Orphaned video game music needs new parents.

• 2 Replies
Orphaned video game music needs new parents.
« on: July 28, 2010, 20:23:13 »
I've got a few pieces of music from abandoned game projects that needs a new host.

Some while ago (2008 to be exact), i did some music for two different projects, who both turned out to become vaporware. I won't discuss the games, but it's a pity the musical scores didn't come to any use.

For the first project i made a first level song and a game over song. they are electronic interpretions of the russian folk tune 'katyusha' and the soviet national anthem. the first one is a downtempo tune, the other is a tribute to the music in the NES game Rush'n'Attack and has a kraftwerk-ish feel to it.

For the second project i made a few attempts on rusty semi-ambient music, should possibly fit into anything with a dystopic or post-apocalyptic environment.

If this suits any project you are involved in, feel free to reply or PM me as i gladly would like to see that the music comes to any use aswell as i'm prepared to produce new music in the same or similiar vein.

The reason i don't post them here and now is because i'm not at home. Will do when i come home if anyone thinks it is interesting.

Regards,
Stefan

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Orphaned video game music needs new parents.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:29:47 »
Gamemusic is usually made as assignment for a game, not the other way around. It does happen, but its occasion is rare.

Usually with gameprojects, the plan is already made about the game, so the choice in music is not that hard to make for the designer. Often the mucisian is being shown some of the game so the music can match the feelings of the game very well. When the music doesn't match that well, a game usually turns out bad or the music is abandoned even.

The only way you can still make use of the music, is by sharing it so others might listen to it and then get inspired to change the game to fit your level.

In case of this forum, the music could also be featured in a Knytt Stories Level. Even then, you'll first have to share the music, so people who're interested can listen to it and then get ideas for a Knytt Stories level.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Re: Orphaned video game music needs new parents.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 13:35:55 »
Gamemusic is usually made as assignment for a game, not the other way around. It does happen, but its occasion is rare.

Usually with gameprojects, the plan is already made about the game, so the choice in music is not that hard to make for the designer. Often the mucisian is being shown some of the game so the music can match the feelings of the game very well. When the music doesn't match that well, a game usually turns out bad or the music is abandoned even.

The only way you can still make use of the music, is by sharing it so others might listen to it and then get inspired to change the game to fit your level.

In case of this forum, the music could also be featured in a Knytt Stories Level. Even then, you'll first have to share the music, so people who're interested can listen to it and then get ideas for a Knytt Stories level.

Thank you, very good tips. :) I know this approach was a very far and uncertain shot, since it requires that someone who reads it will go like 'uh, that actually sounds like something that goes well along with my idea for this or that project'. In other words, my approach was probably a mistake but it is at least good that i've written it down so i've got a good reminder to pick up the tunes from my old workstation when i come home and upload them somewhere.

And you're totally correct. I don't know how many times i've played indie games where i've actually muted the music because some developers also have musical ambitions (or friends) but that it doesn't really seem to fit into the mood of the game.