The large number of stickies on KS Level Editing Support

• 4 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
The large number of stickies on KS Level Editing Support
« on: January 18, 2010, 19:37:53 »
Like with my post about the colors, I'm posting this on a "I'll bring it up and see what happens" basis.  Of course, it's up to the administration's decision whether or not action will be taken (or whether or not it's even a problem in the first place ;)).

Anyways, the problem is that there are so many sticky threads on the KS Level Editing Support board that they almost completely dominate the first page! IMO, the number should be reduced.

Most of these threads are important in some way, but not all of them need to be stickied.  Here's some things you can do.

• You can consolidate threads by merging
  • You can move stickies to another board if appropriate

I don't know the mechanics of these moderator abilities, but they may be viable options for some threads... maybe.

• You can unstick a thread and link to it in another sticky

To list some examples, I don't feel that Bass' Tutorial Videos, Nifflas' Advanced Features Demo Level, or my Making Advanced Edits without KSM thread are sticky worthy.  However, they are most certainly worth a mention in something such as Miss Paula's FAQ.
(pre-post edit: I just realized that two of them already are)

• Some threads may just have to be unstickied

You may have to reconsider the criteria for stickying; what is helpful information, what is important information, and what is truly sticky worthy?

And this is just my opinion, but there are some threads that I think should retain their sticky status even if they are questionable in importance.  One such case is minmay's tileset guide; I feel that its purpose would be defeated if it was demoted and a link was simply added to it in another sticky.  Similarly, I feel that SiamJai's CO guide should stay up there, because it truly is helpful and I feel that as a sticky it is in the prime location to be found by people who are wondering about COs.

I've written up summaries for each of the sticky topics, to use as reference.
(in hindsight, this was probably just a waste of time)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

(Argh, why must I get serious deja vu every time I write something big? It makes me nervous...)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 20:59:22 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Re: The large number of stickies on KS Level Editing Support
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 20:48:42 »
Hm. The way I see it, a thread is stickied if it is particularly helpful. I don't see a large number of helpful threads as a problem. [/IMO]

Offline chipset

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 23:06:15 »
Yeah, it does look a little intimidating when I look at it now. Perhaps it would look better if topics regarding more specific issues were merged into more general topics (such as one for bugs, another for level editing resources/tips, etc.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 23:08:39 by chipset »
:hiddenstar: - thanks AClockworkLemon!

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 23:32:44 »
I've also thought about this myself, but I was unable to find a better solution. This is mainly because most of the topics are topics so people can reply to them with questions etc. If we unsticky them, and place them in a topic, people will not find them and create new topics. This is because they will look at topic titles and they don't suspect a FAQ topic to contain all the other topics. I wouldn't expect it myself honestly.

A subforum would work, but the stickes now have the same function anyway. Putting them in a subforum will only move the problem. If you want to see the other topics, just navigate to page 2.

I can look into increasing the number of topics so its not all stickies, but other than that, I don't see a simple solution.

EDIT: increased the amount of topics from 20 to 25. I can make this as large as I want, but when I tested 40 it became obvious that 40 is too much.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 23:35:45 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 00:21:53 »
I put some "smaller" topics in the FAQ and unstickied them, I think that's justifyable. No offense to the thread starters though! :)
An option to order the stickied topics would be a bit handy too, but I can't seem to install that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 00:32:12 by Miss Paula »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs: