Do people still care about knytt stories levels?

• 35 Replies

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: Do people still care about knytt stories levels?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 16:48:25 »
I care about KS levels! I recently got a new Windows PC (I had a Mac before) so I can play again. :)
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 23:15:04 »
Wow, people who have been around this community a while are spoiled.

Compared to, say, the Civilization 3 community (let's just not talk about Civ 4) Knytt Stories has a frankly ridiculous number of level releases still happening. With Civ 3 mods -- and really, the mods are what makes that game worth playing, despite the perfectly adequate versions of the game released by Firaxis, just as user-created levels are far more what brings people to KS than Nifflas's handful of KS levels -- even at their peak it was rare to get more than one good mod release in a month. Here we are two and a half years after KS came out, and between levels being uploaded to the archive directly and levels being announced here but uploaded elsewhere, there have to be at least a dozen levels coming out in an average month.

If there were multiple great levels coming out on a daily basis back in the day, I can understand how the current slower rate could seem disappointing by contrast. Still, it's not as though there are merely one or two diehard KS fans left creating levels solely for each other.

The forums aren't the only yardstick that should be used to judge interest, either. I found the level archive, and was selecting levels partly randomly and partly based on recommendations from other sites around the web, for a couple of weeks before I even realised there were levels here that weren't on the archive. The whole old forums/new forums issue is confusing for people who weren't around when the old site went down (myself included), and KS isn't the only or even main focus of the forums anyway, which may be part of why it doesn't come up in a Google search for 'Knytt Stories levels' -- maybe we ought to organise a googlebombing of the Level Releases forum with the link text 'Knytt Stories levels' or something similar, so that people who are looking for levels can actually find the forums?

Just recently a couple of art school (I'm guessing? There were no degrees in computer game design when I was growing up!) students visited the forum long enough to post a level they'd made as a school project. They'd plainly never visited the forums before, yet they were either familiar with KS already or had it given to them as part of their assignment. Possibly there's a whole world of KS players out there, trading levels they make with their siblings / cousins / neighbours / classmates / whatever and thinking they're the only ones who're doing it.

Just look at how often posts are read and commented on in the KS section of these forums, and you'll see your question was answered before you even posted it...

Edited to add:
Just to clarify what I meant by 'spoiled' -- NOT in the sense of a 'spoiled brat' but rather in the sense of, people who never have to worry where their next meal are coming from (which pretty much covers most people with regular internet access) are spoiled compared to people who will literally starve if they don't get that daily handout of a cup of rice in the U.N. refugee camp where they live. People who dine on caviar and wagyu beef filet mignon and pate de foie gras every day are spoiled compared to the first group also, but that's not the kind of spoiled I meant either... Basically I'm pointing out that whether this is an active community with lots of user contributions, or a quietly-dying one, is very much a matter of perspective.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 19:30:24 by the Jack »

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 23:20:20 »
the Jack, thanks for your post. Kind of made me realize the "spoiled" part X)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 13:54:36 »
Well I'm another noobie just off the boat, and I'm here because knytts story is exactly the kind of game i've been looking for, and I've been working hard on my own stage since I realized I could. 

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 14:33:53 »
This thread makes me a bit sad :sad:

I've been playing knytt stories for approx. 2 years and I honestly believe that it's the best platform game experience I have ever had C)p It will be quite some time before I stop caring.

EDIT: I have an idea for a rather large level that I started about a week ago. Seeing that it will probably take over a year to complete, should I stop?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 14:51:54 by bulbapuck »
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 16:37:59 »
EDIT: I have an idea for a rather large level that I started about a week ago. Seeing that it will probably take over a year to complete, should I stop?

No. Everything that's worth doing is worth doing even without an audience.

But there will be an audience. It may not be huge, but it will be there. At the very least, I should still be here, because I'm building a big, slow-to-grow level, too. ;-)

And, seriously, does the size of the audience you get for doing something really matter? I've always found it just as pleasurable, or even more pleasurable, to find just one or two people who got a real kick out of something I did, than a bigger, but usually more 'casual' audience. Or rather, as soon as I've found a couple of people who *really care* about something I've made, I feel it was worth it, and it doesn't matter that much anymore if many other people also find and enjoy my work.

