[Normal] [Puzzle/Environmental] Hades

• 9 Replies

Offline poutini

• View Profile
[Normal] [Puzzle/Environmental] Hades
« on: December 31, 2009, 04:45:49 »
Hi, I finally finished another level.  I came pretty close to finishing it a few weeks ago, but then exam time hit and I quit for a while.  I decided to throw it together today just so I could be done with it.  It's not great, but I like the level design (and I put together a custom tileset which took me forever).  It's a continuation of my castle siege and library levels.  Enjoy!

http://knyttlevels.com/levels/Poutini%20-%20Hades.knytt.bin

Offline Firecat

• Every bit is important.
    • View Profile
Re: [Normal] [Puzzle/Environmental] Hades
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 06:49:39 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
There's 110011 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, Those who don't, and those who confuse it with ASCII.

Offline poutini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 06:53:10 »
I apologize - I suppose more work could have gone into the ending - but seriously, I don't have the time.  I know it's a lame excuse, but it's totally true.  This time of the year is nuts.  I hope you enjoyed a bit of the level at least.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 20:23:41 »
I thought this was actually much nicer than your earlier levels! It was a bit irritating to play because there were too few savepoints and it was very easy to screw up the entire thing and have to restart. Also, what Firecat said :( Usually it pays off to delay the release rather than release something finished in great haste.

Tyler66+

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 22:42:00 »
Very disapointing when people cant post pictures......Have you heard of Photobucket or imageshack?

Offline poutini

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:09:26 »
I thought this was actually much nicer than your earlier levels! It was a bit irritating to play because there were too few savepoints and it was very easy to screw up the entire thing and have to restart. Also, what Firecat said :( Usually it pays off to delay the release rather than release something finished in great haste.
Thanks, I put a lot more thought into the design of this one.  The save points were sparsely placed because I personally like the challenge.  Overall the platforming's not too hard, and after playing through it a few times I was able to get through with minimal trouble.  If I do another level I'll put a few more in there.

As for the hastiness of it all - I totally agree.  If I do another one I'll make sure it's as polished as I'm able to get it.  I've had a lot on my plate lately, and I just didn't have the patience to finish it properly.

Very disapointing when people cant post pictures......Have you heard of Photobucket or imageshack?
Yup.  I'll do that for the next level.

Offline Miyako

• 5Y5T3M M41D3N
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 13:30:53 »
I didn't like this at all. As a matter of fact there is a place you can save that completely ruins your file and makes you need to start over. Level 0/10. Its horrible. It even looks like you managed to reuse some of The Machine. >.>

Offline Sendy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 19:03:26 »
It needs more.... stuff.

Minimalism is fine, as is a monochrome aesthetic. But there was nothing that made me want to explore the level, no details or mysteries to drag me in. I haven't seen the ending, you say it's rushed, but to be honest the whole thing feels rushed to me.

Which part was from The Machine?

Offline Lunar Moss

• Je dors dans la forêt de tranquillité
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 04:07:49 »
It's a nice-looking level, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it; there were too few save points and there is at least one game-ending (i.e. it's impossible to progress) scenario.
In the moon, the stars, the streetlights,
In satellites.
In the sun, the sky, the headlights,
In airplanes.
In the dark, the cold, the damp,
In rainbows.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 21:23:13 »
Absolutely hated this level, and I agree with Miyako on all accounts.  From what I gathered, this level had somewhat of a "set path" that you have to follow in order to complete it.  The problem was that it was too easy to miss items or areas, and wind up skipping necessary parts.  For this reason, one could wind up stranded with no where to go(like the case of that save point).  If you are going to make a forced path for the player to follow, then I would suggest disabling them from taking wrong paths with no return, only to find that they cannot continue.  When a level is created like this, it becomes more frustrating then fun/rewarding.  At that point, what is the purpose of even playing it?  You tell me.

The level design had a unique feel to it, but it was rather bland.  A bland design for a bland level; fitting I suppose.

Also, just as was said above, at least take the time to make a half-decent ending, instead of a half-assed one.

I appreciate the effort put in, and I give you props for that.  But please, just give a thought to distinguishing between what makes a level enjoyable, and what makes a level annoying.

Good luck on future levels.