NightSky has been *blatantly* cloned for the iPhone

• 61 Replies

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Or we could always ask the developers of Trundle to include a mention of NightSky.... Maybe not...
Actually, since you'll have to pay for NightSky, the guy that made Trundle would need to become affiliated with Nifflas, or get rid of the game entirely. Well, I doubt the former would be very possible, huh? ;)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

Offline GregWS

• View Profile
Re: NightSky has been *blatantly* cloned for the iPhone
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 04:08:30 »
Honestly, it's quite easy to have something of questionable legality pulled from the App Store; I don't even think lawyers need to be involved in any way.  Just getting it taken down asap and acting like it never happened is probably the best move Nicalis can make right now.

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 05:49:04 »
Acting like something never happened ... now that i something NiCALIS IS good at... :shifty:
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline J

• Information leaking
  • I have a chicken on my head.
    • View Profile
    • Greywool
Acting like something never happened ... now that i something NiCALIS IS good at... :shifty:
How about doing something in the first place, eh? X)

All I will say is I look forward to downloading this game. There is only one reason for this, and that is the fact that I belong to nifflas support forum. Night Game has been in the works for a little over a year, maybe more. There is really no possibility that this is not copied, and, affiliation aside, I don't think you realize that you aren't stealing some guys game, you're stealing freeware from Nintendo.
I don't think you were very careful when scanning for legalities, because if you were you would notice that Nintendo Freeware is protected by nintendo. Therefore, I am looking foreward to the legal result.

That had me puzzled slightly. Night Game/Sky became freeware at some point? ;) I think/hope you meant Wiiware. :P

Although, could this possibly be helpful for Night Sky?
I mean, people play the free version of this and are like, "Man this was cool. It was a lot like that Night Sky game... I think I'll go buy it".
But will the people who've played Trundle be overjoyed or annoyed that NG/S doesn't play anything like their loved Trundle did?
From what I can tell of Trundle, looks like the dev(s?) checked the first screenshots, got into work, tried to make the game look and behave like they thought NG/S would. But without seeing the game in motion, was no verifiable way to tell how NG/S would control. ;)

And as far as I can tell, when Nifflas dropped the screenshots in the early days, he did quite nicely ask people not to make KS levels with NG-esque tilesets before the game was released. I think a level may've been removed and had changes made to it to remove those parts too. I can't see how this'd be any different.

In a nutshell, people can easily tell the "coincidental" similarity between the game styles, believe they're related. As JC Grim mentioned, it might help NG/S by.. well, what he said. BUT. It'll give people expectations of Niff's game and those expectations will be unvariably false. :)

But, doing something about it should be left for Nicalis, who owns the game. Nothing us folks can do about it. Anyone else making threats at 'em (apart from official Nicalis personnel) wouldn't really be helping the cause.
"flipping around like an idiot" -- Paula

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
But, doing something about it should be left for Nicalis, who owns the game. Nothing us folks can do about it. Anyone else making threats at 'em (apart from official Nicalis personnel) wouldn't really be helping the cause.

You are quite correct, NICALiS are probably the only one entitled to do all the legal S***. I probably shouldn't have bothered, but I have sent an e-mail to the contact address for NICALiS listed on their website (info[at]nicalis.com) outlining my concerns of the breach of copyright between the two programs. now we (hobefully) sit back and let them fight it out.

I do hope this all turns out well, which ever way that may turn out to be.
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.

Offline lilmanjs16

• Its time for some Pixies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 01:31:24 »
whatever happens, you can tell this game is a blatant clone/rip-off of what the devs thought nightsky would be like.
we all love each other. and thanks to those who like my dj mixes, it makes me happy:hiddenstar: thanks AClockworkLemon! makes me feel proud

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 01:37:57 »
so... wheres nifflas's comment? or has he not seen this yet?

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 03:00:14 »
Actually, that's good news (Nifflas not commenting on this in public). It could indicate that possibly there are legal actions on the way. :)

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 08:16:23 »
I just hate rip-off's and when they rip off everything from a game, that's just pathetic and sad.

Edit: *goes over and see comments.* What a sack of complete idiots.

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 00:10:34 »
Well, it looks like it's been pulled off the App Store.
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 00:35:45 »
Yeah, they said on their website that they had pulled it so as to change the levels so they were less NightSky-ish

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 13:46:14 »
I like how evasive the company's website is:

Quote from: Mobile Bros site
Recently we released a free game for the iphone named Trundle. Most of the feedback we received was positive, however there were a lot of people who felt that Trundle looked too much like an unreleased game coming to the Wii called Night Sky. By some form of coincidence, both games decided to use a ball protagonist against shadowy levels; because of this we feel that it would be better to differentiate our character a bit more and try to eliminate any similar level elements from Trundle.

If you look in their games section, you can find a blatant Peggle ripoff and a blatant Auditorium ripoff.

These guys aren't innocent developers who accidentally made a game similar to Night Sky. These are cheap hacks who want to make a quick buck off the App Store.
good bye

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 23:59:21 »
If you look in their games section, you can find a blatant Peggle ripoff and a blatant Auditorium ripoff.
What the...!?

So Trundle isn't the first.  They have a legacy of rip-offs like this.  How they ever expected to get away with Trundle is a mystery to me.

Now I regret giving them my support on their site.  You guys were right; they are thieves.  Intellectual property thieves.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 00:19:11 »
These are cheap hacks who want to make a quick buck off the App Store.

I dont exactly like the company, But I want to point out that trundle is free, so I really dont understand this...