NightSky has been *blatantly* cloned for the iPhone

• 61 Replies
Re: NightSky has been *blatantly* cloned for the iPhone
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 04:57:38 »
It's hard to accuse Trundle of being a blatant clone of NightSky, considering that most of us haven't played NightSky. If NightSky had been released prior to Trundle, I could see the clone case being made then.

If Trundle turns out to be an almost exact clone of NightSky, then I would actually consider playing it; it's the closest I'm going to get towards playing NightSky, which nifflas apparently isn't permitted to give us any details (like release date) about, but doesn't sound like it's coming out soon.
I have to agree with this. As of right now, I'm beginning to doubt I'll ever get NightSky because of how long it's been since we even got a clue as to what was going on.

If someone ripped off Duke Nuke 'Em Forever I doubt anyone would be against it since the game it ripped off is never coming out.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 12:05:01 »
I have to agree with this. As of right now, I'm beginning to doubt I'll ever get NightSky because of how long it's been since we even got a clue as to what was going on.
Except Nifflas has said a number of times that NS is coming out.

And I have to disagree about not being able to call it a rippoff.
Night Sky is a physics based platformer with a silhouetted graphical style, in which the main character is a ball.
Trundle is a physics based platformer with a silhouetted graphical style, in which the main character is a ball.
The graphical style isn't just similar, its essentially the same. And there is an emphasis on atmosphere. And there is also a windmill.

Not to mention that the creators of Trundle have made cheap knockoffs of several other games.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 21:49:27 »
It's hard to accuse Trundle of being a blatant clone of NightSky, considering that most of us haven't played NightSky. If NightSky had been released prior to Trundle, I could see the clone case being made then.

If Trundle turns out to be an almost exact clone of NightSky, then I would actually consider playing it; it's the closest I'm going to get towards playing NightSky, which nifflas apparently isn't permitted to give us any details (like release date) about, but doesn't sound like it's coming out soon.

And I begin to wonder if you are saying this because you dont think it will come out, or if you dont have a wii..

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 00:05:01 »
And I begin to wonder if you are saying this because you dont think it will come out, or if you dont have a wii..

I own a Wii. I just bought the newly released Megaman 10 DLC yesterday.

Consider:
NightSky was Nicalis' first announced game.
Cave Story was announced, and released.
La-Mulana announced, and featured prominently on their site, while NightSky is barely mentioned.
If it's coming out, they're doing their best to hide that fact.

If NightSky does come out, let's hope it's less buggy than Nicalis' other releases.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 00:37:59 »
it has been said many times though that NS was to be released sometime after Cave Story, so we now know that its just a matter of time before it comes out. NS has also been in Nintendo Power if I remember correctly(was in a magazine of some sort) so that's also good to note.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 06:25:21 »
If NightSky does come out, let's hope it's less buggy than Nicalis' other releases.
Why, you think cave story had bugs? did you download it? I did, and i really liked it for $12 us dollars. Sure, I think nicalis takes a VERY long time to make games and make a bunch of fake release dates, but the games are actually really good. The "downloadable content" was pleasantly free ( no need to download it) , and I really think curly story was as fun as hell. So what do you mean by buggy?

it has been said many times though that NS was to be released sometime after Cave Story, so we now know that its just a matter of time before it comes out. NS has also been in Nintendo Power if I remember correctly(was in a magazine of some sort) so that's also good to note.

Yes, I have a subscription to nintendo power, and cave story, nightsky, and la mulana all have been in it. And for nightsky, several times too, like 2-4 times. I really doubt that nightsky is dead or is never going to come out, just that the news about it has been low and long release date. When did nifflas announce night game anyway? 2 years?

*feels good to say night game for some reason*
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:30:37 by Mathexpert »

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 13:53:37 »
Why, you think cave story had bugs? did you download it? I did, and i really liked it for $12 us dollars. Sure, I think nicalis takes a VERY long time to make games and make a bunch of fake release dates, but the games are actually really good. The "downloadable content" was pleasantly free ( no need to download it) , and I really think curly story was as fun as hell. So what do you mean by buggy?

List of bugs and review demonstrating translation and grammar errors.

I'm surprised that, for a game that had its implied release date pushed back so many times, Cave Story was released with so many problems.
good bye

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 00:30:55 »
based on how buggy Cave Story is for the Wii, I really don't have high hopes for NightSky being any less buggy. as much as I'd love to see it be all it was supposed to be, it might turn out to be buggy as all get out like cave story.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2010, 20:49:03 »
If anyone doesn't know, newgrounds also has a pretty well made ripoff. (if you want to call it that) It's here.
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2010, 21:13:04 »
If anyone doesn't know, newgrounds also has a pretty well made ripoff. (if you want to call it that) It's here.
Huh? That isn't much of a ripoff.
It's a puzzle game with a silhouetted graphical style, but it isn't more than that. The main character isn't even a ball.
(Sure, it's spherical, but it looks just as much like a UFO than it looks like the NS ball.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 16:10:55 by Razzorman »
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline Yukabacera

• Tasen Soldier (LL868:ALDK)
    • View Profile
    • The Yukabacera Files
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2010, 19:17:56 »
I love how all you've seen is a couple of screenshots and preview videos, and you're already finding clones and ripoffs everywhere. What, a game has a ball as a main character? Or dare I say it, it uses SILHOUETTE-LIKE GRAPHICS? What, did Nifflas copyright those two? I agree the iPhone thing is a clone, but the Newgrounds one? Hah.

=|=
:hiddenstar: My only one.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2010, 20:09:43 »
Yeah, saying this one on Newgrounds is a copy is too much of a stretch. :P

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 03:18:20 »
It's a Nightsky rip-off. Amazing how little they decided to move from the original idea. Creative wastelanders I guess.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 07:04:52 »
I don't know what I was on when I posted that, but I agree with the more logical side. Sure they're similar, but not too similar. And now that I replay the Newgrounds one, I like it and have actually played it on several occasions for fun. But, Night Sky will be loads better. :)
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2010, 06:58:04 »
I don't know if I'm the first to notice this, but..
The creature is copied as well.
On the nicalis night game website, there is a little creature with white eyes. It also appears in two trundle screenshots on the app store..

The game is actually 2$ now..

Does anyone know an answer to the following?
I am quite certain apple has more protective rights than nicalis does..
When night game is published, could it be removed and claimed to be a copy of trundle?