Why is there no "other free games" sub-forum?

• 30 Replies
Re: Why is there no "other free games" sub-forum?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 02:04:22 »
I agree with Rixanu, I like the old forum better. It had a debates board, other free games board and other fun stuff. ( like the shoutbox). :/

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 04:18:23 »
I agree with Mathexpert, who agrees with Rixanu, who agrees with Bloxmaster.
Lurk more.

Offline Mr. Monkey

• jolly good fellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 16:24:22 »
I agree with BloxMaster and Rixanu, but not with Mathexpert.  I believe the debates board and shoutbox are better gone, unless we, as a community, are able to be mature enough to have a proper debate.  The shoutbox is obsolete, even, considering the existence of an internet relay chat channel #niffchat on espernet.
o__  o

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 17:03:49 »
The shoutbox's only advantage over #niffchat was that you could see what people had said before you were there, but if you go into #niffchat you can get immediate feedback on something instead of posting it in a little box and waiting for a day or two.

I think the debate board was fine. None of the debates degenerated into flamewars, or went off-topic. (Actually, none of the debate topics ever had to be locked for any reason.)
good bye

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 17:20:18 »
...and the shout box took a shorter time to load. :P

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 15:10:48 »
People mention in this topic that they want the debates forum back. I'm curious though, do people want this back to have it back, or are they also going to use it?

The reason why we didn't readd it, was because we saw that before the crash occours, people were not debating that much anymore. There were no new requests for debates either.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

4a

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 17:44:47 »
People mention in this topic that they want the debates forum back. I'm curious though, do people want this back to have it back, or are they also going to use it?

Do people want food because it looks pretty or are they going to eat it? -_-
It seems obvious to me that if you have the debates forum back people are going to post in it. If even one person wants it back, and then posts in it if/when it returns, other people will inevitably follow.
Probably not so many people who come here are of the worldly experience or general technical knowledge to be so great at debating, but there will always be those who want to.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 17:52:26 »
But still... Both Paula and I saw alot of decreasement in activity because the topics that were discussed basically reached its point, and new topics weren't requested.

Just making a post is not going to happen here. If we indeed add the forum back, then we also need topics to debate about. If someone can tell me a topic to debate about, and that this person is willing to request it like it happened on the old forum, I don't mind adding the debates forum back. If not, I feel that I'm wasting precious time in adding the forum.

Adding the forum is not just pressing a few buttons, especially with the debates forum. I need to add a rules set, change permissions and once I get requests, I need to process them too. That is time consuming. Although I don't mind doing that if I know that people will use it.

Basically thats the question here. So is there someone that has a topic for a debate, and is that person ready to file in the request like we had on the old topic, post here.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

4a

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 17:56:23 »
XD "decreasement"...

Basically thats the question here. So is there someone that has a topic for a debate, and is that person ready to file in the request like we had on the old topic, post here.

...errr. Maybe you should make a new topic rather than say that, 'cause I think requesting debate topics would be off-topic in THIS topic. >.>

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 19:29:18 »
Requesting a topic will not be honoured if they're posted here, but for now I just ask if there are topics at all.

MODPlug Central Forum

4a

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 19:49:28 »
Requesting a topic will not be honoured if they're posted here, but for now I just ask if there are topics at all.

You could start a debate about whether or not there should be a debates board. XD

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 20:17:43 »
That would be awesome.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 20:50:01 »
I don't think it will have that much value over this.

Oh and as far as the other free games forum is concerned. I'm also prepared to readd that forum, but Paula and I will have to think of an addition to the rules to combat the problem we saw on the old form: spamming games just to spam.

MODPlug Central Forum

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 03:39:16 »
I don't think it will have that much value over this.

Oh and as far as the other free games forum is concerned. I'm also prepared to Read that forum, but Paula and I will have to think of an addition to the rules to combat the problem we saw on the old form: spamming games just to spam.

Now I'm not gonna argue much bout this because my arguing skills are quite low.

So your saying if we had certain Rules to prevent "spamming games"
you will put the "other games" thread up?
Because it would be a bit hard to make rules so that doesn't happen.
I mean you could have "finished games only" so that there are no betas
or......hmmmmm... this is quite tricky.. cause you could say platformer games only but rules
out brilliant games such as "dyson" and so on. But of course its not me who has to decide so i will just leave it up to you C)p

Oh the shoutbox was fun but you could see it going "spammy"

thats all i have to say

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 13:03:06 »
I still haven't seen any replies to indicate that we need a debates forum. The free games section will more be like: in order to post any game, there must be a description, link and image. Ofcource the game must also be freeware.

MODPlug Central Forum