Saira for Best Game of 2009!

• 38 Replies

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Re: Saira for Best Game of 2009!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 09:34:54 »
I de-stickied the topic! Don't misunderstand me, I do appreciate the support and of course you are free to vote for Saira if you honestly think it deserves the title, I just don't want it to be or look like an "official" request, that can be misinterpreted as that I try to get people to vote.

I understand, and that was not the intention at all. Sorry about that, Nifflas!

Not going to vote for Saira. Don't get me wrong now, I like Saira but there is many great games on that list. Non gets my vote.
That's fine, but maybe you missed the point of multiple votes then. Jay himself wrote that it was designed that way so that people can vote for more than one game in the same category if so they wish. :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:53:53 by SiamJai »

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 17:24:13 »
I've voted for it twice all ready!  :^^:

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 21:31:32 »
Anyone can vote, no registration required, and you can vote once every day.
Thanks for saying this, btw. It got three extra votes out of me. :D
Lurk more.

Offline dvit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 12:20:03 »
I'm going to have to vote for a different game each day...

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 18:01:47 »
I voted Saira because Braid is already very successful and widely recognised, and I feel that Saira needs the publicity more.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 20:49:28 »
I voted Saira because Braid is already very successful and widely recognised, and I feel that Saira needs the publicity more.

same. it seems almost unfair that braid is even there to begin with.

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 16:41:57 »
Braid is the best game of 2008. Saira is fantastic, but I feel Spelunky is the best action-type game of 2009. (Machinarium is the best game of all, though.)
good bye

Offline Ax

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 21:59:38 »
I voted for Saira, no contest.  Look, Braid was certainly a landmark game...but the story is a mess that feels constantly like it's trying SOOOOO hard to be deep.  Saira on the other hand has a smart, simple, clear, and concise story.  These are traits that I think Blow could do well to remember in the future when he makes games.  There are also certain puzzles in Braid that just plain annoyed me and Blow's contention that 'no trail and error is necessary' to beat his game always struck me as bullshit (there's one puzzle that I'm thinking of in particular here).  The funny thing is I still love the game.  It's very fresh and a lot of the puzzles are beyond brilliant.

But, man, while playing Saira I just had a smile on my face from start to finish.  It made me happy and brought out a feeling of joy of exploration that Braid just can't touch. C)p

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 22:23:30 »
I voted for Saira, no contest.  Look, Braid was certainly a landmark game...but the story is a mess that feels constantly like it's trying SOOOOO hard to be deep.  Saira on the other hand has a smart, simple, clear, and concise story.  These are traits that I think Blow could do well to remember in the future when he makes games.  There are also certain puzzles in Braid that just plain annoyed me and Blow's contention that 'no trail and error is necessary' to beat his game always struck me as bullshit (there's one puzzle that I'm thinking of in particular here).  The funny thing is I still love the game.  It's very fresh and a lot of the puzzles are beyond brilliant.

But, man, while playing Saira I just had a smile on my face from start to finish.  It made me happy and brought out a feeling of joy of exploration that Braid just can't touch. C)p

Braid's plot is shaped by Jonathan Blow's personal beliefs on narrative and its relation to game design, and it's important to understand them before simply dismissing the plot. (Incidentally, I do not agree with most of Blow's ideas.)

Saira has a simple, up-front plot that serves as framework for the gameplay, and motivation for the player (finding Bobo). Braid has multiple levels of plot- the simple, up-front plot which motivates the player to continue (finding the princess), and then other levels of plot which you can disregard entirely without sacrificing much.
good bye

Offline Ax

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 07:35:02 »
Braid's plot is shaped by Jonathan Blow's personal beliefs on narrative and its relation to game design, and it's important to understand them before simply dismissing the plot. (Incidentally, I do not agree with most of Blow's ideas.)

Saira has a simple, up-front plot that serves as framework for the gameplay, and motivation for the player (finding Bobo). Braid has multiple levels of plot- the simple, up-front plot which motivates the player to continue (finding the princess), and then other levels of plot which you can disregard entirely without sacrificing much.

Yup, I know.  I actually have a copy of a very interesting talk Blow did about narrative in games.  I've also read numerous analytical pieces about how the plot is supposed to work.

I just don't really think that it does work the way it should.  I should also say that I don't necessarily just dismiss the plot of Braid.  There are a lot of interesting things going on in it and TONS of symbolism.  I think Blow is a very smart person and he has a lot of interesting things to say about games, but he suffers from the problem of knowing that he's a genius.  Braid feels to me like a little kid jumping up and down going "I'm so smart!", "I'm so clever", "I'm so great".  And in many ways it is all of those things.  But in some ways it's also a murky mess of jumbled philosophy.  I think Blow's work will improve if he just relaxes a little bit and doesn't try so hard to be what he already is.

Nifflas' games capture narrative in the gameplay so smoothly.  He builds worlds that feel lived in and real.  Yes, the story is very simple and serves mainly just as motivation to continue...but the real story is the story created by the worlds that you travel through and by your actions in them.  His genius is the way he lets you explore these worlds and discover their secrets.  You almost feel like a real participant in how the game unfolds.

Offline Miyako

• 5Y5T3M M41D3N
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 12:19:21 »
You know that dispite everyones great enthusiasm, there is no way in hell you're going to win right?

Offline Bass

• View Profile
    • BassNet
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 12:22:24 »
Despite the fact that I have never played Saria, I'd have to say there is no chance in hell I'd vote for it for best game of 2009.

MANY games that are better in EVERY way have been released in the past year.

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 07:39:47 »
you do realise that the vote doesn't count toward best overall game of 09, right? just that particular catagory that that particular website created. i guess the topic title could have been less misleading..

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 20:54:11 »
Despite the fact that I have never played Saria, I'd have to say there is no chance in hell I'd vote for it for best game of 2009.

MANY games that are better in EVERY way have been released in the past year.
How can you know that if you've never played it?
Knytt Stories won in its category in 2007 and Knytt came second to WaDF in 2006 so it's more than possible. This year the competition is a little tougher though, and Saira is a late arriver that has yet to establish the reputation of Nifflas' previous games.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 21:05:51 by Feline Monstrosity »
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 01:51:33 »
Results are up! Spelunky comes in first, followed by Braid then Saria.