Fire-function? Weapons?

• 7 Replies

Offline DustinCartwright

• Independant Game Designer and Life-Long Gamer
    • View Profile
    • MobyGames Profile
Fire-function? Weapons?
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:59:37 »
Curious to know if the Knytt Stories engine is applicatable to have weapons of some kind, I did see however in Mushroom Engine that you can get enemies to be vanquished by jumping on them -- how would I go about coding something like that?

Thank you   :crazy:

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
Re: Fire-function? Weapons?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:25:07 »
Is this for the assignment?
if so, you can ask to see if you can use a modded version of the game, then use mmf2 to make weapons.
If not, knytt stories dosent support weapons, but you could make shifts on top of the enemies so that when you land on them they disapear.

Offline DustinCartwright

• View Profile
    • MobyGames Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:51:23 »
Yeah this is for the assignment, trying to make the most out of the engine to really wow the class and the teacher... I mean, as you can see, I'm the only one in the entire class who registered for the forums where the engine came from in the first place  8)

I think it's a little too late for me to change engines, plus I don't think my team mates would want that...
Maybe if this game does well and people like it we'll make a bigger and better sequal or re-make, thanks for the response

I'll try out that Shift idea, seems solid enough

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 00:39:05 »
Also, if you are going to be using custom enemies, I.E in the tileset/co, then you could make it 1 tile and a half, and make the top bit were you jump on it passable, so its a bit more realistic. Becausee it might shift before juni even touches the monster  :ohnoes:.
EG.

Yes, that is a monster.
---000-----this bit transparent with a shift on the same place.
---000-----\
---000-----/  These bits solid/hurt blocks

Offline DustinCartwright

• View Profile
    • MobyGames Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:50:20 »
Makes sense, thanks  8)

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 01:33:24 »
As far as putting shifts on the enemies, how do you get the shifts to follow them around?

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 01:53:33 »
....you cant  :(
the enemies have to be stationary.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 01:59:37 »
You can't.  It has to be a stationary enemy.

Trying to make custom enemies is very limited even if you use the KS engine to its very fullest.  The best you can manage is an enemy that is stationary and that appears to perform an attack by shifting the player through a sequence of screens that each represent a frame of the attack (careful design of the attack's graphics is necessary because its shape will have to be possible to fill with Kill Tiles).

Everybody mostly only does this sort of thing for boss battles.  It can make spectacular bosses, but only subpar enemies.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:21:04 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!