Are you working on a longterm project?

• 34 Replies

Offline the Jack

• not *that* Jack!
    • View Profile
Re: Are you working on a longterm project?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 19:50:58 »
Another frustrating thing is sound - both sound effects and music. I'd like to find really well fitting music, and construct an interesting audio-atmosphere for the caves I'm building, but I've found very little music so far that I'd really care to use, and as for making or combining sound effects, I have no experience with audio-editing. Still, I suppose I could learn how to edit sound effect samples; that's not really the most daunting thing here. But the music problem bothers me. I've spent so many evenings searching, with so little success.

We should talk, perhaps via PM, about what kind of music you're looking for. One of my ongoing projects -- between working on levels -- is just finding & downloading both copylefted (i.e. can be used with just a CC-BY-SA & the original creator's name/s so long as the use is not-for-profit) or public domain music and copylefted or public domain sound effects for ambience use, stuff that I think would work well with KS even if I don't have a particular level in mind for it. If I had an idea of what you were looking for, either by description or from examples, I could keep an ear out for you. I have the one song you added for Falling Water part 1, of course, but I don't know how representative that is of what you're looking for in general...

Also, I have a mic, Audacity, and fair facility at both voice acting and foley work, so if all else fails I could make at least some effects for you.

Actually, it's eggplant.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 20:40:53 »

We should talk, perhaps via PM, about what kind of music you're looking for. One of my ongoing projects -- between working on levels -- is just finding & downloading both copylefted (i.e. can be used with just a CC-BY-SA & the original creator's name/s so long as the use is not-for-profit) or public domain music and copylefted or public domain sound effects for ambience use, stuff that I think would work well with KS even if I don't have a particular level in mind for it. If I had an idea of what you were looking for, either by description or from examples, I could keep an ear out for you. I have the one song you added for Falling Water part 1, of course, but I don't know how representative that is of what you're looking for in general...

Also, I have a mic, Audacity, and fair facility at both voice acting and foley work, so if all else fails I could make at least some effects for you.

That sounds rather awesome. I've been thinking about sound a lot recently; in fact, I'm leaning towards learning to make my own music, at the moment, because I seem to have a fairly precise idea of what I want, and it's not something that's represented by any music I've been able to find so far. (No, the song from part 1 is not representative. Although I do like it.)

But, I wouldn't be against a collaboration, either. I can't really say for sure, at the moment, though, because I feel my ideas about the sound of FW are still far from final. I think I need to mull this over some more. But, if you stick around a bit, we could talk about this later, when my thoughts have progressed a bit. We seem eerily compatible in other areas, so maybe we'd be compatible in the sound & music area, too. *g*

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 17:40:50 »
My son is waking up from his nap, so this will be my last post today.  I've still got chores to do anyway and have spent WAY to much time here.  ;)

I'm working on a large level called Undermind which will be both an easy game with a fairly complex plot, but also a kind of philosophical quest... if I can adequately figure out how to pull that off. 

I definitely write EVERYTHING down and do most of my level building on paper.  But I always get stuck on graphics work.  I get an image in my head and I can't accept anything less than almost exactly what I want.  This means making lots of tile-sets.  Unfortunately. 
So at this rate I don't expect to have it done any sooner than a year.  Good thing there are at least a few gamers like me doing the same thing.  Thank you LCP!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 17:53:21 »
I'm working on a large level called Undermind which will be both an easy game with a fairly complex plot, but also a kind of philosophical quest... if I can adequately figure out how to pull that off. 

I definitely write EVERYTHING down and do most of my level building on paper.  But I always get stuck on graphics work.  I get an image in my head and I can't accept anything less than almost exactly what I want.  This means making lots of tile-sets.  Unfortunately. 

With just a few paragraphs, you have managed to make me salivate with anticipation. Thank *you*! :D

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 16:54:19 »
One other comment

Every concept you work up, do at least 5 other version of it.  My best ideas come from rebuilding my good ideas.  And rebuilding.