worst controls in the history of all platformers

• 24 Replies

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Re: worst controls in the history of all platformers
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 02:08:30 »
Flaming whiners should be banned. Trust me, he was not joking.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 02:56:19 »
I banned this user. I didn't spend a full year on the game (not including the time I photographed for it) to put up with this kind of crap. I added customizable actions keys to PREVENT key jamming, if somebody have a keyboard that can not handle up+left+s, it's very likely that it can e.g. handle up+left+shift. This is unrelated to the ban though, I added that for the arrogant comment about the "worst controls in the history of all platformers", as if he have played every single one of them, and knows mine is the worst.

I do encourage people to tell me about potential problems about my games, but not by using superlatives about how horrible it is compared to everything else on the planet. For that I'll just ban without warning.

YES, Don't let people ridicule your game. ESPECIALLY SAIRA :whoa: . The controls are decent but i don't care about the controls once im used to it. So far, This has been the best game i have played on the computer and it will get better once i purchase the game so i finish it and make level (yes, i am trying. Although it is unsupported, it interests me  :D)
I have been interested in your games since knytt stories, The editor interested me then i downloaded the other levels and it was awesome. I say its better than most computer games. I want you to keep making games linke that when you have the time. Banning the flamer wasn't foolish, You were just standing up for yourself and the saira fans. Basically, Your games reached out to me. Nifflas FTW.

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 04:16:33 »
I hate to say it, but I do not support Nifflas' action here.

IMO, the statement was neither a joke nor a serious flame.  It was an exaggeration.  There is no way that the OP honestly thinks that Saira does indeed have the worst control scheme ever in the history of platformers.  Of course it's not.  It's like when somebody says "it's as hot as the sun out here."  Of course it's not that hot outside.  It's just really hot.

That is what we call a rhetorical device in English.  His words say one thing, but they mean something else.  An exaggeration isn't meant to be taken at face value, because everybody knows it isn't true.  A statement like "Saira has the worst control scheme ever in the history of platformers" does not mean anything beyond "there is a big flaw in Saira's controls."

I'm sorry, but I do not believe this guy is trolling.  I do agree that real trolls should be banned; if there is somebody who flames you and your games without end, who will never change their opinion, and who is only here to make our lives on this forum hell - then that person deserves a ban.  But in a situation like this where the person has only made one post and isn't an obvious and unmistakeable troll, you can't be quick to judge.

The way you handle negativism is important, and people really appreciate it when somebody with such a status as you is approachable.  If you
can show somebody that you have a good head on your shoulders and are responsive to criticism, they'll be less judgmental of you.  If you ban them... you'll make things worse.

That's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:33:48 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 04:31:12 »
It's not about wether he means it or exaggerates, it's about how he puts it. He can either say it in a impartial way or he can write it in a rude way intended to put me down. I'm absolutely clueless how you can think that "there is a big flaw in Saira's controls" is equivalent to "Saira has the worst control scheme ever in the history of platformers". The first one is fine to me, the second is exactly the stuff that sucks up all inspiration. Spend eight hours per day over a year on a project and then try to just be neutral and nice to somebody who says that aspects of it is the worst ever in the history of [insert subject here].

I could attempt to have a public illusion of "ooh I'm so open to opinions and can handle anything that people say to me without responding emotionally, even to strong exaggerated tactless criticism" and secretly take offense but just eat it all up pretend to be open to everything while it kills my inspiration, or I can be the asshole I truly am and be be offensive when someone is rude to me. I'd probably be a better person if I could handle the first alternative, but I just don't. :(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:03:18 by Nifflas »

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:59:30 »
Well, then that's fine. I don't support your attitude, but I won't be one to tell you to change it. :)
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 05:54:39 »
Well okey then, Abracadabra, magical attitude change *bell tree sound effect*! I'm now immune to rude comments!

(I really wish that's how life works)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:00:03 by Nifflas »

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 06:05:57 »
I banned this user.
Bravo, Nifflas.

@Lighning Eagle: Mine also jams with left, up, down. I can't imagine why you'd need to use those three keys at the same time, though.
(I really wish that's how life works)
Indeed.
Lurk more.

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 07:23:24 »
I also had problems with the controls in Saira, but it did not make me dislike the game at all. I changed the buttons and moved on.

Although I get what Exp HP is saying, Nifflas does not need to refrain from emotion when someone attacks something he is passionate about.

People are entitled to criticisms and opinions, but show the artist some respect.

Offline AA

• Was ITA84
    • View Profile
    • Insight on Videogames
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 08:36:57 »
Since this was the first and only post of ftmachine, and since it clearly wasn't spam, I would have waited at least for his/her second post before thinking of a ban. That said, I completely understand why Nifflas acted like this: it sort of was a personal offence, and registering to the Forum just to say that is extremely unpolite, to say the least.

I had problems with similar keyboard limitations more than 10 years ago, but I didn't know that using a modifier key instead of a normal one wouldn't count.
Videogames are for everyone, by everyone

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 09:51:24 »
anybody who signs up to the forum just to post such a blatantly dickish topic (sorry for the language, i know it's discouraged on this forum), clearly when it's a problem on his end, well, who could blame nifflas? i'm all for freedom of speech but i don't care what happens to a person with that kind of attitude. and in fact, the forum is better off without those types anyway. i really doubt it was a light-hearted "joke", i believe that it was just a troll trying to upset nifflas.