Why is there no "other free games" sub-forum?

• 30 Replies

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Why is there no "other free games" sub-forum?
« on: March 15, 2009, 21:57:16 »
I just noticed this, and I'm curious...
Why don't we have an "other free games" sub-forum any more? We used to have one on the old forum, and I can see no reason to not have one.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Why is there no "other free games" sub-forum?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 22:02:16 »
I dunno. That'd be a good idea. Or just an "Other Games" thread in general. :/
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 22:05:52 »
Yeah, I really liked having it around.  I figured there was some reason for removing it, so I didn't complain, but now I'm all curious about it again.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 18:08:10 »
We removed it, and no, there won't be an off-topic forum either.

This still is a nifflas support forum. We removed it because it isn't necessary. There are plenty sites that offer this. We initially made that forum for people to share games they found that they were liking so much that they wanted to share it with others. Soon it became that people just posted there to post, not so much to post those great games. For that, you can also use the famous sites that already exist. It was a bit spammy. And as pointed out earlier, now we're more of a Nifflas support forum.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 16:21:58 »
Soon it became that people just posted there to post.

perhaps the people that posted the games liked them and wanted to share them with everyone else?

Not so much to post those great games.

So its up to you to say what games are good and bad? Everyone have different taste.

And as pointed out earlier, now we're more of a Nifflas support forum.

Yes, sure. But more people come here because its a forum they like, not to get support. It would be fun with an off-topic forum.

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 18:45:14 »
But more people come here because its a forum they like, not to get support.
I totally agree with that. I don't stay here because I need support. I stay here because it's a great community. I'd rather help and talk about things that might interest others on the forum. However, with the removal of the games section and the third party level areas, a lot of that is simply, non-existent. Going to another forum to do these things wouldn't be the same. I'm not really here to say that we need to have the free games section back, but I for one know a lot of games that I'd like to post about, but guess what? I can't. I know I'm not the only one disappointed about that. I know the forum is supposed to be more 'Nifflas' orientated now, but it wasn't like that before, and it changes what the forum is as a whole. I know we already have topics that you can express yourself in, but there are still a lot of boards I'd like to see again.

Soon it became that people just posted there to post.
This confuses me. Are you suggesting that you can't remove offtopic posts? That you didn't want to? That mods can't handle it? That you can't issue warnings? This happens with any forum, any board, so I fail to see how this effects your decision at all. It seems like you simply didn't want it because you didn't want to deal with it, which I hardly find fair. If that isn't what you meant, you should rephrase, or use another point than that one.

To sum it up here, I don't really like the forum as 'just' a support forum. It was never 'just' a support forum. But now it seems things are being removed that made it what it was, and I don't really like it. I admit that the games section wasn't a bit part of the forum, but it still feels empty without these things. :\

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:38:07 »
I agree. It's kinda boring to have a forum strictly for help and releasing stuff. Yeah, there's forumgames, but...*shrugs*
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:22:48 »
I don't really like the forum as 'just' a support forum. It was never 'just' a support forum. But now it seems things are being removed that made it what it was, and I don't really like it. I admit that the games section wasn't a bit part of the forum, but it still feels empty without these things. :\
I agree with Blox. While I don't mind the increased focus on the support part of the forums, the support-related activities are not frequent enough to rely on them alone to keep the community as vibrant and interesting as it used to be.

As it is now, I find myself spending less time on the new forums; there is just so little left to do. Whether the upcoming KS site will make a difference remains to be seen.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:12:05 »
On the old forum, the Other Free Games subforum wasn't ever really a nexus of community activity. All the activity happened in the Forumgames board, the Creativity-related Discussions board, the Development Showcase, and, later, the Debates board (all of which are here barring the Debates board), bound together by the Third Party Levels board (which is not). All that's there is the preview board, but it doesn't really allow room for actual discussion of levels, as levels cannot be posted there.

The forum is listless because it's missing its most consistently active subforum, and even when the new Archive is ready, I'm not sure that activity will return to the forum- it might return to just the Archive, and not carry over to the rest of the forum.
good bye

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:03:56 »
I agree with blox above. Oh, and by the way, cant we at least have a simple forum to post levels in till the archive comes? Just a single board, and make it read-only when the archive opens.

4a

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 15:36:51 »
I think Googoogjoob makes a pretty valid point.
The third party levels for KS is really what a lot of people went to the old forum for (at least it seemed that way to me) and since it's not here now the forum's half-dead. <_<
The other free games I never even looked at so I dunno about that, really, but I don't think the forum needs to only be about Nifflas. He might even agree; the idea of a forum only about one person makes the person seem really arrogant or something. I mean, he's cool I bet but he's still just a person--not some kind of god (and even then, I'd feel the same way). 9_9
Another thing, this doesn't feel like a Nifflas support forum to me. How are we supporting Nifflas, exactly? I never even met the guy (cyberspatially or otherwise), so it's not like I am able to even say "Hey, I support you making games and whatever else you do." But whatever that's just me.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 16:34:19 »
The forum is listless because it's missing its most consistently active subforum, and even when the new Archive is ready, I'm not sure that activity will return to the forum- it might return to just the Archive, and not carry over to the rest of the forum.

And this is one of the three reasons I'm against the idea of the archive.

4a, I believe that's supposed to reflect technical support - say someone can't get WaDF to run, they could post here and people could tell them how to get it to run (that sort of stuff doesn't actually seem to happen much).  Or support with getting past hard parts of a game.  I don't think it really reflects support to Nifflas, even if it should.

However, that doesn't really mean much...

4a

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 16:37:23 »
4a, I believe that's supposed to reflect technical support - say someone can't get WaDF to run, they could post here and people could tell them how to get it to run (that sort of stuff doesn't actually seem to happen much).  Or support with getting past hard parts of a game.  I don't think it really reflects support to Nifflas, even if it should.

However, that doesn't really mean much...

...oh, well, that's just plain boring, then.

Offline Rixanu

• Don't turn out the lights...
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 16:10:34 »
I also agree with BloxMaster. I find that the forum is just less interesting without some of the boards we had before. Indeed, I did come here for support, but I stayed because I enjoyed the community here. I find myself visiting here less and less since the new forum came up, and I've also seen a noticeable decrease in forum activity since the change. I liked the way the old forum was run. I really think we should be allowed to talk about other things besides game support.