[Hard] Fly to the crystal in Haakon

• 15 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
[Hard] Fly to the crystal in Haakon
« on: December 26, 2009, 22:40:56 »
To the right of the UFO, there's a crystal. Normally you get there by going through the cave and go the upper left path. There is a way to fly directly to that crystal without going into the caves! Can you do that?

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: [Hard] Fly to the crystal in Haakon
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 23:59:38 »
Done. :)

That's a nice one. x)

Offline scwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 00:33:04 »
Not hard >_>

Also done a whiles ago.

Offline Shawnachu

• Contemplating
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 04:35:26 »
It's tough. Getting momentum on the tiny slope is tricky.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 05:03:44 »
Yup got that one!  8D

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 15:33:16 »
Not hard >_>

Also done a whiles ago.
It is definitely hard. Can you see just any player being able to beat this? Skilled players often forget how hard something actually is, that's why an ordinary player would have trouble even beating a user Knytt Stories level posted under Normal. The Dragon Noir radio challenge is also hard.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 15:35:48 by Nifflas »

Offline victor12

• AKA victory man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 15:33:57 »
im going to try.;)
!@#@!~#@!#!! NINJA'D!!!
*victorY12 wants his nickname on the forums changed.
*victorY12 is not dead, he's still hanging out on IRC.
Spoiler: this forum's visitors (click to show/hide)
NOTE:If you see it, a new flag will appear
Ask me anything.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 19:10:59 »
I think this was posted a while ago, actually. In that topic you had to get the left crystal as well.
That was before there was a challenges board though.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline scwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 21:48:24 »
Not hard >_>

Also done a whiles ago.
It is definitely hard. Can you see just any player being able to beat this? Skilled players often forget how hard something actually is, that's why an ordinary player would have trouble even beating a user Knytt Stories level posted under Normal. The Dragon Noir radio challenge is also hard.
Well, this is certainly significantly easier than the radio challenge. I'll turn the radio challenge up to hard then lol. I guess it is harder than the other ones I posted.

I think we're doing it different ways. I'm doing it this way:

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 02:31:46 »
I'm doing it the same way, it's just very common to underestimate how hard things are when you're good at something. This is among the most common problems for e.g. beginner game developers, and why you can almost always be sure that you will never be able to beat someone's first computer game. I thought #modarchive story was "normal" when I created it.

A good guideline that I always use today is "Label every difficulty one or two steps above what you'd think yourself, depending on how good you are". This rule would have worked very well on the forums, I personally find most "Normal" knytt stories user levels to be hard, and I'm still the main designer of the game.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:35:17 by Nifflas »

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 06:06:36 »
The Dragon Noir radio challenge is also hard.
Only about as hard as
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

A good guideline that I always use today is "Label every difficulty one or two steps above what you'd think yourself, depending on how good you are".
I thought my level was very hard. Evidently, it was "bordering on lunatic." Heh. Maybe I should re-label my lunatic level. :P
Lurk more.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 18:40:22 »
The Dragon Noir radio challenge is also hard.
Only about as hard as
That's not true. I said the Dragon Noir radio challenge. I think you mean the statue one, which you can do even with several seconds of fly power remaining. Getting to the radio is a lot harder.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 20:22:48 »
Lurk more.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 00:20:37 »
I assumed you meant the statue, because what you otherwise say makes no sense. Getting to the generator is a shorter distance on an easier path. If you move perfectly, you will have almost half the bar still full when you need to use it. If you try to get the radio and move perfectly, you'll only have 5-15% of remaining power when you need to use it - and then the flying itself must be more accurate too so that you either get all the way to the top or hit the wall and boost vertically to climb the last distance.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 00:29:21 by Nifflas »

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 02:02:58 »
Sorry. Might be because when I first went looking for the green generator I found the radio instead. (Follow the wires, I know. :P) So I guess it just felt about the same going to the actual generator because I used pretty much the same technique. I suppose if I'd gone left first I would've found the other path harder because I would have to work harder to keep up the power. Whatever. Let's get back to the challenge at hand.
Lurk more.