Custom shift sound effects - is there a way?

• 13 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
Custom shift sound effects - is there a way?
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:29:48 »
I noticed how World.ini actually takes in the names of the sound effects for shifts (ShiftSound(A)=Electronic rather than something like ShiftSound(A)=2), and in wishful thinking I hoped that this was a sign that Knytt Stories implemented a way to have custom shift sounds.

So I took two files named CuicaMute.ogg and CuicaOpen.ogg and tried many things.  I tried putting them in the root of the level's folder.  I tried making a subfolder for them like with the other custom media folders (I tried several appropriate-sounding names, like Sounds, Sound Effects, and SFX).  I tried adding sections to the ini like this:
Code: [Select]
[Sound Effects]
CuicaMute=CuicaMute.ogg
CuicaOpen=CuicaOpen.ogg
or like this:
Code: [Select]
[CuicaMute]
File=CuicaMute.ogg

And in all cases, I made a point to try each of the following lines:
ShiftSound(A)=CuicaMute
ShiftSound(A)=CuicaMute.ogg
All of this was to no avail. Nothing I tried got my sound effect to successfully play during the shift.

Does anybody know if it's possible to set up a custom sound effect for a shift?  It looks like there's a system in place, but one thing is for sure: If there is one, it's really hidden!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:32:17 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Re: Custom shift sound effects - is there a way?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:47:36 »
No, unfortunately there isn't. What you can do, however is set the music of the room you're teleporting to as the shift sound you want to play (under music). If you already have a music file, re-save the default music and play it under a custom ambience track. If both your ambience slots are filled, I dunno.

Basically:

ShiftSound(A)=False, and then save CuciaOpen as [Your world folder]\Musci\music#.ogg or something (I've never used custom music, so I'm not the one to ask about this). Then set the music at the room you're teleporting to as #.
Lurk more.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:04:18 »
That certainly is a decent workaround in theory, and I considered it (and originally mentioned it in my post in it's draft stages).  To use it however will require a bit more work than that; you have to prevent the sound from occurring when the player returns to the room physically.  This will require behind-the-scenes shiftwork somewhere before the screen is exited.  And unfortunately, no shift is fully behind the scenes when you have a sign that is supposed to be visible for the entire duration of the room.  Instead, there is a little lapse in its display, which may confuse the player (especially given the nature of my level) and make them think they changed something.
Something will probably have to give.

Yet that's the only hitch I can think of.  Maybe I should try it anyways. It might not be too bad.

You also need to turn on the ShiftStopMusic flag on the shift, or else each sound effect will wait for the one before it to fade out.

EDIT: Actually, no background shiftwork is neccesary to accomplish it.  In the way I am using shifts in the level, it is possible for me to have two versions each of the initial layout and of the final layout (one each with sound and one each without), and use edge warps to control how they link up to the rest of the level.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:21:04 by Exp HP »
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Bass

• View Profile
    • BassNet
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:22:51 »
when you do the shift make it teleport you to a new room and have the music of that room set to whatever your sound effect is.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 10:53:36 »
If you already are using two ambience slots, you can either record them both playing onto one sound file, or mix them in a wave editor, useful for if you need three sounds AND music in a room.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 00:02:57 »
you can either record them both playing onto one sound file, or mix them in a wave editor

...if both of them are the same length, which is unlikely.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 00:32:51 »
Simple, cut the longest one so it's the length of the shortest one. Depending on the type of sound, you might have to chose where to cut carefully.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 00:52:38 »
@Exp HP: Use warps. They're a lot simpler than shifts and don't jump.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Simple, no?
Lurk more.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 01:30:49 »
(tells PP to look at the bottom of my second post)
(tells Bass to look at PP's first post)

I've had it up and running with warps for quite a while now. I even decided to prerender the sign text to a tileset and stick it on layer 2 instead of using a Sign object (it's a fake signTM); this way, the shifts that I want the area to have don't make it flash.

Sometimes the sounds don't play if I jump between the shifts too quickly.  But 95% of the time they're fine.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:33:51 by Exp HP »

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 01:34:51 »
Ah. Missed that. I still don't see why warps wouldn't work, though.
Lurk more.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07:21 »
Ah. Missed that. I still don't see why warps wouldn't work, though.
Exactly.  They do work.  I am using them.  :P2

Here's a diagram of the solution I'm using.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:35:47 by Exp HP »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:50:59 »
Simple, cut the longest one so it's the length of the shortest one. Depending on the type of sound, you might have to chose where to cut carefully.

Most ambience tracks used in KS will not cut well, particularily when you need a precise length.  This is not to say it isn't doable, but it's probably easier to make your own ambience tracks with merging in mind than it is to try to get two of the existing ones the same length and not have any sharp "pops."

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 05:54:20 »
You could try playing them at the same time to search for a cutting spot, but there's no guarantee it would turn out well.
Lurk more.

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 13:08:57 »
I tried it, it seems a simple cut usually isn't effective, not so much because of a pop, which can be fixed with a tiny fadeout before the cut, but because the sound timbre jumps. The only way to get around that that I can think of is cutting content from the middle of the file and crossfading the beginning and end of the sound (which are designed to lead into eachother) together, which is how most sampling programs create seamless loops, but that's going off into the realm of audio geekery.