Common Bugs

• 6 Replies

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Common Bugs
« on: December 22, 2009, 22:09:58 »
Oh look what I found in my random stuff folder. I remember posting it on the old forum and getting positive feedback... so why not here.
-------

I have noticed that almost every story I have played have contained bugs! Especially wallswims, voids and graphical errors. It's not easy to create a 100% bug free level, but here is my guide:
  • The most basic thing to do is to test your level and try to find bugs.
  • The most common bug is wallswim. That means you go to another screen; into a solid object. It can look like this:
    • To prevent wallswimming; If you place a solid object at the edge of the screen, always put another object with the same form at the other screen (see pictures below).
      YES: NO: NOT!:
    • You can detect wallswims with a program called KS Level Checker.
  • Another common bug is void screens, screens that is total empty and looks like this:
    • You can prevent players from reaching void areas by making walls with "no climb tiles" at the edges of the level, but the stuff below is better to use.
    • This wall can't be climbed because of the "ceiling":
    • You can also make an "endless ocean", place a long row of water that can't be jumped over:
    • Reachable areas that is meant to be empty should show a suitable background image, not the void background. To do this, go to that screen in the level editor and simply select a background. If the wanted background is already shown but the screen is marked as "empty", you can just hit save.
  • Graphical errors are not so bad, but they don't look good.
    • It can happen that you place a tile in the wrong layer, but there is no way to prevent that but being careful and test the level.
    • The same as above if you place the wrong tile.
    • If you want to have a custom tileset in your story, place it under Knytt Stories\Worlds\Your Level\Tilesets, not under Knytt Stories\Data\Tilesets. You can also do this in the KS Manager.
    • Something you can prevent is air-walking. Any creature that moves can move over gaps and in the air:
      To prevent that, simply place solid objects so the creature is "trapped".
      YES: NO:
  • And I also want to add that I've seen many Challenge/Environmental levels. A level can't be both of them, Environmental is only compatible with Playground and Misc since it can't contain any enemies, jumps, challenges or puzzles.

I will update sometime later.

-------
Thanks LPChip for sending me the version on the old forum!
Also fixed the Level Composer link. It linked to a topic on the old forum, but since this is the new forum it linked to a completely unrelated topic here. But now it's a download link. Fixed again. Didn't notice there was a topic about it on this forum. It's even a sticky... lol.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 16:28:34 by LimeLemon »
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Common Bugs
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:28:09 »
LimeLemon, you win an Internet.
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 06:28:11 »
Should be stickied right away!
Yup.

I think maybe shift, warp, etc. bugs could be added?
Lurk more.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 19:41:08 »
Its also a good idea to add, that if you place a tile on one screen on layer 3, and on another on layer 2, it can result in a wallswim too. Also if you go to an empty screen and hit the save button there it'll save that screen as edited too. You don't actually need to change the background. Just hit save.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 22:35:26 »
Don't forget about bugs with COs! Incorrect animations and incorrectly placed one (due to offset problems) are things I've seen in some levels.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 03:25:41 »
WAT! Sticky? :whoa:
Strange it didn't sticky on the old forum, when I had even more stuff in it then... but... this is not the old forum. :P
And I will probably add some off those suggestions now that I see the topic is popular, but it's christmas and stuff so maybe later. And it would be awesome if the old forums went up soon so I could easily add the stuff I didn't save on my computer!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 03:37:43 by LimeLemon »
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)