The Object Compendium

• 34 Replies

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
Re: The Object Compendium
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 21:11:27 »
The floating baby is basically the finish line in A Strange Dream, so I'm guessing that's why it's in there. I don't think it's been used for anything else, ever.

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 18:25:33 »
I (with nothing better to do) have made a list of creatures in bank 10 that I thought you might use:

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

hope you like it  :)
and thanks for the object compendium, it's really useful ;)

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 01:53:04 »
I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop. :crazy:

Thanks jimj316 for that list.  I haven't done any work at all on bank 10 yet, so that gives me a great start.  I'll format the list to work with the rest of the guide and I'll add the section some time after the upcoming site maintenance.  I'll add you to the credits when I do.

If anybody wants to help, here are some more sections that I don't plan on doing for a while:
Bank 11 - Disks (11 objects (but one doesn't exist)) ✔ Thanks, the Jack!
Bank 14 - Earth Beings (24 objects)
Bank 17 - Creepy (12 objects)
If you want to make a section, some details I would like to have are: Which ones are enemies & how do they attack, and for the ones that aren't enemies, how do they respond to the player?

Also, it'd really help me if somebody could just sort the objects in these banks into groups of similar-looking beings.
Bank 2 - Flyers (32 objects)
Bank 4 - Meanies (22 objects)
Having these banks already sorted would make them a lot less intimidating for me to work on.

I definitely plan on doing Banks 2 (Flyers), 4 (Meanies), 7 (Nature FX), 8 (Decoration), and 18 (Water Beings).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 23:47:31 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 06:43:32 »
Bounces up & down, getting higher on each bounce. Jump height resets every five jumps for Blue (no. 1), and every four jumps for Green (no. 8).
Use this:
Code: [Select]
...Green (no. 8[i][/i]).

Random Bouncer
Bounces up & down at a random height each time.
Wrong image. :P

Note to self: Fix the transparencies already.
Lurk more.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 07:20:15 »
I was debating whether or not I would turn off smilies in the post.  I remember deciding that I would just do, well, pretty much your suggestion there (put tags in it) to fix it.  And I remember doing just that.  So I'm confused at how that's there right now (didn't save that edit?), but I'll do it again.
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 18:11:58 »
Quote from: The First Post
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:26:04 by Exp HP »

Man I'm lazy.  I really should start finishing this thing up...
Well, this and that I can hear you level that I don't really like.

I'll start doing Nature FX and Decorations ASAP.
Edit Feb 8: Okay, I lied.  Now I'll do it ASAP.
Edit Feb 10: Okay, I lied again.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:36:50 by Exp HP »

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 13:06:56 »
Well, as someone relatively new to KS -- both as a player and a would-be level creator fumbling my way through learning to use the editor -- this is unbelievably useful to me. Sure, each screen will still need to be checked even with the listings to refer to, but the Compendium is going to both save me a lot of additional trial and error, and also give me ideas.

As a show of my appreciation, here's a breakdown of Bank 11, Disks:

Probably I'll do the similarity-sorting for bank 2 and/or 4 next -- give other people a chance to do a bank if they want. That was fun and edumacational to do! Thanks again for doing the bulk of the work, and for giving us the impetus to chip in.

[mod]removed unneeded colour formatting tags[/mod]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 14:44:11 by Miss Paula »

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 20:28:22 »
 :crazy: UNBELIEVABLY USEFUL!!! Thanks! PS I hear you level? Do you have a beta of that or are you just going to release it when it's done?
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 23:08:25 »
As a show of my appreciation, here's a breakdown of Bank 11, Disks:
Excellent!  I'll format, tweak it, and get it into the guide.

(I hadn't even noticed, despite my exploration of and experimentation with the KS Editor, that Saucer #11 has a deployment issue before Exp HP pointed that out. Do we know what happened, there, or is it A Mystery?)
To my knowledge, other than the icon for it in the \Data\Objects folder (which the editor gets object icons from), there is no trace in the game of object 11-11.  Either the object was removed before the release of the game, or it was simply never implemented.
Nifflas explained it on the old forum, but that has been offline for a while.

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 20:49:51 »
I got something like halfway through these before I remembered I was only supposed to sort the critters by similarity of appearance. Oops? There's some details I couldn't figure out for some of them (highlighted in blue for your convenience) which should probably go into the Compendium, though, so this section isn't quite all done now.

Bank 2: Flyers

If you want me to just group Bank 4 by appearance, I can probably knock that out tonight (it's about 2:30pm my time now) or I can take a little more time and do it like I did this one. Whichever is more helpful for you.  :nuts:

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline RunMan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 21:17:59 »
#3 is black, #4 is red :)

About #20 and #21 timing. I am not pretty sure, but I think that they stay a little longer on the wall, which is opposite to the starting wall - it's about 2,5 seconds. On the starting wall they stay about 2 seconds.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 04:30:17 »
I won't work on adding Bank 2 right now, but I'll work from your data when I do.

I'll explain why I want them sorted.  The order is surely an aspect of importance in the compendium; a big part of the compendium is telling the difference between similar-looking objects.  If there are objects that are easily confused with each other and that need comparison, the compendium should compare them.

As for why I'm asking for somebody else to do it... well, that's a personal issue.
Coming from anyone other than me, such a statement would normally mean I don't want to go any further into detail, but I'm no good at practicing discretion, so what do you know, I spent an hour explaining it, anyways:
Spoiler: Explanation (click to show/hide)
So, well, there you go.

Edit:
*Its movement pattern is tricky to describe, but I could easily make a graphic representation in Photoshopped -- well, GIMPed -- screenshot form... if I'll be able to upload the image all right? I know many boards disable image upload or even linking for users by default, not sure how that works here...
If you want to share a picture, the form for attaching files is tucked away a menu in the Post Reply page.  Images have to be PNG, GIF, or JPG.
Alternatively, you can upload it to any image hosting site like tinypic.com or imgur.com and embed it in your post with [img] tags.  Actually, I think that's better than attaching it in most cases.
Both are allowed.  Here's a link to the Official Forum Rules, if you'd like to take a gander at them. ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:48:27 by Exp HP »

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 05:52:58 »
Is this still goin' on 'n stuff? ExpHP hasn't been on for two months.
Lurk more.

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 20:34:29 »
If there was some way of editing Exp HP's post, I would be happy to finish this.

@admins: is it possible for you to edit other's posts? And is it allowed?

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 23:02:53 »
I was just thinking it would be nice if this could be finished. I directed someone with a question here the other day, and I didn't check to make sure it could actually help them.