Hypothetical help on Claymore ;-)

• 14 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Hypothetical help on Claymore ;-)
« on: December 23, 2009, 02:19:37 »
Okay... this is beginning to look like one of the (many, many, many) games that are somewhat beyond my reach, in terms of skills. But, just assuming I ever manage to whittle my 4-point-something minutes down to anything resembling the required 2.50, what exactly am I supposed to *do* to activate the machines? Because there doesn't seem to be any way to interact with them when I press D...

Also, is there a fun way to practice the skills required for the speedrun without, y'know, actually repeating the speedrun itself three thousand times? (I've done it a dozen times or so now.) Are there, for example, planet systems accessible at this point in the full version that would allow me to get better at the controls while actually doing some exploring? I'm currently playing the demo version.

(I think the only reason I got moderately good at KS is that you can distribute the learning curve over so many different levels there... That way, you don't run into the same brick wall all the time.)

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Re: Hypothetical help on Claymore ;-)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:36:44 »
Who was it that managed to beat this on the second try, with around ~30 seconds left? Anyway, this particular challenge seems to be very easy for some players, while being really hard for other. The main suggestions I can give are:

* Memorize carefully where the checkpoints are, and try to plan a fast way to go between them.
Spoiler: Or you can also... (click to show/hide)

* Remember that whenever you collide with a wall, if you hold Up Arrow, you'll get a vertical boost. This will enable you to navigate the level a whole lot faster.

* Whenever the fly power is on the way to the next checkpoint, use that!

If you get the full version and want to do the speedrun challenges last, you should avoid these stars:
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:41:29 by Nifflas »

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:54:42 »
Who was it that managed to beat this on the second try, with around ~30 seconds left?
Wait, what? Second try? 30 seconds left? Pfff...
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:44:34 »
what exactly am I supposed to *do* to activate the machines? Because there doesn't seem to be any way to interact with them when I press D...
I believe simply bringing up its window with D is enough.  If you need reassurance, then after you close out, try taking another look. The text should be different.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 06:25:59 »
Who was it that managed to beat this on the second try, with around ~30 seconds left?
First try, about 60 seconds left.  :^^:
Lurk more.

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 02:46:18 »
For me it was helpful to draw a sketch of the area on paper so I could see where to go next. Muting the sound during the timed run may also help. That music fits the mood, but it's also more likely to make mistakes during the adrenaline rush! ;)

Offline victor12

• AKA victory man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 19:40:53 »
First try, about 60 seconds left.  :^^:
0th try, over 9000 seconds left. :P
*victorY12 wants his nickname on the forums changed.
*victorY12 is not dead, he's still hanging out on IRC.
Spoiler: this forum's visitors (click to show/hide)
NOTE:If you see it, a new flag will appear
Ask me anything.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 01:32:27 »
O ya, I totally believe than. :P
Lurk more.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 16:56:36 »
For me it was helpful to draw a sketch of the area on paper so I could see where to go next. Muting the sound during the timed run may also help. That music fits the mood, but it's also more likely to make mistakes during the adrenaline rush! ;)

isn't the opposite true? i always thought the point of an adrenaline rush was to be "in the zone" so to speak. thought turns off.. instinct kicks in. less likely to make a mistake, imo.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 20:48:40 »
I suspect the game does not cause an actual adrenaline rush, but if it does the problem is that more blood is sent to the heart and skeleton, while less blood goes to the rest of the organs (which is a bit bad since you use a keyboard with your hands). Adrenaline is mainly designed to help you fight or escape actual threats, but it doesn't work that well for precision based computer games that requires accuracy. For that, it's a lot more effective to be very relaxed but still entierly focused. It's only under those conditions I can get anywhere in Spelunky :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 20:50:11 by Nifflas »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 02:57:48 »
Thanks for all the advice! I'm afraid I still get frustrated a bit too easily, though - I tried again, today (from the beginning, but this time with the full version), avoiding Claymore, but got pretty frustrated on what's-the-planet-with-the-poisonous-atmosphere-and-flowers instead... I think I'm going to have to play Saira in tiny doses...

Offline Widget

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 00:31:22 »
Thanks for all the advice! I'm afraid I still get frustrated a bit too easily, though - I tried again, today (from the beginning, but this time with the full version), avoiding Claymore, but got pretty frustrated on what's-the-planet-with-the-poisonous-atmosphere-and-flowers instead... I think I'm going to have to play Saira in tiny doses...

The first time I hit that planet I got destroyed in seconds... xD After that I spotted the tree and how that affected the health-bar. Once you've got that, just focus on dashing between trees and recognise that they're your "base points". Once I'd figured out how the planet worked I managed to step through the level ^^

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 08:06:17 »
I hadn't checked your site in months, but I came back this week and found Saira--beautiful!

Right now I'm trying to keep my cool as I get through the 2:50 trial on Claymore. I am finding I have better luck when I use my BF's expensive keyboard instead of my cheap-o one. It just seems more responsive when I am trying to jump + go sideways + hit 'up' so I can get the speed boost. I am probably lacking finesse, but I find the controls really challenging on this game. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't recognize the 'up' speed boost on my cheap keyboard.

Anyhow, I'm sure I just need to do a few more runs and I'll get it. I had 4 seconds left at 'h' when I ran into the laser like an idiot  :oops: a couple of tries ago.

Nice job on the new game! Once I finish this level I'll buy the full version.

Offline Antikythera

• The Great Machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 07:44:55 »
I never posted it on the forums, but I did it on my second try with 30 seconds left, I remember clearly. I was very proud. =]

Then
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
Menagerie - 25%
Skyline Spires - 5%
A Golden Hymn - 0%

The Great Machine, Antikythera, which grinds the blood of men into history.

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 08:48:10 »
the flowers always get ya on the first try <_<