The Level Editor lets me place objects, but are invisible during gameplay!

• 22 Replies

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
I can make my own objects quite easily, (most are not animated) but when i place them they don't show up at all! (i use old school windows xp paint to make them, for i am poor)
Many a hand has scaled the grand old face of the plateau,
Some belong to strangers and some to folks you know,
Holy ghosts and talk show hosts are planted in the sand,
To beautify the foothills and shake the many hands.
-The Meat Puppets

Nice try. You can't make your own objects by simply adding them to the data folder. If you want stationary drawings to appear, use custom objects.
Lurk more.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
i've done just that though!!
-The Meat Puppets

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Well, assuming the images are in PNG format and in the Custom Objects folder, you also need to add lines to World.ini.

Namely, name, init animspeed, and init animto.
Lurk more.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
not so long ago i made a small question mark block (like in super mario bros.) and a mushroom without writing any lines, and both worked, could it have been because i was using version 1.0.4?
-The Meat Puppets

It might have been because you weren't using v1.0.4. The COs didn't show up until 1.2
Lurk more.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
could be, thanks I'll check which version I'm using.
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Evil

• View Profile
youll also have to go to bank number 255 and place the square to the screen to make it appear sometimes

(sorry, I made that mistake back when I had ks :( )

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
You gotta have the newest version of KS (don't know, offhand, but I thnk it's x.x.12, or something like that). Also, you have to put things in the .ini file. There's tutorials everywhere on this site.

Also, THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE HIGHLANDER PUMPKIN!
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
haha i am pumpkin! not some pumpkindroid or android. I'm the real deal! scythes and all! (lol) i'm retarded where exactly is the .ini file?
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
haha i am pumpkin! not some pumpkindroid or android. I'm the real deal! scythes and all! (lol) i'm retarded where exactly is the .ini file?
.../Knytt Stories/Worlds/Your Level - Your Name/World.ini :P
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Or, in the editor, Menu bar > Level > Settings
Lurk more.

Offline pumpkin

• Breton Blunt Conjurer
    • View Profile
any tips on how to use paint or is it even possible? Actually I know its possible i just dont remember exactly how i did it when i got it right. :huh:
-The Meat Puppets

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Custom objects can be made in Paint.  I do it all the time.  Some tips:

• I only recommend Paint if the object is not animated, or if bits of it touch each side of the frame.  This is because there is no variable size grid in Paint. If there is a very thick border or lots of one color surrounding the object on at least one side, you may find yourself having to count pixels to make sure everything is in the right place.
  • Paint XP has a 10x zoom, but it's a secret. Click on the magnifying glass to show the zoom options, and then click on the very bottom of the list with all the zooms listed. If you get 8x zoom instead of 10x zoom, that means you didn't click low enough; keep trying.
  • You can easily copy something by selecting it and holding the Ctrl key as you drag it.
  • Black is transparent.  Unless your CO has rounded edges
  • Remember that because black is transparent in the game, anything that is black will not show up.  If there is something you want to show up as black in your Custom Object, create a color that is close to black (double click on a color, go to custom, and put a small number like 5 in for red, green, and blue)
  • Your image must be a PNG and saved in the Custom Objects folder in your world folder.
  • If your Custom Object is not exactly 24x24 pixels in size, then you need to define Tile Width and Tile Height in World.ini.  Also, if it's longer than one frame, I think you need to define Init AnimTo before it will animate.

If it is still not showing up in the game, please attach World.ini and one of your images to a post here so we can see what you're doing and tell you what you need to do to get it to work.

Again, making animated Custom Objects in Paint is relatively easy to mess up in part due to frame sizes.  If you Here's the best way to do it, IMO:
Paint is a limited program, so I recommend you consider learning how to use other free image editing tools, such as GIMP.  Not only do such programs make it easy to do complicated tasks like blurring and recoloring, but many also let you use layers.  Also, you get to use real transparency - not KS's confusing transparent black.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:14:26 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!