(I wouldn't be able to keep writing, for instance, if I needed a big audience, as I'm both incredibly slow, and somewhat weird in my story preferences and ideas, so a big audience is something that just doesn't happen for me. Instead, I get the occasional reader who's genuinely moved to tears, or deeply disturbed by something I wrote; and that's enough.)

Offline bulbapuck

• One day hoping to become Venopuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 17:40:24 »
Thank you for your reply Hmpf! It's really inspiring to know that there are people like you out there :)

You bring up a very good point, I do enjoy working on the level and I don't think I really would have stopped even if noone had replied or if people had said yes.

When I wrote that edit I was just feeling reeeeaally uninspired by this thread. Though when I read through it a second time I stopped thinking about the people that had gotten bored and started to think about the people that still cared. That is also very inspiring ^^
Emma fell down a well - Enviromental KS level inspired by Salmoneous/Elder
Level in the works: Whitebow Island

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 21:40:59 »
I definitely agree with the last few posts.  I do think this is the best platform engine I've ever seen, especially since I usually don't like platform games!  As such, I think it will continue to attract an audience of like minded people for years to come.  And the more people pour their passion into it, the more people will eventually come.

Offline saba

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 23:37:16 »
I still regularly play new levels that are coming out. I made one level myself, but I'm not talented at it at all, so I'm afraid I'll have to remain a consumer instead of being a provider as well  :^^:

Offline grimwit

• I'm imagining a non-hypethetical world.
    • View Profile
    • Natch Evil Comic
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 19:51:36 »
Um...I'm a bit Noob'ish to the forum, but 've been colecting KS levels for the last couple'a years.

9_9  And when I make levels (which I have a few) I generally make them for myself.  I remember the old'en days when I was still in an institution for emotionally disturbed youths drawing my little platformer games and no way to make them.  Now I just make them for myself with the KS editor.

Just recently started releasing level for no other reason than they are what I would call 'Interesting,' and I hope others find them neat, too.

Still, without this community, I'd honestly still be making and downloading levels.

Yeah, we still care.

Um...Just my 0.02$
Forever working on a Level called Sarah.

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 04:00:30 »
Ahh so its not just me whos been thinking this!
It was roughly i think two years ago i became interested in knytt storiess. And by god knytt stories is the most amazing thing ever!
Out of all the indie platformers out there i still reckon this beats em all!
Of course those amazing levels like Dark Sky of Wish Mountain is not as numerous. (played it yesterday and now i remembered why i love KS)
But i guess levels have become quite similar... just need to wait for that amazing original level.. or something...

I just ramble! :awsum:

Hopefully my Empty Corridor won't be a bore and will interest some people!

Offline KG

• Perhaps.
    • View Profile
    • Kittens
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 21:32:21 »
I'm not sure but I think I still hold the record for level with most screens in it, and some time in the future I intend to make one even larger than that.
And, as can easily be imagined, these things take a lot of time.

But I'm fairly certain my levels are rarely similar to others.

I suspect many editors are similarly attempting to be ambitious in their levels, and thus are taking a lot of time to finish them (or they have given up, a case I've witnessed a few times). Patience is key for quality.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 21:34:53 by KG »

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 00:53:56 »
I still have a HUGE backlog of levels I haven't played yet, which is kinda embarrassing as I'm planning to become an LPer and play most of those levels on a semi-professional level for Youtube. I will still be here in a year from now if the forum is here. I will not forget my favorite indie platformer.

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:13 »
I'm not sure but I think I still hold the record for level with most screens in it, and some time in the future I intend to make one even larger than that.
And, as can easily be imagined, these things take a lot of time.

But I'm fairly certain my levels are rarely similar to others.

I suspect many editors are similarly attempting to be ambitious in their levels, and thus are taking a lot of time to finish them (or they have given up, a case I've witnessed a few times). Patience is key for quality.
Trust me your levels are definately ..... original!  :D

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 13:58:04 »
If you have any doubt that people care about knytt stories levels, just check the level competition thread.  :)