NightSky has been *blatantly* cloned for the iPhone

• 61 Replies

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: NightSky has been *blatantly* cloned for the iPhone
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 00:25:41 »
It is free, but they are certainly getting paid by Apple, like, for example, Armor Games distributes free flash games, but the developers are paid. 

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 00:37:33 »
i don't know about the above, but i'm sure i read somewhere that they would be making more trundle stuff that you will have to pay for. the free version is just the hook, so to speak.

i really hope these guys get what's coming to them. i think it's funny on their website they actually list a few games that "influenced" trundle. nice try guys, very funny.

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 16:56:58 »
Quote from: Mobile Bros site
Recently we released a free game for the iphone named Trundle. Most of the feedback we received was positive, however there were a lot of people who felt that Trundle looked too much like an unreleased game coming to the Wii called Night Sky. By some form of coincidence, both games decided to use a ball protagonist against shadowy levels; because of this we feel that it would be better to differentiate our character a bit more and try to eliminate any similar level elements from Trundle.

Feckin douchebags. They are full of crap.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 17:22:36 »
i really hope these guys get what's coming to them. i think it's funny on their website they actually list a few games that "influenced" trundle. nice try guys, very funny.
Feckin douchebags. They are full of crap.

Guys, its not a good idea to say things like this. A topic like this can actually pursue these guys to go rip off more games. (yes, psychology works in strange ways sometimes).

If there can't be a normal discussion, I'm forced to lock the topic. The point has already been made and it doesn't actually need to be open to serve a point. Don't make me require the topic to be locked. It would be a shame.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 17:24:44 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 00:30:08 »
Looks like we started something. And also brought to light their other ripoffs. Let's sue them to pieces! :D
But seriously, I think they will have to remove like, ALL their games, or they will get in court. We will just have to flame some more.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 03:17:55 »
Well things like this happen all the time though. Lots of companies copy the themes and ideas of commercial games. It's very difficult to find an original thought these days...
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 08:03:03 »
It's very difficult to find an original thought these days...
Too true............
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:50 »
Yea, just look at any FPS game, lol.

But seriously, Mobile Bros are waay over the limit of acceptableness and deep into the realm of ohlookitotallyclonedothersgamesclaimingthemtobemyownandmakingaprofitfromthemandthencomingupwithbadexcusesanddivertingattention.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 09:48:56 »
Just a heads-up: Trundle has just popped up at Casual Gameplay.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 16:11:00 »
Just a heads-up: Trundle has just popped up at Casual Gameplay.

...I'd swear, but it would probably be edited out.

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 09:44:26 »
the character is now a gear!  X) XD

people are already complaining about the update  :P

but noone has told them the reason of it yet, so no free publicity  :ohnoes:

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 20:56:59 »
Oh so it's a "gear" now? Or is that just a BALL WITH SQUARES ON THE SIDES!!!!!!!!!?????????? It's such a blatant ripoff it makes even ME sick!! And to make things even better it's on the IPHONE!!!!!! FOR FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAAAAAAAH!!!!!!! :nuts:

[mod]Removed smiley spam.[/mod]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 00:05:16 by googoogjoob »
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 23:07:13 »
Quote from: Mathexpert link=topic=2643.msg30744#msg30744
I dont exactly like the company, But I want to point out that trundle is free, so I really dont understand this...

the thing is people will download and play this game, and then when NightSky comes out on the Wii they will be like I'm not paying for something I've already got.

[mod]Fixed broken quote tags.[/mod]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 00:05:37 by googoogjoob »
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

Offline Klaymen

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 14:13:28 »
These are cheap hacks who want to make a quick buck off the App Store.

I dont exactly like the company, But I want to point out that trundle is free, so I really dont understand this...

They're making money through in-game microtransactions for extra content, so you can consider the "free" game kind of like a demo, to hook people in to buying the extra levels.

I have to say, after having just downloaded this and played for a bit, it does feel like a shameless copy of NightSky. The silhouettes, the sunset in the background, the ambient music, physics based gameplay with a ball rolling around. Even the curly trees which move around like they're alive, which can be seen at the ~20 second mark in the NightSky trailer. I have also been lucky enough to play NightSky at an art Gallery in Melbourne, and there are no significant gameplay differences (other than NightSky's being infinitely more refined, and far greater music).

I really think Nifflas should pursue this legally because his work is being copied, money being made with his ideas.

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 04:41:13 »
It's hard to accuse Trundle of being a blatant clone of NightSky, considering that most of us haven't played NightSky. If NightSky had been released prior to Trundle, I could see the clone case being made then.

If Trundle turns out to be an almost exact clone of NightSky, then I would actually consider playing it; it's the closest I'm going to get towards playing NightSky, which nifflas apparently isn't permitted to give us any details (like release date) about, but doesn't sound like it's coming out soon.