What is this item for?

• 6 Replies
What is this item for?
« on: December 23, 2009, 16:45:23 »
I believe it's in object list number 1, with all the powerups.
A block with arrows inside of it, pointing outward.

Offline rrc2soft

• View Profile
Re: What's this item for?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 18:18:17 »
What is the number of the object?

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: What is this item for?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 18:18:54 »
It's used to make it so that when juni walks out of the screen, for example through the left, she doesn't end on the screen to the left, but rather to another one. It has to be programmed on the file World.ini. Some people here are probably better to explain this to you.

By the way, shouldn't this be on the forum for KS level editing support?

Offline Klämrisk

• I can't even recall why I have this duck anymore..
    • View Profile
Re: What's this item for?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 18:40:49 »
It is a warp object.

Engage.
Audial experimentations (Read: demos)
Crazy metal band I sing and play bass/electric guitar in

"Throwback" - a KS level in progress
I seem to recall starting a shift-animation frenzy and increased fascination in Juni's transparent body.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 18:57:06 »
duplicate topics merged
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 19:41:57 »
I'm guessing this object is how you get Juni to shift screens seamlessly, as opposed to the "shift" blocks, which aren't so seamless.

(or, perhaps, what you see here from 1:30 to 1:39???  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGvZa3tiYwY )

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 00:00:30 »
I'm guessing this object is how you get Juni to shift screens seamlessly, as opposed to the "shift" blocks, which aren't so seamless.
Not really.  Shifts and Warps have very different uses.

Edge Warps occur upon leaving a screen.  Essentially, they change which screen each edge of a screen leads to.  This lets you physically connect two screens in-game when they aren't actually adjacent in the map.  It also lets you make a screen wrap around itself, like you see in that video (by the way, yes, that does use Edge Warps); all you have to do is make the screen edges Warp back to the current screen.

Edge Warps can be set up in World.ini or in KSManager, your choice.  Then once you place a Warp object (the thing you're asking about) on the screen, the Edge Warps will start working.

There's also another kind of Warps: Flag Warps.  Those occur when the player enters a screen, making the player end up elsewhere if certain conditions are met.

But it's quite different from shifts.
Warps occur in-between screens, connecting areas.
Shifts are a part of the action, teleporting the player when activated.

Shifts and warps are both optimized for cases where the player ends up in the same screen: the screen won't be reloaded.  This is why the Warps in that video are so seamless; they keep you on the same screen.

If you made a Shift that pointed to another place on the same screen, you would find that it is just as seamless, because the game doesn't have to reload the screen.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 00:34:12 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!