The policy on getting permission for editing/making COs from tilesets

• 7 Replies

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
My level in progress has COs that use tile images copied from the tileset so that I can have tiles in front of the player.  Im going to PM Nifflas and ask his permission anyways (so far, they're all in Nifflas tilesets), but in case it is allowed to do this without asking permission, then I'd like to hear an umbrella statement that states such.  It would be good to know the next time I want FG tiles.

So my question is:
In general, do we have to ask the tileset author permission to create a Custom Object that uses a tile graphic?

Examples of times people may want to do this include:
  • To create foreground tiles that appear in front of the player.
  • To take a tile that is object-worthy (like the difficulty switch in Tileset 9) and bring it into screens without that tileset.

(the policy on this probably already has been stated numerous times, but I couldn't find it)

EDIT:Changed topic title to fit the reason why it was stickied.
Old title:Do we have to ask permission for making a tile into a CO?
New title:What is the policy on getting permission for editing/making COs from tilesets?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 16:26:58 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
Re: Do we have to ask permission for making a tile into a CO?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 20:30:07 »
I have the same issue with my project. My guess would be, to try and contact the author, they're almost certain to say yes (why would they say no?), and if you can't get hold of them, use it anyway, giving credit, and with the statement that you'll remove it should the author ask you to. That seems to be a sensible middle ground to me. But probably it's best to get an admin's take on the matter.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 21:50:24 »
Alright, after a brief Staff Discussion, I would say that the position on edits (or, uses as CO's, for that matter, I suppose) is as follows:
If you want to edit a tileset, ALWAYS try to contact the original author. When they cannot be reached, and you are in the honest belief that your edit is not "violating" the probably intended vision of the tileset (i. e. an overall rather minor change), make absolutely sure you give proper credit when using/editing their stuff.
This, of course, doesn't apply when the author explicitly, publicly stated that their tileset is not to be used/edited.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 23:06:13 by Miss Paula »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 22:20:03 »
Sounds like a sensible policy to me.

Maybe it would also be useful to have a thread in which people who are still around can, if they wish, give blanket permission/specific instructions regarding the future use and modification of their tilesets, objects etc. by other people, so that if they get swamped by Real Life or something, there'll be some reliable, accessible information?

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 22:38:18 »
In addition, perhaps when new tilesets are submitted, the authors should be encouraged to state their preference re: edits. Perhaps a flagging system? A choice between "Do not edit", "Minor edits ok" and "Do as you wish with it" (credit to be given in all cases, obviously) perhaps..

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 22:51:28 »
I've been wondering about "blank" tiles in default sets (the ones that actually say "blank".) It always seemed to me that they were left there for our use, but we had to ask permission to do so. Now, I guess it's OK.

Anyhow, according to the quotes below Nifflas doesn't always need to be asked for permission. I hope this is not invalidated by the new rule.

Is it fair to take a default set by Nifflas, and use it alone, or retextured/recolored as long as he is given credit for the original?
Yes. Nifflas posted on the old forum that everyone was allowed to remix his tilesets. Just make sure they are actually by him, as not all of the default sets are. You also can't remix the sets that appear only in the expansion pack levels. They are reserved for those levels only, and no one is allowed to use or edit them but Nifflas.

... unless ofcource you have Nifflas' permission.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Yeah, if you want to edit stock tilesets by Nifflas, that quote is correct.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Re: The policy on getting permission for editing/making COs from tilesets
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 06:33:31 »
I'd think that, as along as a tileset is for public use, it would be fair to use it as a custom object if you already have your two tilesets. Sometimes it's easier to just merge them, but this doesn't always work and can conflict with rules set by the authors. This is also helpful if you need more layers than provided.. As long as the sprites aren't edited, it doesn't seem like it's violating any rights. If you want to animate the sprite, it's different and permission should be asked, but otherwise I feel it would be perfectly fine.
That's not official of course, just my two cents :)
Dj.