyed the game about a year ago, but couldn't get to the end without a walkthrough. It certainly is a unique game, but it feels somewhat unfinished (intentionally?).

I totally think it was intentional-to get the player to think, to come up with their own explanation for things. The nice thing about a game like this is people perceive things differently, and hearing the perceptions of others is a cool experience!

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 02:37:16 »
WTF. :nuts:

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:40 »
I totally think it was intentional-to get the player to think, to come up with their own explanation for things. The nice thing about a game like this is people perceive things differently, and hearing the perceptions of others is a cool experience!

I agree, but I wasn't referring to that.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 14:30:58 »

Yes, the game actually is still in a work in progress. The creator is actually trying to make the longest (and probably weirdest) games ever.

Offline Rixanu

• View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 23:08:09 »
Really? Where did you hear that? I'd always heard that things such as health and money were there because Kikiyama used RPG Maker 2003, even though he/she didn't intend to make an RPG. By the way, the money does have a use.
I thought the effects were just to add to the "dreamland" feel of the game, and to give the game a point, even though only a few of them have any actual use, gameplay-wise.

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 23:54:09 »
I wasn't talking about the health and money. I was talking about the version numbers.

Offline Rixanu

• View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 00:56:13 »
Gah, I can't communicate today. Sorry about that. I was actually responding to an inquiry by AA about the health and money. I was wondering how you knew the game was still in development. Even though it is in version 0.10, I just sorta assumed that it was "finished", since it hasn't been updated in almost four years now.

Offline kaizoman666

• I'm a flasher.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 21:30:41 »
since it hasn't been updated in almost four years now.
It has in Japan. I believe v0.4 is the most recent over there (though its in Japanese, so its even harder to understand whats going on).