Do people still care about knytt stories levels?

• 35 Replies
Do people still care about knytt stories levels?
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:30:47 »
I am going to make my first public Knytt Stories level (which will take a while, as I am taking my time) and I want to know if people still are interested in it.

I'd also like to add that the level is story driven, not gameplay driven. There is a considerable amount of gameplay, but the focus is on the story.

Also, what are the greatest levels to look at for inspiration?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Do people still care about knytt stories levels?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:58:46 »
I am.

I have to admit that I haven't played much levels lately because I simply lack the time and most levels are kind of the same. So I usually only play levels if I have time and they're recommendations. I really do like the idea of playing a story that's actually story driven instead of just another gameplay driven story. I welcome gameplay driven stories when their gameplay is unique entirely or partially though.

As for recommendations... The beginning of my "The Explore Challenge" has a story (intro, and cutscene during the 4th screenshot) the rest is basically all gameplay.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:53:03 »
People don't play knytt stories so much anymore, me included. It has had it's time and these forums has lost alot of good level makers so it's pretty dead around knytt stories for now. Since the forum crash it's been much worse even.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:51:00 »
You can look at my level, "Colors" (watch it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaVWcuXJyAU), for a bit of inspiration regarding story-driven challenges. The story of the inhabitants of the island (including the "final boss", the elder), is deeply embedded in the game. There are hints on the events of the island, some foreshadowing, and the ability to make a meaningful decision (let the elder live or fight him*)

* Actually, the "compassion" ending was suggested by one player - players were able to empathize with the story of the final boss and wanted to do something else instead of fighting him.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 13:43:24 »
I know that I, for one, am still heavily interested.  This is probably because I'm new to the whole Knytt scene in general.  Sadly, I feel that KS can only hold the communities interest for so long, and I wish I would have arrived here earlier.  If only there was a way to make KS popular again, as it once was(new installment, new something).  However, for the time being, I'm still strongly interested.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 19:47:06 »
Knytt Stories isn't so much "dead", as it is the only free and finished Nifflas game that constantly has something new to play, therefore constantly giving it something new for the public eye. It's in more of a dry spell, as a lot of very good level makers have left or quit working on KS and only problem is finding new people who are strongly dedicated to making levels worth noting... or waiting for some older KS level "supergods" to create new astounding levels.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 03:31:34 »
'Course I'm still interested! I've only been into KS since, hm, the middle of last year or so!

I'm working on a huge level, too. And there's at least half a dozen levels currently being built by various people here that I'm really looking forward to. So these people *better* don't give up on KS, either! Or else... ;-)

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 05:11:49 »
I think the KS lost of interest is because some people are now more focused in Saira than KS. And the lost of the "Supergod" Farik dint exactly help  :/.

As for me. i quite losing the interest in KS level creation. but i still playing other peoples levels  ;).
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:19:43 »
I think the KS lost of interest is because some people are now more focused in Saira than KS. And the lost of the "Supergod" Farik dint exactly help  :/.
Farik doesn't have to be a "Supergod" when real life intervenes.
Lurk more.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 21:04:17 »
I've been losing interest lately, I confess, because many of the levels and ideas I consider wonderful received very little feedback. It was particularly shocking for me to see "Area of Radiation" cancelled because noone cared:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=1899.15
A (more or less) original visual style, nice challenges, a lot of work put into it and a lot of stuff promised... and well, it never got past the early beta stage since so few people showed any interest. Right now the same seems to be happening to Exp HP's Bit Knytt (), where there was a lot of enthusiasm at the beginning (some 10 people, no less! approving the project), but now that Exp HP needs a little bit more feedback, there's.. almost no reaction. I've recently beta-tested a large, beautiful, complex level that is yet to be released by its author, and it pains me to think it might attract only 4 or 5 replies.

Or here's a level I didn't particularly enjoy, but which still had a lot of work put into it, and some very original ideas:
http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=2062.0
Only 5 people commented, which isn't nearly enough... And I'm pretty sure dozens have played it. I host a few of my levels on my website and can see the stats; Moonlight was downloaded like a hundred times, but only 4 people commented. If that's the usual picture (I wouldn't know), then I guess a lot of people still care for KS levels... just not enough to support the people who make levels.

And as for reasons, well, Salmoneus and Silhouette have already nailed it.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 01:11:53 »
I'm not abandoning Bit Knytt because I don't think anyone cares.  And I don't plan to abandon it if nobody posts, either.  I'm not abandoning it at all.

I feel the need to explain:  I have a hard time controlling my priorities.  Other things are higher priority in my mind right now.  I have another KS level I'm working on.  I have an unfinished hold in DROD.  I'm trying to set up dual boot on my system.  Biggest of all, for almost the past year, I've been building an adventure game from the ground up in VB - that alone results in a daunting number of mini-projects, like how right now I'm trying to add syntax highlighting to gedit for an NPC scripting language used by the game.  These all are things - short term or long term - that right now are higher priority to me than Bit Knytt.

When I said it would help if people posted, I was more or less stating a truth of human behavior.  As it currently stands, Bit Knytt is not the first thing on my mind.  I don't think that much about it.  If it starts receiving attention from others, then I too will pay more attention to it.  I'll think more about it, and it will naturally "move up" in the list of things I'm working on.  And as a result, work on it may pick up once again.
But don't think I'm basing the future of Bit Knytt solely on whether or not people still care.  I'm just telling people that work on it has come to a standstill lately, and that if people really want me to work on it, they can influence me by posting.

I probably shouldn't have said anything, though.  The initial hype has died down.  People are unlikely to post, and even if they do, it won't be very genuine since, after all, I asked them to.  If I had some killer new screenies to show, of course there'd be more hype, but that will only happen once I actually start working on the level again.

I guess in the end, the only thing that post accomplished was to disappoint everyone who was looking forward to the level.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 10:53:21 »
I have, I found out about Knytt 2 days ago :)
It would be good if there was a levels archive with ratings and ability to sort by rating.

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 11:37:34 »
There's already a level archive which new version is being created - it will have all the feaures you mentioned, and much more :)

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 03:06:24 »
I dont think it has died i have just recently doing let's plays of the game.

Hey I have recently started doing let's plays for different stories for Knytt stories. if people are interested I will do a play though of any stories that you are creating. either give me an email with your game in it, or post it in the archive and send me a link. I will record myself playing though it give commentary and critics.

Here is my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/guywithcivilwarbeard

-Guywithcivilwarbeard