Weird error

• 15 Replies

Offline Dynamite

• Stuck in a coloured spectrum
    • View Profile
Weird error
« on: December 24, 2009, 05:38:11 »
Ok so this is what happened:

I just collected the last piece for that machine in that earth-like planet (it needed a fuse, some homebrew thingy and something else that I forgot..) Anyways, yeah I just collected the last piece and I took my ship  to the earth-like planet and activated the machine. Then BAM!

My computer crashed and restarted  :oops:

That's not the problem, the problem is that when I loaded the slot up after I rebooted it came up with this error:

I can't play the game and that is the only save slot I have..
I didn't waste all my time to get that error! Any help will be helpful :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:40:03 by Dynamite »

Re: Weird error
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 06:50:16 »
Um.. maybe the savegame got corrupted?
Lurk more.

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:52:12 »
your computer crashed?!

When you activated it, did you activate the Teleporter or did you actually go on top of the teleporter and press use?

If you just activated the teleporter, IE put the fuse and impulse charge, and your computer crashed and saira got an error, then i have no idea.

The most likely thing is that you went on top of teleporter, your computer crashed either corrupting the lommond level or the cutscene. The Cant find screen could also be it trying to show the cutscene, as it is classed as a planet.

So, download the editor and check if all of lommond is still there or the cutscene.
Hopefully its just lommond, because then you wont have to spoil yourself.

Btw, teleporter isnt part of the dictionary either!! i can understand Saira not being there, but teleporter?

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 07:54:04 »
I'm guessing the savegame got corrupting while attempting to save during the cutscene or whatnot and now it's looking for an inexistant planet. :huh: I really don't know much about this stuff.
Lurk more.

Offline Dynamite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:03:27 »
I attempted to search for the file that contains all my save-game data but I couldn't see it in any of the game folders. Maybe the computer restart deleted the file o_o

Offline jimj316

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 11:33:59 »
this is the error I got, except it happened to me when I loaded the game, just before I was going to put the three items in the teleporter  :(

Spoiler: RAEV TIEM! (click to show/hide)

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 12:09:08 »
So does it crash when you go on lommond or go on the teleporter?

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 12:41:29 »
Ouch! It's almost impossible to figure out the cause of rare crashes that happens only to a few users. Locate the savegame in the user account's application data folder (this depends on which OS you're using, so it's easier to just file search for Savegame.ini) and check its content.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:43:10 by Nifflas »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 17:15:16 »
I guess a file was being loaded/written to when your computer crashed. I would advice to copy the entire gamefolder and then install over it. Big chance it'll fix the issue.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 18:41:44 »
Installing the game doesn't affect that. Savegames are kept at a completely different location and the savegame directory structure is created from the game itself, not the installer. The game does never touch any of it's own file either, it only opens levels for reading. I suppose if a crash can corrupt files only because the computer is reading from them, only then I can imagine the game itself breaking.

It's probably the savegame that is corrupt, so you must locate your savegame. If you use XP, it's most likely to be in C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\Nifflas\Saira\ and if you're on Vista or 7 it's probably C:\Users\{User}\AppData\Roaming\Nifflas\Saira\

You need to configure your system to show hidden files to see those directories though.

Offline Dynamite

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 11:41:04 »
I went into the application data folder and when I went into the folders Nifflas>Saira there weren't any files. I checked for hidden files but nothing showed up...It also says that folder is empty :\

EDIT:
Even running a search for "Savegame" proved no results ;__;

EDIT 2: I was looking in the wrong user folder, I found the savegame in the other user :) The reason why it wasn't showing up in the search was because I didn't have "look for hidden files/folders" ticked. :)

EDIT 3: Modified the savegame.ini and was able to finish the demo! Although, the ending is quite strange..
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:51:29 by Dynamite »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 13:48:41 »
How did you have to modify Savegame.ini ? I really want to know what information there were that you had to change, that's the only hint right now what went wrong!

The ending is only strange in the demo... then there's the full version :D

Offline Dynamite

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 13:52:04 »
How did you have to modify Savegame.ini ? I really want to know what information there were that you had to change, that's the only hint right now what went wrong!

Where it says "Planet=" and "Star=" there was nothing written next to it..it was just blank. I simply typed in the planet where I was up to (Lomond) and the star (Austra) and it worked perfectly :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 13:58:48 by Dynamite »

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 15:35:28 »
I wish I could somehow determine how this would happen, but I'm just absolutely clueless. Let's see if more people will report this problem.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 01:13:00 »
Can it happen if something saves while you're at the star selection screen, or perhaps travelling, and quit before you go to another screen? Perhaps the pinball game?
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex