Any chance of distribution via Steam?

• 5 Replies

Offline Klaymen

• View Profile
Any chance of distribution via Steam?
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:21:53 »
I had a search around the forums and found a few mentions of Steam but no specific discussions about releasing on Steam.

So, any chance of releasing Saira (and all the other Nifflas games) over Steam? I think that would give the games brilliant exposure

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Re: Any chance of distribution via Steam?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:30:37 »
Nifflas H8s Steam. Period.

No dice for you...

I hate steam sometimes to. I lost my code for hl2 and couldn't play it, thanks alot steam. And today they fucked me over and crashed my computer.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:55:22 »
Actually, although Nifflas doesn't like the fact that you need another program to play your game, he did mention that due to the demand he would look into distributing it through steam. It turned out that he wasn't able to do that. I don't remember the correct reason. Could be something with the pay system or not being able to change the game to be distributed through steam.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 14:54:22 »
I removed some posts from this topic. I don't really think the posts were bad, but simply because they can potentially be a bit harmful for me when I establish contacts 'n stuff with networks like this.... The posts were based on things I was thinking years ago and isn't exactly up to date with my current opinion.

My attitude toward Steam have changed. Personally, I only buy software free of copy protection and without online activation, but since a DRM free and even portable option already exist for Saira on my website, I can't see why I shouldn't support other distribution methods as well since people obviously like them. These days I only have a problem with when DRM is the only option, but when it is not I don't mind making some extra sales. There's of course some extra work involved in getting a game out on more networks, but it might be worth it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:48:45 by Nifflas »

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 18:35:45 »
Well, if you need to support the Steam API you know where I am.. :)

Offline Klaymen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:38:34 »
I removed some posts from this topic. Not because I dislike the posts, but simply because they can potentially be a bit harmful for me when I establish contacts 'n stuff with networks like this.... The posts were based on things I was thinking years ago and isn't exactly up to date with my current opinion.

My attitude toward Steam have changed. Personally, I only buy software free of copy protection and without online activation, but since a DRM free and even portable option already exist for Saira on my website, I can't see why I shouldn't support other distribution methods as well since people obviously like them. These days I only have a problem with when DRM is the only option, but when it is not I don't mind making some extra sales. There's of course some extra work involved in getting a game out on more networks, but it might be worth it.

Awesome - well I think steam is good for indie games in particular from a sort of viral marketing point of view. If I see one of my friends playing Saira, I might think to myself "oh man I've been planning to check that game out but I forgot about it". Then you can message that friend and see what they think. That type of community type activity doesn't exist when you just do a one-off purchase the game via some website. I also think that a lot of people are like me and were waiting for Saira to come out on Steam before buying it, and then totally forgot about it - it was just pure chance that I happened to remember it again and buy it.